Threaded inserts

moe ghoul

I'm thinking of mounting new skis with Dukes/Barons and Plums, I have the inserts, but would prefer someone with experience to drill them in. Any recommendations for shops that would install them locally? I can prolly do it myself, but I'd rather avoid the learning curve and buying epoxies/tools for something that I won't be doing that frequently and be stuck with unused products. I'm going to ask the guy I know at REI and see if he'll do it, although I can already hear the liability issue.

Edited by moe ghoul

You want a shop in PA that can use Quiver Killers ?

Hmmm nobody is going to know about them outright but I would bet Rich Rieber Pro Sports can do it. He is the only guy in PA I trust to mount and I've given him some really weird shit over the years. 10 year old Diamir II's with no documentation or hardware and he did a perfect job. Alot of weird non-jig mounts too that were again perfect.

As an aside his repair work is top notch, ripped a 12" section of base right up against the edge and his base weld has held for 2 1/2 seasons.

Dude runs a small shop on 61 and is good people. If you need a rush he can do it while you wait.

Carl (Head guy in the shop) at the Conshy REI just called me this AM, he's ordering tools and hardware will install them for an extra $20 over normal binder mounts. Pretty stoked about that and passing it along if anyone decides to go that route.

good to hear. carl's a good guy; he's done a ton of work on my bike and definitely knows what's up.

cool, whats a binding mount/re-mount going for these days? gotta have juniors nx12's swapped over - i hope his brakes are wide enough

generally the going rate is around $75 if none of the equipment was purchased at the shop where you're having the work done. this is obviously a case by case basis, and there are certainly places you can get hookups...

they're really not that hard to do yourself if the binders are already mounted. I helped a few friends install them on a couple pairs of skis. when I get a new pair of skis I'm definitely putting these in. you need a 1/4" drill bit and a tap, would help to use a stop collar too. just drill out and tap the existing mounting holes, screw the inserts in with 24hr cure epoxy, mount your bindings, then let it dry overnight. take the bindings off and remount with vibra-tite (don't use loctite it's bad for your bindings). I'm pretty sure QK has instructions on their website that go more in depth. if you can get someone to do it, by all means but it's not that complicated of a process and it's pretty hard to fuck up if you can use a drill. drilling into the ski is probably the hardest part.