Elk Mtn Law Suit??

guitar73

so I saw on epic that elk mtn was sued recently by the neighboring condo association for closing off a free access point btwn the mtn & the condo property. apparently the condo is seeking to cut-off elk's access to the 10 acre snow-making pond (which the condo owns??).

has anyone heard about this & how will this affect elk's ski season?

it's basically two old rich guys swinging their expensive dicks at each other. Elk wants to build condos but needs right of way through village of four seasons property. VOFS wont grant it because they are trying to protect the property owners home values. Elk locks up the gate that is used by VOFS to access Elks slopes (so they dont have to ride the dumb cattle cars) and now VOFS is suing Elk because they are drawing snow making water from VOFS spring fed lake. For crying out loud.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it's basically two old rich guys swinging their expensive dicks at each other. Elk wants to build condos but needs right of way through village of four seasons property. VOFS wont grant it because they are trying to protect the property owners home values. Elk locks up the gate that is used by VOFS to access Elks slopes (so they dont have to ride the dumb cattle cars) and now VOFS is suing Elk because they are drawing snow making water from VOFS spring fed lake. For crying out loud.

An update from the Scranton Times: http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/resort-community-says-it-won-t-block-elk-s-snowmaking-1.1257584

Winter, can you elaborate on your statement 'two rich guys...'. I thought that village was run by a condo owner association, at least that's what I heard many years ago.

Geezer, I can't be certain but I believe the village is run by an association but one guy still owns the land it all sits on. There are so many issues up there, most revolving around Joe Moore who owns Elk. He apparently revoked all the season passes and discount passes to the two local ski shops, Idlewild and Guenthers, over a stupid dispute over having their names embroidered on the kids race team jackets. He's pissing a lot of good customers off, thinking that they'll still spend big money to be there. But in the end, its just plain bad business to upset your customers.

• 6 months later...

...and the saga continues! Just got word that the hearing took place that was in regards to Elk suing the village of four seasons and just learned that Elk Mt. LOST all its suits against the village. As of now, the other half of the suit will continue where apparently the village's suit against elk will move forward. That may include their rights to use their private parking lot once again as well as water rights for making snow. Also considered is the fact that Elk recently dug up then burried sewer lines across the villages property without permission. Unfortunately i can't repost the announcement due to it being locked down on the VOFS website, but i suspect it will be in the locals papers there soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

ELK, HOMEOWNERS SPAR OVER LAND USE

10/22/2012

SAM Magazine—Union Dale, Pa., Oct. 22, 2012—Elk Mountain and its neighboring resort community, the Village of Four Seasons, have been squabbling over property issues. The latest tiff: the Village has lodged a lawsuit against the ski resort, charging that the resort wrongly claimed and transferred a section of the village's property to Elk.

The Village alleges that Elk claimed ownership of a parcel and then built a gravity sewer line through it, rather than opt for a more costly route. The Village wants ownership of the land resolved in its favor and the sewer line removed.

Elk and the Village have been at odds before. A year ago, the Village sued Elk over water rights to the pond in the village, which is connected to a snowmaking pond on the resort property. The village also sued Elk to keep a gate between the two properties open, so that Village residents could walk to the slopes rather than take a shuttle or walk a longer route. The gate itself has been the subject of sporadic attempts at resolution since 1988; the latest negotiations failed in 2010.

Elk officials did not return our call regarding the latest lawsuit.

• 4 weeks later...

The more I hear from both sides on this, the more I realize that the owner of Elk is off his rocker and getting more senile by the year. He is in his mid 80s after all. This all stems from his 40 year hatred of the original owner of the village. Nothing like pissing off a hundred elk skiing families.

True true. Sno has a small trail far to skiers right that has a bit of trees,nothing to write home about but at least they are open to the idea. Back when i was a younger punk we'd ski Elk with a day pass and wait til the last hour or so and hit the woods. Lots of fun avoiding patrol too. We'd rip to the bottom, toss our jackets off to the side somwhere to fool the gestapo, go back up and take another run. Sometimes we'd even layer up x3 and take a third. And hell, if you did get caught, your ticket was about to expire anyway. Good ole days.

Elk really needs to open up some tree skiing to keep their loyal skier demographic.

Whoever eventually buys Sno will install a HSQ and have tree skiing. They'll also eventually cut a blue top-to-bottom trail. Elk will need to do something to compete.

Sorry, but I believe you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but I believe you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

So you don't think that the average Elk skier would like to ski the woods?

They have an above average number of tele skiers who like to ski off piste as well.

Not saying they have to do it but it would add another attraction for a demographic of skiers who don't care about high speed lifts.

So you don't think that the average Elk skier would like to ski the woods?

They have an above average number of tele skiers who like to ski off piste as well.

Not saying they have to do it but it would add another attraction for a demographic of skiers who don't care about high speed lifts.

Being that he is a Sno supporter, I am guessing that he is referring to the addition of the HSQ and t2b trail at Sno, and not the woods skiing at Elk... That being said, I could be wrong...

Being that he is a Sno supporter, I am guessing that he is referring to the addition of the HSQ and t2b trail at Sno, and not the woods skiing at Elk... That being said, I could be wrong...

I was talking about Elk. When is the last time you saw a tele skier at Sno?

While I think Elk is a much better ski area than Sno, I would hate to see Sno go under and not reopen. They are both different and there is a place for both. Even Elk's owner was a supporter of Sno staying open.

Ski areas are like pizza; There's no such thing as a bad one. Some are just better than others. ;)