Vail/Beaver Creek

Barb

Sunday i wanted to get to BC early but unfortunately my neighbor and her 2 kids who came with us are not early risers. Even after me yelling every 5 min to get moving we didnt walk out the door till 9am. its only a 10 min walk to the gondola that takes you to main shuttle station or catch the shuttle there to the village. I was outvoted on walking so we waited 20 min for a bus to take us 1/2 a mile ugh. Waited in line where ticket prices were a whopping 108 bucks. I got mine for 87 with my son's epic pass buddy discount but it didnt feel like much of a deal.

My youngest son was in a mood and said his neck hurt and he didnt feel like skiing. So me being the worst mother in the world, left him in the village and went riding. You have to take 2 lifts to get to the summit which took a while. Then i ended up on a mogul run which the pasr's who were at frost last yr can attest to i suck at. So when i finally got down i checked on Stephen and he said his neck reslly hurt. There was a big bulge in the back and be couldnt turn his head. I had some mtn emt guys check him out and they told me to take him to vail ER. So one of the emoloyees drove us back to the condo which was abive and beyond. He had bad neck strain from what I dont know, but he did ski the day before so maybe he did it then.

The next day my neighbor and her kids didn't feel like skiing so it was just me, David and one of his friends from Boulder we inherited the night before. They left me if course but I didnt mind. Conditions were scraped off and icy with rocks and branches showing in a lot of spots. I had a previous injury that was acting up so i didnt go back out after lunch.

I skipped Vail today because talking to some locals, they said Vail was not much better than Beaver Creek. I dropped off David and his friend (who both have epic passes) and they said it was horrible. Very icy and scraped off so glad I saved my money.

Heading home tomorrow and I'm glad because 5 days with 6 teenage boys farting up a 2 bedroom condo is enough for me.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like one of our trips, the elevation just brings it out sometimes.

Absolutely. In the medical literature, it is known as HAF, high altitude flatulence!

I was at Vail the first week of January. It was excellent New England conditions. Unfortunately, it was in the Rockies!

The Vail grooming staff and lifties did a great job making the front side skiable everyday. For my first trip of the year, it was a mellow time.

I'm heading back to Beaver Creek next week and then Keystone at the end of February.

• Like 1