Conditions?

GolfingOwl

^ I think I can safely say the past three weekends since I started my season up there working has been fantastic, with this past MLK weekend the busiest I have seen in 7 years working the mountain. ALL parking lots were full and they were even using the lower lots, something that hasn't happened since I don't know when, and bus traffic was insane.

Sunday afternoon, once it warmed up that little bit the place just went off the charts, base area was jammed...lodge was impassable, the race event only added to the excitement, and even the well oiled liftie crews were swamped, but they got the job done and once again Sno ranks tops as far as I'm concerned in getting people to the top of the mountain in record time.

Ok, yeah..I work there so you would expect me to waive the flag, but in all honesty I have to say personally, not speaking for the mountain, that I was impressed, and I hope all of you were as well, but please keep the suggestions flowing.

Not sure about the rest of the year but the crowds were light today. Though that is why we ski Sno on holidays.

Conditions were really good, nice fast crunchy pack powder. Sno does a great job with their snow making and grooming. Boomer was the best trail today. Didn't ski White Lightening as I was skiing with 6 young kids most of the day.

Only gripe is the Long Haul was closed and looks to be closed for the season. Real problem isn't having to take two lifts to the top but making it very difficult to get to trails on the far left of the mountain (if looking up).

^ I think I can safely say the past three weekends since I started my season up there working has been fantastic, with this past MLK weekend the busiest I have seen in 7 years working the mountain. ALL parking lots were full and they were even using the lower lots, something that hasn't happened since I don't know when, and bus traffic was insane.

Sunday afternoon, once it warmed up that little bit the place just went off the charts, base area was jammed...lodge was impassable, the race event only added to the excitement, and even the well oiled liftie crews were swamped, but they got the job done and once again Sno ranks tops as far as I'm concerned in getting people to the top of the mountain in record time.

Ok, yeah..I work there so you would expect me to waive the flag, but in all honesty I have to say personally, not speaking for the mountain, that I was impressed, and I hope all of you were as well, but please keep the suggestions flowing.

OK. I'm a fan of Sno and will be there Saturday, February 5th with 5 Sno newbies and 2 been-there-befores. Skiing Elk Friday and talked them out of Greek Peek on Sat. in favor of Sno. Uncrowded days I can see them not running the Long Haul. It's never crowded and you can take the Phoebe and Iron Horse to get to the top. But I would think they would at least run it holidays. Is it down for the season? Not inspected? Is it down to save money? I'll take a "no response" or "I don't know" as a "Yes" to all three. Not trying to be a wise guy but since you work there you either know the answers or can find out. Not disagreeing with their decision. Just wondering.

^ No problem. It's been a much asked question as to what is going on with LH.

Since I only see weekend action and for the most part LH doesn't run during the week much, yeah...I miss it too.

Nothing sinister or anything like that nor is it one of those "Sno is Doomed" things either. LH I think is the longest lift of all resorts in this region, just under a mile long one way with usually 190ish chairs on it. Since the lift disaster in New England last month every resort is under the microscope as far as their lifts and operations.

Yeah, I hear ya.."Why wasn't it done in the off season?" I can't answer that as I am not there at that time, but I'm sure that there is a valid reason for it. I am assuming it was started and then when that New England mess happened everything is being done over, or maybe they found other issues that need to be addressed. I do know that they did remove some chairs, now down to 170 or so, and maybe it's taking just that long to re-calibrate the distance and then re-number the chairs. (A small thing like chair numbers will fail a lift if they are not in order)

As far as failing an inspection? No, as the inspectors were there to inspect the beginner lift...I think it's more of a scheduling issue with the state. Doing an inspection on a lift that long is quite the job, and I'm sure Sno wants it in perfect condition before they go thru that ordeal, again esp because everyone is so uptight now.

I know one thing, Sno will not operate that lift, or any other lift on the mountain unless it is completely safe. These guys really take things seriously with this stuff. Sure, a seat pad might need replacing now and then..and I don't know how many times they put a new safety bar on #41 on Phebe (broke AGAIN! Sunday)...but..your safety is paramount to all of us. Sounds cheesy but it's the truth.

That lift does not run due to the expense of running it and getting the extra people to staff it. Look at the past history of that lift all the way to the montage days. You can say its not running for saftey but they are feeding you a bunch of BS if thats what they are telling you. Thats why in the past they would on;y run it on holiday weekends. Now it is not even close to busy enough to run it. Before the county ran Montage into the ground the place used to be packed with long lift lines to back it up.

Edited by skier17

Given that the water barrels used to weight test lifts are still on the chairs I think it is safe to say that it has not been inspected. I don't think it is a staffing issues, but rather they need the state to pass the lift.

I hope they are waiting on some small parts or something and not something $$$$$$$. I'd love to see the lift open soon, but wont hold my breath.

Given that the water barrels used to weight test lifts are still on the chairs I think it is safe to say that it has not been inspected. I don't think it is a staffing issues, but rather they need the state to pass the lift.

