Newbs in terrain parks

tom nepa

I personally think camelback has the right approach...A park specific area serviced by its own lift. No park pass, no lift access. And it does keep the newbs out, because they don't want to go through the hassle or pay for a park pass. It is not charge at CB if you have a season pass though. As long as there is a separate beginner area, with some ride on stuff and a small table top, its really a good way to go.

BUT YEAH, DEAD HORSE.

I know last year it was $10 to get a pass and that kept us away from trying the place out While $10 isnt alot of the courswe of a season, when you are thinking about checking a place out and one is 10 more per person we decided not to go.

Sno made a big step in the right direction this year by moving the park Boulder is all Park so there is not much for the newbies to do other than get in the way Jack Frost has there park just out ot he lodge and that is where I know of a little kid who couldn't even get down cut right in front of a jump and got landed on thankfully he was not hurt bad

aside from this indeed being a dead horse i think its the mountain to blame. the actual mountain.

camelback, blue, shawnee, sno, etc etc they arent 'mountains' they are basically "nature spots" for city folk to go to. its a playground.

ever been to a playground? kids at the end of the slide always get nailed by the kid thats going after them.

This though came to me yesterday while heading back to the lodge on a beginer trail and the kid was going fast I told him to slow down because it wasnt the place to go fast. I am sure the ski patrol would do the same and they should they also should be there to tell people where not to go slow and stop and fall in front of jumps they are not jumping. Both are equally wrong

I personally think camelback has the right approach...A park specific area serviced by its own lift. No park pass, no lift access. And it does keep the newbs out, because they don't want to go through the hassle or pay for a park pass. It is not charge at CB if you have a season pass though. As long as there is a separate beginner area, with some ride on stuff and a small table top, its really a good way to go.

BUT YEAH, DEAD HORSE.

park passes are a good idea in theory but they screw over non-passholders. the people that actually ski park and don't have a pass there more or less wont be so inclined to check their park out if they have to wait in another line and pay more money on top of a lift ticket just to ski the park once (which is what they came there to do).

all in all there's going to be idiots in the park. they will get in the way. learn how to ski around them. if you want an empty park, go during the week. don't bitch and complain about noobs when you're in the park at noon on a saturday. if the mountain is crowded, what makes you think the park wont be?

dead horse rant