2011-2012 P.A.S.R. Utah Invasion thread....

phillycore

Utah was the first place I rode "out west" and I went back for 4 consecutive spring trips (twice each spring in the later years), it truly is an amazing place and as stated earlier, Pmow is something special which few people have anything bad to say about. I am really surprised to hear anyone say they prefer Alta over the 'Bird. As a boarder I obviously have no way to judge Alta, but it's hard to see how it could exceed snowbird. (Also, skier only resorts are retarded and can suck my wiener).

Since moving to CA, I can look at things without any "first time" love involved and I would still say that depending on conditions, Squaw is in the same bracket as snowbird and for me, Alpine Meadows has some of the charm of both Brighton and P-Mow, now that the resorts are joined I think this becomes one of the biggest and best options in the lower 48.

All that said, change is always good, despite being 3-4 hours from Squalpine, I will be arranging a trip back to Utah this spring. The fact that it's taken me three years to do this though says alot about the quality of the CA resorts, and of course about the amzing snow years we have had the last 2 seasons.

Nice post. I went in fully expecting Alta to be the greatest mountain in the world based on everything Ive heard, read etc. But snowbird blew me the F away. I put it ahead of Alta for the extra vert, more bowls, more pitch etc. Not that Alta doesn't have any of that. S bird just has more of it. Alta does have more trees and definitely holds powder. I can't imagine a trip to Utah without skiing either places but if I had to choose one its snowbird hands down. Plus the laid back, old school shit that everyone raves about at Alta doesn't do anything for me. I'm there to ski.

Edited by Ridge Racer

I only put Alta ahead because of the variety of terrain and its ability to retain snow. Jackson Hole, Snowbird, and Squaw Valley are in a class by themselves when it comes to gnarly terrain. I am not a vert or terrain whore. I will take mellower terrain with better snow over wind blown steeps any day of the week. I prefer trees and chutes to open bowls and steeps. Alta has a ton of playful terrain while still having bowls, steeps and fast groomers. It had the best variety of any mtn I've skied at which works for me in the fun factor. I loved Powder Mountain for the same reason.... I like the others too and if I went to Utah with a snowboarder I could skip Alta and still have a blast, but if I had only one day to ski and conditions, cost and company were all equal... I'd choose Alta.

I like steep terrain with good snow that's why I like Jackson hole.

Then you would love Snowbird and Squaw too.

Big sky whistler...three of the Aspen mountains...grand Targhee is 2,000 vert and I will no longer give up a JH day to ski there. By comparison a place like Northstar is über short. More like a new England area.

Whistler doesn't count 'cos it's in Canada, the others, are they much over 2k? Northstar isn't even worth mentioning in the scope of this thread, only dumb ritz-carlton tourists ride there after the first few days of the season and it's easily the most a-typical of the tahoe resorts.

scratch the question over Aspen, they are all 3k+.

Edited by Timeless

Doug, First and foremost stop being an asshole. I fell maybe 4-5 times total in 6 days of skiing. I don't go ass over tea kettle on every run, and hell even if I was to in the future if I'm having fun doing it than who the fuck cares!

Of those falls most were due to hidden rocks from thin cover.

I push myself pretty damn hard so falling or getting out of shape from time to time happens and I'm more than ok with that.

I find the falls funny which is why I post that shit up, just like I post my MTB falls up as well.

You don't need to be a douche about everything, I don't claim to be any better than anyone else on here, I am simply out there having fun doing what I love to do and sharing my love for the sport with others.

The last thing I needed to do was go on a trip to JH with some guy who can't get through life without taping illegal substances to his gonads, and who can't control himself in the marked slow skiing areas putting others at risk.

You're like 30 years old man..... you're the true to life version of Jay from Jay and Silent Bob.... Everyone laughs AT you not with you....it's honestly more sad than funny in reality.

I'm a mature father of 3 and skiing JH with a wannabe rapping pothead isn't exactly on my bucket list.

80" in 8 days is epic, but I'll take 8" in 6 days with a bunch of friends who have a great time with no drugs,no drama and not even a single argument the whole trip any day over bullshit and an epic storm.

I'm only going to speak for myself here, but I know seeing the JH thread when I was out in Utah the only thing that stuck out wasn't the epic snow storm.... it was the fact that I felt bad for Johnny and Jeff.

:werd

1. I wouldn't put Alta in my top 20, place is alot more talk than substance. The history is cool, the slack is good but I prefer the other resorts. It also gets tracked faster than any other place I can think of. It can snow 3ft and 2hrs later the place looks like a Beaver creek ad.

2. Why would you talk shit on PC, he is not a dick waiver. I talk alot of shit because its entertaining so feel free to sling some shit back my way but don't shit on non combatants.

3. Everyone likes a good vilian and GSS fits that roll, sometimes he earns it sometimes not. He is actually kinda funny if you think of it as one big performace art piece. That said be careful, the mob mentailty that is so prevalant ends up turning into a circle jerk. Doug is still a person.

1. I wouldn't put Alta in my top 20, place is alot more talk than substance. The history is cool, the slack is good but I prefer the other resorts. It also gets tracked faster than any other place I can think of. It can snow 3ft and 2hrs later the place looks like a Beaver creek ad.

It's hard to judge a place based on one day visit too..... Visit somewhere on a powder day and it could be the best day of your life, revisit it another day and the place could suck.

Snowbasin and my Obsethed's didn't get along with the snow they had the day I went, but I bet on a pow day the place kicks ass... I was real high on basin going in and not high going out....

