nike 6.0 is no more

Justin

saw on NS but there is now official confirmation, nike 6.0 is dead and their freeskiing team is no more. apparently their focusing more on the nSb side of things and will continue to support bmx, wakeboarding, surfing, and of course snowboarding.

sucks they dropped the skiers but I get it. I guess dumont wont be getting 60,000 pairs of sneakers anymore, and we'll never see any nike ski boots.

Edited by Justin

not sure where on NS you heard that but its a rumor. they just signed turski. they are not getting rid of the free skiing team. they will continue to support the sports that they had supported, but it will be under the name NIKE not nike 6.0. they wanted to do it to make the shoes seem less individualized i guess is the word for it. basically SB shoes can be used for bmx and 6.0 shoes can be skated. basically youll be seeing less and less of the 6.0 or SB logo and more just NIKE.

they've actually invested even more in skiing and snowboarding this year, which will show up later in the season.

Edited by MollyProsser

yeah i still haven't seen anything of this. they've added to their team, upped their marketing, are now sponsoring several big time events (dew tour, us open of surfing) under the 6.0 brand. why would you build momentum behind a brand that over the past few seasons has definitely gained a big following only to kill it/merge it into your main entity? in my opinion, having 6.0 as a separate 'brand' from regular nike is what helped them get into the action sports industry in general. nike tried to break into it with the ACG stuff a few years back, mostly on the outerwear/hiking boot side of things and really didn't make much of a dent at all. as far as i can tell, they got everything right with 6.0, so i don't understand why they'd be trying to kill it, and i haven't seen anything official that suggests they are.

most official source -----> http://n-sb.org/10311/official-nike-6-0-is-dead/news/

http://www.newschoolers.com/ns/forums/readthread/thread_id/639278/

posts by schiller and bishop confirm on the NS post...but n-sb.org indefinitely confirms. it's not happening right away but slowly over the next few years when the contracts are up. they want to just focus on being a good skate, surf, and snowboarding brand apparently with a separate, smaller bmx team. freeskiing doesn't really have a place in any of this.

6.0 was originally created to get their shoes into more shops (and places like zumiez) when they tightened up the distribution of nSb dealers a few years back. it started off as a joke to corporate pretty much and wound up being something really good. now they're pulling the plug and restructuring. 6.0's were never made up to the standards that nSb shoes were. they'd rather focus more on their premium shoes, and most importantly giving premium shoes to their athletes instead of pushing 6.0s. I don't blame them.

most official source -----> http://n-sb.org/1031...0-is-dead/news/

http://www.newschool...read_id/639278/

posts by schiller and bishop confirm on the NS post...but n-sb.org indefinitely confirms. it's not happening right away but slowly over the next few years when the contracts are up. they want to just focus on being a good skate, surf, and snowboarding brand apparently with a separate, smaller bmx team. freeskiing doesn't really have a place in any of this.

6.0 was originally created to get their shoes into more shops (and places like zumiez) when they tightened up the distribution of nSb dealers a few years back. it started off as a joke to corporate pretty much and wound up being something really good. now they're pulling the plug and restructuring. 6.0's were never made up to the standards that nSb shoes were. they'd rather focus more on their premium shoes, and most importantly giving premium shoes to their athletes instead of pushing 6.0s. I don't blame them.

didn't know that the quality of the shoes wasn't up to par, i've never owned any 6.0 shoes, just lots of regular nike stuff. interesting situation, and kind of surprising they're potentially pulling out of skiing seeing as how there's going to be a lot more media focus on it with the next winter olympics.

what youre saying about the shoes is true though, Nike 6.0 was used to appeal to a completely different market then SB. core shops are going to get a chance at carrying SB before say a zumiez or pac sun. Ive heard from very reliable source that its all going to flow into one brand just as NIKE. basically like the website reads “Nothing changes for the sports we’re involved in. BMX -as well as all the sports involved in 6.0- continues to be important for us as does our world class BMX team. No one is getting kicked off, none of our marketing initiatives will be lessened. Nike 6.0 and our BMX team’s involvement at the US Open of Surfing is a good indicator of this.” Said Kevin Imamura " theyre just neutralizing the other brands like skiing and bmx under the nike name.

as for the quality of 6.0s. theyre a different price point then the sb shoes and meant for different purposes. they take imput from the team riders for shoes like the oncore 2 and braata, the oncore 2 had imput from garret and nigel and really turned out to be a super solid bmx shoe. while they have other shoes in the line that are more of a "kids will buy this from zuimiez" shoe like the oncore high.

Edited by MollyProsser

saw on NS but there is now official confirmation, nike 6.0 is dead and their freeskiing team is no more. apparently their focusing more on the nSb side of things and will continue to support bmx, wakeboarding, surfing, and of course snowboarding.

sucks they dropped the skiers but I get it. I guess dumont wont be getting 60,000 pairs of sneakers anymore, and we'll never see any nike ski boots.

Nike was never going to make a ski boot. Ever.

was up at the headquarters in NYC the other night and got the official word on the whole 6.0 thing. basically all their new stuff is just going to say nike on it. eliminating the 6.0 logo. with their main focus changing i guess it makes sense that they get rid of the 6.0 logo because it originally stood for the 6 action sports. theyre still going to continue to support the other sports but will put and increased focus on snowboarding skating and surfing. the nike snowboarding line was designed to have a little more of a refined style and the 6.0 line was designed to be super durable and just really get the job done. next year the two lines will be combined with some SUPER sick boots and outerwear that i think everyone will be stoked on. they really nailed it. this year and years past you could find stuff that said nike, nike snowboarding, nike 6.0 and even nike acg, but now all the lines will be combined together.