Brighton 4-23-11

trackbiker

Skied Brighton Saturday because I hadn't been to either of the Big Cottonwood Canyon areas and Solitude closed last weekend. Started snowing as I passed Solitude. Arrived at the lodge at 8:50 and parked in the first row near the lodge. All the areas here open at 9:00 even on weekends which is Ok with me since I got in from Moab late Friday night.

First lift was Majestic because it was closest to the lodge, a fixed grip quad. One of the ssslllooowwwwest quads I ever rode. Thought it was going to be closing time before I got to the top. Conditions were fresh soft cord with a dusting of powder on top. Temp was 26 at the base and it felt a lot colder up top. No wind. The morning was mostly clouds with some sun but snowing lightly the whole time. I put sunscreen on because I didn't want to get fried like I did at Mt. Rose. The woods and off piste were crusty powder but everything else was great. The Scree Slope was cut up powder but skied well.

After lunch the snow picked up and after 2:00 it really started dumping. So much so you had to brush yourself off when you got off the lift. So much for expecting spring conditions. The conditions just got better as the day went on. It was amazing how much easier it was to ski the off piste stuff with 2 to 3 inches of fresh powder. Saw a lot of people heading into the glades when no one was in them in the morning.

All in all one of the best days of the season. In spite of that I wasn't impressed with Brighton. A lot of flat areas in the middle of the mountain and no sustained steeps. The Great Western Express lift was closed and that is where the steep stuff is. I bet they open it tomorrow with the new snow. But even the blues on the other peaks would be greens at Okemo or Stratton.

The snow base is really deep and only three areas in the SLC area are still open. Alta and Brighton close tomorrow. Snowbird will be the only one left.

4db3aeec6a2f8.jpg

4db3af9045739.jpg

4db3afe6e93d8.jpg

4db3b0156572f.jpg

4db3b0924eec9.jpg

4db3b206d7018.jpg

4db3b24956f6c.jpg

4db3b272bd293.jpg

4db3b2d2658ca.jpg

4db3b2f8ea525.jpg

4db3b49340f65.jpg

4db3b4e072ed0.jpg

i never really thought stuff out west would still be skiing this well. definetly not the same as late season stuff on the east thats for sure. pics look great. need to move utah up on the list.

You want to ski deep pow go to UT end of story, no where outside of maybe interior BC is even close.

If great western was closed (clayton peak?) then this would severely limit your options, Brighton's not that big if you only look at the groomers.

Each to their own but I cant imagine anyone not liking Brighton (except Alta snobs).