It reminded me of Breck with a lot of windblown shit and fast groomers... The groomers were great, but I didn't go there to ski groomers.

The day I went to Alta was 5 days after the 8" we got that week and there was still fresh to be found, the snow was soft, there were steeps and trees galore to play in. It might have been great timing or all the ropes we had to go through that people were avoiding or something, but it left one hell of an impression.

Snowbird we hit on the powder day, I expected it to be great, but never expected to like it anywhere near as much as JH or Squaw...as I had put those two in a class by themselves it delivered big time..

PowMow surprised the fuck out of me, I always heard good things but I was expecting it to be really wide and flat... The stashes that could be found were sick, and powder country was off the chain..... I left there thinking wow, I really under rated this place...with a huge ass smile on my face. (I might've had a slight concussion though....lol)

Ratings are what they are to the person who skied them and the conditions that they got while skiing them.....

One thing's for sure though and it's not even debateable for me any longer....

Deer Valley is no way in fucking hell a #1 rated resort.... unless it's only being compared to those in Pa.

All you guys can throw your jabs but when I do you guys get all butthurt. I could go on and on insulting all the Utah people..but I stop now. Ever since Johnny Style freaked out at me I've wanted to smash a puppies head in and I like dogs. It's all good..I've been known to cast spells on People. Vibes to you Phillycore...

Phillycore you're unfriended from Facebook. Who's next????

With everything that has happened to me in the past year and a half or so, your spells could only make things better.....

I've lived through trying to eat myself to death, and kidney stones the size of the rock of gibralter not to mention a slew of other things that I don't feel the need to share right now...

I think I'll live not having you as a facebook friend....

I'm sorry the Truth hurts......

• Like 5

It's hard to judge a place based on one day visit too..... Visit somewhere on a powder day and it could be the best day of your life, revisit it another day and the place could suck.

Snowbasin and my Obsethed's didn't get along with the snow they had the day I went, but I bet on a pow day the place kicks ass... I was real high on basin going in and not high going out....

It reminded me of Breck with a lot of windblown shit and fast groomers... The groomers were great, but I didn't go there to ski groomers.

The day I went to Alta was 5 days after the 8" we got that week and there was still fresh to be found, the snow was soft, there were steeps and trees galore to play in. It might have been great timing or all the ropes we had to go through that people were avoiding or something, but it left one hell of an impression.

Snowbird we hit on the powder day, I expected it to be great, but never expected to like it anywhere near as much as JH or Squaw...as I had put those two in a class by themselves it delivered big time..

PowMow surprised the fuck out of me, I always heard good things but I was expecting it to be really wide and flat... The stashes that could be found were sick, and powder country was off the chain..... I left there thinking wow, I really under rated this place...with a huge ass smile on my face. (I might've had a slight concussion though....lol)

Ratings are what they are to the person who skied them and the conditions that they got while skiing them.....

One thing's for sure though and it's not even debateable for me any longer....

Deer Valley is no way in fucking hell a #1 rated resort.... unless it's only being compared to those in Pa.

hahah on DV, that place fucking blows relative to the other hills but you can see if you aren't voting based on skiing than its number 1. The food is amazing, the place is almost as posh as Basin and they will schelp your shit around for you. My mom fucking loves that place and I think that is the type of person who votes.

I've spent close to 100 days in UT, probably 20 or so at Alta. I've ridden it with lots of Pow and it still isn't my fav, its fantastic don't get me wrong but I prefer the bird or Brighton. If you can ride slack Brighton has a whole nother dimension the others don't. Alta has Grizzly, Wolvy Cirque and obviously Superior but those are high conquence with alot of uphill.

Don't sleep on Solitude, they get alot more peeps than they used to and the lift setup is strange but honeycomb and under the patrol station off Powderhorn hold excellent lines. Plus when you get up on Fantasy its like a canned AK mini, you feel so fucking cool for like a week.

Basin, Pow Mow and Sundance are conditions based resorts. You have to check what has been going on before you go, Pow Mow considerably less so than the others but if Pow Country and lightenting aren't going that place can be boring as fuck.

Sundance sits a little differently than the rest of the hills, once about every 8 or so years the weather rolls off the salt lake and sort of deflects away from BCC/LCC and slams straight into Timp. Three years ago during a visit they had more snow than anyone and nobody rides their.

Snowbasin is an excellent mtn with shit tons of excellent pow riding but you got to know where to go and you got to wait until they have a base. They sit funny and that place is rocky as fuck add in the wind and it takes longer for SB to fill in. At SB ride the can and get the lay of the land, then use your powder vision to hit the places that other people aren't going to go or that they can't see from the lift.

• Like 3

From reading this thread it sounds like I should make sure when/if I go to Utah that I'm with someone that knows the lay of the land or I'll be completely lost. Thanks for all the great insight/impressions.

BTW some of the heat on here is getting out of control. I don't understand everyone blasting each other over personal opinions. Beauty of the internet if you don't like something ignore it! Just my 2 cents.

From reading this thread it sounds like I should make sure when/if I go to Utah that I'm with someone that knows the lay of the land or I'll be completely lost. Thanks for all the great insight/impressions.

you'll be fine. my first trip I went by myself and met some friends out there after a couple of days and had a great time. Just make sure you include Brighton, Solitude, Snowbird, Snowbasin and Powder in your trip plans and you'll do fine.

• Like 1