Tanglwood Saved?

Ride Delaware ?

I couldn't find it placed on the map, and the skiing section of their website seems to redirect you to other mountains, but I found this link while looking through some skiing news. If I remember correctly, it is a small mountain built mainly to drive the "family destination" four season resort in Northeast PA. It claims to be a Pocono resort, but I believe it is actually farther Northeast than Elk in the Endless Mountain region. I dont know about its elevation or natural snowfall, and since it only has a 430' vertical, I doubt any of us have been there, but in the middle of summer, it is some type of ski related news. I am guessing that even though the resort wasn't open in 10/11 (it was open in 08/09 and 09/10 after being closed in 07/08), that most of the infrastructure is still there and in fairly good shape. Hopefully they will revive the ski operation (based solely on the fact that I hate to see ski areas close) and it will open this year (although that may be a stretch). Has anyone actually been there? Could it potentially turn a profit again? Do people vacation there?

Here is the link:

Tanglwood Sold

Edit: In another article I found, it "remains unclear whether the new owner will maintain the operation of the ski facility."

Edited by Ride Delaware ?

Elk is much farther north than Tanglewood..Tanglewood is near I-84...I went there for the ASRA go pro race in 2006 with Atomic Jeff..Metz the Jersey Boy...Ski999 and Skimom..it's got wooden chairlifts..very cold...and open xmas-early march...not as good as Big Boulder..I won't be back..

I didn't figure anyone would go back, and I probably never would go there, but if I had it in my backyard in Delaware, I wouldn't complain lol

Its actually pretty far North... Definitely farther north than the rest of the Pokes... But definitely farther South than Elk... Same distance to the state line with the curve in the far Northeast... Anybody know the elevation?

I've skied there like 30 years or more ago.

I couldn't find it placed on the map, and the skiing section of their website seems to redirect you to other mountains, but I found this link while looking through some skiing news. If I remember correctly, it is a small mountain built mainly to drive the "family destination" four season resort in Northeast PA. It claims to be a Pocono resort, but I believe it is actually farther Northeast than Elk in the Endless Mountain region. I dont know about its elevation or natural snowfall, and since it only has a 430' vertical, I doubt any of us have been there, but in the middle of summer, it is some type of ski related news. I am guessing that even though the resort wasn't open in 10/11 (it was open in 08/09 and 09/10 after being closed in 07/08), that most of the infrastructure is still there and in fairly good shape. Hopefully they will revive the ski operation (based solely on the fact that I hate to see ski areas close) and it will open this year (although that may be a stretch). Has anyone actually been there? Could it potentially turn a profit again? Do people vacation there?

Here is the link:

Tanglwood Sold

Edit: In another article I found, it "remains unclear whether the new owner will maintain the operation of the ski facility."

Scan of ancient (1975) ski map showing where it is:

post-68-0-49391700-1309287117_thumb.jpg

A 1982 ski brochure from Pa said it was 415'. A weekend day ticket for an adult that year was $11.

Edited by sibhusky

To be perfectly honest, a $50,000 loss isnt that much in the whole scheme of things... If Magic Mountain can revive itself, slowly sell shares, and do all its capital improvement work itself, while also starting to break even, then I am sure Tanglwood could make it happen...

To be perfectly honest, a $50,000 loss isnt that much in the whole scheme of things... If Magic Mountain can revive itself, slowly sell shares, and do all its capital improvement work itself, while also starting to break even, then I am sure Tanglwood could make it happen...

I skied Tanglewood with my daughter who is a low intermediate two seasons ago. Nothing for experts but a great little family place. It was very uncrowded for Christmas week, and grooming and conditions were very good. No lift lines.

I recommend places like Tanglewood, Alpine Mountain, Eagle Rock, and Ski Big Bear to people who are taking their kids skiing for the first time or who are low level skiers. Those skiers aren't skiing black diamonds anyway and would avoid the crowds of the Camelback's and Blue's. They just have to figure out how to market themselves to those type of skiers.

Tanglewood is essentially on Lake Wallenpaupack. There are a lot of vacation homes there. They need to market to those people in the summer to get them to come and ski in the winter. I hope they make it as a ski area.

• Like 1

Well, it obviously WAS able to be profitable for at least 30 or so. I just think the down economy has impacted vacation home purchases, recreation, etc. and it didn't have the cash flow to weather the economic downturn. You know, Camelback years ago was in the same boat, that's why the Village at Camelback was sold off early in its days to someone else and the Camelback-linked real estate today is actually Northridge. They had to sell off the Village to cover their bills.

Interesting... I never knew that... Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually have a small village if this hotel/indoor waterpark ever gets built... I think it's ridiculous, but it's placement may one day allow for eastern expansion which I support for any ski area...

• 2 months later...

My family has a house on Lake Wallenpaupak and I grew up skiing at tanglewood. In the morning we used to go to Montage, then head home and eat/hang out and at night hit up TWood. They had coupons all the time and night time skiing was $8 for adults and $6 for kids. Reallllllly small but when I was younger my brother and I always had a good time. They had one decent length "lazy mile" type to the far right side that was enjoyable. Last thing I remember was them making it into tubing I think