I hope they are waiting on some small parts or something and not something $$$$$$$. I'd love to see the lift open soon, but wont hold my breath.

If the barrels are still on the lift then they have a problem of some sort. I do know for a fact that in years past they have always had staffing issues with all lifts. Espically later in the season and long haul was always the last concern.

Hey, about long haul... I only worked for a few years, but obviously, and it should be no secret that running an extra lift when it's not necessary on the week days is not cost effective and doesn't bring more customers, it's always been like that for as long as I could remember, besides that, It's probably not maintained as strictly as the other lifts because they open the other half of the mountain first and move towards that lift, plus, it's a really, really long lift, meaning more towers, more components, more chairs, and probably a larger motor meaning more strain on the drive.. There are probably tolerances the lifts have to hold and I'm betting a lot more components or something I have no clue about is out of these tolerances, and it's not worth fixing. If I were sno right now and a manager, I'd try to prove to the investors that this place does turn a decent profit, then start dumping money back into it in a couple years.. If sno want's to be a hit, just be something close, reliable, well groomed, and not completely packed like the rest. An amazing park? shut up and go to boulder, nice fast lifts? go somewhere else, but what good are they when you have a lift line. yea, sno usually has like a 30 second lift line. plus it's somewhere close for like 5+ cities at the base of the mountain... The business is right in front of them and obviously they're on the right track.

An 8 pack... Okay.

just a rant, I've come to the conclusion that the terrain is pretty much at it's limits, I've looked at topographical maps (google earth) and can't map any feasible runs or lifts. Ohh and when people say "It was built on the wrong side of the mountain, the terrain on the back side of the mountain isn't that great, plus gaining access via roads would be nearly impossible unless they had a road to the top of the mountain and the lodge, and lift drives based out of the top of the mountain.

Skier17, you don't know what your talking about.

The only staffing issues they really had was scum bag lifty's not showing up for work, The year's I worked they didn't really skimp on scheduling employees and I was a lifty the first and second year sno mountain existed, It's not montage anymore so get over it.

long haul is an agonizingly long lift, I'm sure If they opened it, you'd ride it like once or twice and get over it, specially when it's cold out.

I'm really excited The mountain is doing well. This is great news to me..

Hey, about long haul... I only worked for a few years, but obviously, and it should be no secret that running an extra lift when it's not necessary on the week days is not cost effective and doesn't bring more customers, it's always been like that for as long as I could remember, besides that, It's probably not maintained as strictly as the other lifts because they open the other half of the mountain first and move towards that lift, plus, it's a really, really long lift, meaning more towers, more components, more chairs, and probably a larger motor meaning more strain on the drive.. There are probably tolerances the lifts have to hold and I'm betting a lot more components or something I have no clue about is out of these tolerances, and it's not worth fixing. If I were sno right now and a manager, I'd try to prove to the investors that this place does turn a decent profit, then start dumping money back into it in a couple years.. If sno want's to be a hit, just be something close, reliable, well groomed, and not completely packed like the rest. An amazing park? shut up and go to boulder, nice fast lifts? go somewhere else, but what good are they when you have a lift line. yea, sno usually has like a 30 second lift line. plus it's somewhere close for like 5+ cities at the base of the mountain... The business is right in front of them and obviously they're on the right track.

An 8 pack... Okay.

just a rant, I've come to the conclusion that the terrain is pretty much at it's limits, I've looked at topographical maps (google earth) and can't map any feasible runs or lifts. Ohh and when people say "It was built on the wrong side of the mountain, the terrain on the back side of the mountain isn't that great, plus gaining access via roads would be nearly impossible unless they had a road to the top of the mountain and the lodge, and lift drives based out of the top of the mountain.

Skier17, you don't know what your talking about.

The only staffing issues they really had was scum bag lifty's not showing up for work, The year's I worked they didn't really skimp on scheduling employees and I was a lifty the first and second year sno mountain existed, It's not montage anymore so get over it.

long haul is an agonizingly long lift, I'm sure If they opened it, you'd ride it like once or twice and get over it, specially when it's cold out.

I'm really excited The mountain is doing well. This is great news to me..

You do realize it is on the wrong side of the mountain because It faces south west, not because of the terrain. Also the backside of the mountain is half a mile from Rt. 502 in Pittston Twp and Moscow.

So Santa people not showing up for work is not a staffing issue. Wake up thats a huge staffing issue. Trust me I know what I am talking about. As far as montage I was just saying that before the place was ran into the ground they had people there like it or not.

