the pics from today thread

Justin

8 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

My hats off to you Antman. Doing 3 plus hours each way on a regular basis is the definition of getting after it.

Right!  Hard to do that run multiple times a season.

@antman12 do you take turns driving (one drives up, other drives home or one drives this time, other drives next)?

8 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

My hats off to you Antman. Doing 3 plus hours each way on a regular basis is the definition of getting after it.

Thanks!:rock

36 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Right!  Hard to do that run multiple times a season.

@antman12 do you take turns driving (one drives up, other drives home or one drives this time, other drives next)?

My cousin has driven 2 times, so that's helped a touch.

To be honest the driving isn't that bad. I like waking up early and the drive there is kinda therapeutic: super early in the morning, no cars on the road and an easy drive with next to no turns (and anticipation!). Sit back, relax and do a lot of thinking. The ride home can be tiresome but I try to ride the "high" of a great day of riding for most of the car ride. haha.

However, I have been thinking A LOT recently about picking up a beater car before next winter. My car is by no means very nice but I feel sh *t putting soo many miles on it. Plus it would open more possibilities in regards to snowdays....my car is not made for the snow. lmao.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, antman12 said:

Thanks!:rock

My cousin has driven 2 times, so that's helped a touch.

To be honest the driving isn't that bad. I like waking up early and the drive there is kinda therapeutic: super early in the morning, no cars on the road and an easy drive with next to no turns (and anticipation!). Sit back, relax and do a lot of thinking. The ride home can be tiresome but I try to ride the "high" of a great day of riding for most of the car ride. haha.

However, I have been thinking A LOT recently about picking up a beater car before next winter. My car is by no means very nice but I feel sh *t putting soo many miles on it. Plus it would open more possibilities in regards to snowdays....my car is not made for the snow. lmao.

But if you’re driving a beater car it’s not as reliable.  Putting extra miles on your car for riding is no big deal.  Most drive a solid amount of miles commuting to and from work and you don’t have a commute so you make up for it there. You also must get close to 40 miles per gallon highway in your car.  I averaged 36-37 miles per gallon to and from Washington DC but I drive like a grandma. 

9 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

But if you’re driving a beater car it’s not as reliable.  Putting extra miles on your car for riding is no big deal.  Most drive a solid amount of miles commuting to and from work and you don’t have a commute so you make up for it there. You also must get close to 40 miles per gallon highway in your car.  I averaged 36-37 miles per gallon to and from Washington DC but I drive like a grandma. 

Beater cars can be very reliable. I also want a car that's better in the snow. Will also make the "should I risk driving in the snow" decision much easier with a car that's A- better in the snow and B- not worried about messing up my only car.

This right here has me jonesing for a ride northbound.
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Tentative:  Jan 2 2019 @ Belleayre $32 lift tickets

This post made me look into Belleayre for the first time. Looks like a fun/unique mountain. Parking in the middle, loong terrain park cutting thru 10 trails and a gondola @ 3 hours away from me? And only a $60? Ill definitely be going this season.

9 minutes ago, antman12 said:

This post made me look into Belleayre for the first time. Looks like a fun/unique mountain. Parking in the middle, loong terrain park cutting thru 10 trails and a gondola @ 3 hours away from me? And only a $60? Ill definitely be going this season.

Park at the bottom, by the gondubie.  Short walk to the lift. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1968. Lots has changed in Bethlum since then. You can see the steeple of Central Moravian Church in the far left, the old passenger and freight station that is now The Wooden Match, and City Hall in the back. The old bridge crossing the river was replaced with the Fahy Bridge over the following years, and the trestle crossing the canal fed the Fritch Fuels which is still there. 

F667EE65-B7AA-4AE0-BBA7-6F85E14C4AD3.jpeg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, toast21602 said:

1968. Lots has changed in Bethlum since then. You can see the steeple of Central Moravian Church in the far left, the old passenger and freight station that is now The Wooden Match, and City Hall in the back. The old bridge crossing the river was replaced with the Fahy Bridge over the following years, and the trestle crossing the canal fed the Fritch Fuels which is still there. 

F667EE65-B7AA-4AE0-BBA7-6F85E14C4AD3.jpeg

And it was actually cold, since the canal is frozen over...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Local history continues...

Also go to check out the old rail line that used to run through there and into Palmerton during my run this morning. If I remember correctly, it was the Chestnut Ridge Railway which was originally built for a potential brick factory from the white clay in the area. That never happened, but the line was still used for local industrial transportation but more importantly to transfer workers from Kunkletown to Palmerton to work at NJ Zinc. The more you know...

59C4E1BB-9514-42E4-9DCE-E3AE16254C81.jpeg

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1