so it looks like new boots for me

guitar73

mrs guitar and i had an appmt last nite with a local boot fitter and he confirmed my suspicion: my boots are too big and soft for my feet. i wasn't planning on replacing my boots after only 3 seasons, but i suppose if the boot doesn't fit properly everything else will suck. it was our first time to a real-deal boot fitter, so i didn't know what to expect, but i was really impressed with the process (it was actually kinda fun!).

the funny thing was that i was fully expecting him to say my wife's boots weren't appropriate for her and that she had to get new boots....nope, apparently she picked right the first time, i didn't! oh well, i guess that's how it goes.

the dude gave me a list of suggested boot models to try on and order. i'm looking at a few boots....the atomic rt sc 100, the salomon x3 100 cs, and the lange rs 110.

let the games begin..lol!

Get whatever feels best on your foot, some peeps here go super stiff....I disagree because if you can ride you can ride on two 2x4's with flip flops.

Lange is generally pretty low volume, particularly in the toe box. Additionally the first buckle overlap on the majority of lange boots lets alot of air in.The Atomic is narrow across the board. I don't know anything about the solly's other than they have Head's shell extender dealio.

I ride on a pair of really comfy 90 flex Superchargers with man fur and pull handles, I can and have spent as much as 5 days straight in them. Occasionally when I get sloppy and in the back seat I'd like a little more stiffness to leg it out but 99.9% of time 90 flex is good for me.

right now I have nordica beast 8's....they're a 75 flex. my feet & calves are low volume, so I guess it makes sense to go with a racing boot. I also have kinda long shins, so I can flex a 100 pretty easily.... we'll see how things turn out. I just hope I get this squared away before stuff opens up around here!

went to bill kaplan in feasterville. nice guy and seems to be very knowledgable.

Where in feasterville? what ski shop specifically because I used to work at a shop and was a boot fitter for 3+ years around there and they used to typically try to steer people towards boot brands they carry/can order ever if the customers boots already fit them just fine.

Hey Guitar heard great things about Salter's and its right by you. Right off of Ride pike going away from Collegeville.

yeah, i've been to salter's before.....nice little shop. i also heard good thing about his boot fitting skills. did you get your boots there?

yeah, i've been to salter's before.....nice little shop. i also heard good thing about his boot fitting skills. did you get your boots there?

I didn't because last year was my first year skiing so I didn't know what I would need/want. But my neighbors who are both execs in local ski clubs get there boots from there and they have been very happy.

update: so i ordered my selection of boots. went with the atomic rt sc 110 (all red), the salomon x3 100 cs (translucent grey), and the lange rs 110 (only comes in smurf blue). can't wait till they arrive :clap2

so you are buying 3 pairs or just ordering the 3 and returning the 2 that don't work... I'm lost here.

I stopped by wicks on the way by there last weekend cause they had some huge tent sale thing outside. Really nice place, never stopped in there before even though I've been by it a million times. Bought some pants for my middle child and a fleece Jacket for the wife. Ended up talking to their bootfitter just to see what he'd say. Guy seemed pretty knowledgeable and more thorough than others I've been to in the past at my usual shop. I might be looking into some new boots a little more. He recommended 2-3 as well Lange rs110 wide, Dalbello viper 12, and salomon quest 10 all seem to have a 100 last and 110 flex. My current boots are 103 with 90 flex. I want to stop by a few more places just to see what others recommend to see if there are any patterns and to see where I am most comfortable at that point. I might even end up with what I already have for all I know, its definitely worth the research anyway.

• Like 1

@shadows..... my problem isn't that my current boots wore out; i didn't get the right boot in the first place.

@phillycore....yeah, it's a pain in the butt that i had to order them....but he doesn't sell boots...i knew this going in. the guys at wicks are def knowledgeable. you may also want to check out salter's ski shop in eagleville/collegeville.

I need a new pair of boots also, but I'll probably wait until I get to work to see if I can snag a pair cheaper... It's also not as hard for us one plankers... Just try on a bunch of boots and pick the ones that feel right... If you want a real snug form fitting feel, you can always get the ones you can form at home in the oven... I'm sure there are snowboard boot fitters out there, but they aren't as necessary as ski boot fitters in the whole scheme of things...

I got my orthotics at Salter's, and they did a great job with them. As for buying boots there, they only carry Dalbello. However they have the full line in pretty much every size.

• Like 1

I need a new pair of boots also, but I'll probably wait until I get to work to see if I can snag a pair cheaper... It's also not as hard for us one plankers... Just try on a bunch of boots and pick the ones that feel right... If you want a real snug form fitting feel, you can always get the ones you can form at home in the oven... I'm sure there are snowboard boot fitters out there, but they aren't as necessary as ski boot fitters in the whole scheme of things...

ever look at nikes line of boots? i tried on a pair at buckmans the other day and fell in love. if i hadnt just bought ride's last year then i wouldve snagged them. decently priced as well.

definitely check out the nike vapen, its priced at 199 but definitely is not a price point boot. the liner has a lacing system that keeps your heel perfectly in place. they are heat mold-able, but they can be worn without it too. if you like something a little stiffer the zoom forces come in at only 250 and are heat mold-able as well. in both models the sole can be removed if you have a wider foot or like a little more wiggle room, as the cushioning comes from elsewhere in the boot and not the insole. Both boots are known to hold up very very well but one difference between the zoom force and the vapen is the vapen uses a softer foam for cushioning while the zoom force uses an actual air pocket.

Edited by MollyProsser

definitely check out the nike vapen, its priced at 199 but definitely is not a price point boot. the liner has a lacing system that keeps your heel perfectly in place. they are heat mold-able, but they can be worn without it too. if you like something a little stiffer the zoom forces come in at only 250 and are heat mold-able as well. in both models the sole can be removed if you have a wider foot or like a little more wiggle room, as the cushioning comes from elsewhere in the boot and not the insole. Both boots are known to hold up very very well but one difference between the zoom force and the vapen is the vapen uses a softer foam for cushioning while the zoom force uses an actual air pocket.

I'll be sure to check it out... You dual discipline?

If you are looking for an awesome all mountain boot I recommend checking out thritytwo.... I have a pair of the lashed boots and they are awesome, no heel lift, comfortable, light, warm and perfect balance between flex/stiffness... I think they retail around $150 but you can find some as low as $100 if you snag last years model and in my opinion worth every penny. I also like the fact that thritytwo is exclusively a boot company as that is their sole focus making boots.

If you are looking for an awesome all mountain boot I recommend checking out thritytwo.... I have a pair of the lashed boots and they are awesome, no heel lift, comfortable, light, warm and perfect balance between flex/stiffness... I think they retail around $150 but you can find some as low as $100 if you snag last years model and in my opinion worth every penny. I also like the fact that thritytwo is exclusively a boot company as that is their sole focus making boots.

Thirty two is a solid choice as well. it really comes down to what fits best. though i highly reccomend nike i have a pair of thirty twos myself and thirty two does also make outerwear.

i have a snowboard and do ride it sometimes but i wouldnt say im very good. check out method board shop in lafayette hill pa. dude there named sean can really help get you in a good pair of boots and they are really nice people down there. hes got thirty twos and nikes in. they have both brands in a few different models and colors and will heat mold them for you if thats what you like.. you can find them on facebook or www.methodskate.com. the facebook or just calling the shop is more reliable though.

Edited by MollyProsser

• 2 weeks later...