When I say the place was ran into the ground I do mean by Lackawanna county and not by Sno when they took it over.

sno mountain skier, I looked more into it, and yea it's closer, to a road than I thought, but the top to bottom vert is shitty compared to the side there using and the terrain isn't as diverse.

skier17, regardless, so your upset because the company didn't staff enough people to make sure every lift was fully staffed every operational hour of the week? when they could make a smart business decision and try to save money.. Yes, dirt bag employees are a staffing issue, but huge? did the place go under? did some tragedy occur because of a lack of employees? are any of my or anyone else's complaints due to a lack of liftys? My mind's on something else and I'm not prepared to defend any negative little point of my response, boo fucking hoo, long haul blows anyway, the only thing it's good for is being able to pound down a couple of beers on the way up. get off on northface lift, take a little trip down the hill and get on iron horse, it's not that big of a deal.

sno mountain skier, I looked more into it, and yea it's closer, to a road than I thought, but the top to bottom vert is shitty compared to the side there using and the terrain isn't as diverse.

skier17, regardless, so your upset because the company didn't staff enough people to make sure every lift was fully staffed every operational hour of the week? when they could make a smart business decision and try to save money.. Yes, dirt bag employees are a staffing issue, but huge? did the place go under? did some tragedy occur because of a lack of employees? are any of my or anyone else's complaints due to a lack of liftys? My mind's on something else and I'm not prepared to defend any negative little point of my response, boo fucking hoo, long haul blows anyway, the only thing it's good for is being able to pound down a couple of beers on the way up. get off on northface lift, take a little trip down the hill and get on iron horse, it's not that big of a deal.

I never said I am upset. All I said is a possible reason that the lift is closed is not enough staff. I also said it is expensive to run. So I agree it shoulkd be closed when the mountain is not busy.

KCSKI, Thanks for your reply. Even if it was a little vague. I assume the lift has not passed inspection. To be honest, if I was management I would not run it most days either. Sno really skis like two mountains, the top is blue and greens and the bottom is blacks. Even the top to bottom trails are not well designed in that they get steeper at the bottom and are not really good for beginners and intermediates. Better for them to stay on the top of the mountain. While the lines were into the parking lot at Blue and CB on MLK weekend, I'm sure the lines were short and conditions were good at Sno. It's a shame that people don't know enough to drive an extra half hour for shorter lines and better conditions. If I was in PA last weekend I would have been there. Please keep us informed of the progress at Sno. They need the press. I'll still be there 2/5 with 6 people who never skied there.

I never said I am upset. All I said is a possible reason that the lift is closed is not enough staff. I also said it is expensive to run. So I agree it shoulkd be closed when the mountain is not busy.

You really think two lifties couldn't be scrounged up to run Long Haul if they wanted it open? I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

• Like 1

KCSKI, Thanks for your reply. Even if it was a little vague. I assume the lift has not passed inspection. To be honest, if I was management I would not run it most days either. Sno really skis like two mountains, the top is blue and greens and the bottom is blacks. Even the top to bottom trails are not well designed in that they get steeper at the bottom and are not really good for beginners and intermediates. Better for them to stay on the top of the mountain. While the lines were into the parking lot at Blue and CB on MLK weekend, I'm sure the lines were short and conditions were good at Sno. It's a shame that people don't know enough to drive an extra half hour for shorter lines and better conditions. If I was in PA last weekend I would have been there. Please keep us informed of the progress at Sno. They need the press. I'll still be there 2/5 with 6 people who never skied there.

You're welcome, and I apologize for the vagueness but I can only tell what I know so best not to add to it if I don't have all the facts, and I steer clear of internet forum battles as much as possible until things settle down.

Regarding lifties: This past weekend we were running 3 on the bottom of each lift operating, and of course the top shack with 1, Tubing had 6, 3 top, 3 bottom...and ticket checkers at the top by Phebe nabbing poachers coming from the parking lot..and of course yours truly here randomly checking wherever I happened to be, so...no liftie issue...except on Sunday night things went goofy, and skier17 did hit a valid point...absenteeism was way up for some reason, but..you can't pin that on the mountain. You can't hold Sno responsible for this. We scheduled them, they didn't show up. All of us supervisors that came in at 6am that morning pitched in and stuck around well past our quit time, and I didn't leave myself personally until around 8pm, even keeping a radio on me as I was taking pics of my team practicing on mainline off the clock, so..no..don't blame the mountain for that, but it is an issue, but not exclusive to Sno I'm sure.

The LH lift never runs during the week so that is not the issue. Again, yeah...how would you like to get the electric bill for that thing? I know I wouldn't. Yes, it's a cost saving issue and it works well that way. For all the years I have worked there it only operates Friday night thru Sunday up until 5pm except on major holidays, so again I don;t know what the big deal is over it. Yeah it sux that it's not running ON weekends, but bitching about it doesn't help any really. It will run when it is ready.

To all here, I will keep you as informed as I can, but keep in mind I can only report what I know, and also keep in mind what I say is not the official voice of the mountain. I'm a "Weekend Warrior" up there so I'm not privy to everything that goes on and again I steer clear of those that like to create bullshit just for the sake of stirring things up. Don't have the time for that and it serves no purpose.

The people at Sno read these comments I'm sure, so by all means keep the suggestions coming, even if it's to bitch about something.