Elk Blowing snow?

jeff

Def. had a bit of snow on the slope when i was up sunday. don't think they are shooting for this weekend, but haven't heard anything as of yet. Cold temps coming!

If you combine all the factors and Elk's opening history, I would say they probably won't open this weekend... They always open Susqy, East/West, and the beginner slope side to side, and while their snowmaking has gotten better, I don't think it's good enough to put down the 24" base they love to have before opening. In years past, even with a late start, they have been more likely to stash the snow and open the following weekend with more options. If this were the week before x-Mas, they might push it, but I doubt you'll see it this weekend...

Yup, pretty acurrate. The real pisser last year was closing with 100% of the slopes still open, with no bare spots on the front that i could see. We closed up the house first week in April and it looked so skiable. I think a lot of pass holders were tweeked bigtime because they closed early. But business is business i guess.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is what KC was referring to in the Sno thread... Either way, I hope this gets resolved soon... Elk needs all the access it can get... Sounds like the condo association has an argument though...

Maybe this is what KC was referring to in the Sno thread...

That's got to be it.

.. Sounds like the condo association has an argument though...

Interesting..this battle has gone on for years. The regulars can't believe the mtn would deny that access for the Village. I know several people who have boycotted the mtn for this reason, and many others don't spend a dime on anything but the skiing..only because they love the sport.

ive talked to people on snowmaking up there...apparently this pond in question doesnt even get used for snowmaking. elk just spent a ton of money building several new snowmaking ponds across the road from the mountain. I dont think blocking access to the shared pond would really do much. all talk

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone up at Elk this week? I am heading up Friday for Winterfest and am curious how they are making out with their snowmaking. It looks they have had a few good days weatherwise but it doesn't seem to have translated into additional open terrrain. Does anyone know if they are blowing on everything or just a few trails at this point.

Is anyone up at Elk this week? I am heading up Friday for Winterfest and am curious how they are making out with their snowmaking. It looks they have had a few good days weatherwise but it doesn't seem to have translated into additional open terrrain. Does anyone know if they are blowing on everything or just a few trails at this point.

I can tell you from a fact they don't have the ability to blow on everything at once... They will concentrate on several trails and open them... I would expect several more trails by the weekend...