the pics from today thread

Justin

16 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Yeah it is. I used to do it because I’m too OCD and doing a K turn for every directional cut sucked. At least it looked good

They key is a teardrop turn. Keeps things clean

48 minutes ago, Schif said:

They key is a teardrop turn. Keeps things clean

17 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Yeah it is. I used to do it because I’m too OCD and doing a K turn for every directional cut sucked. At least it looked good. 

I'm a big proponent of the "Y" turn since I have a big old Exmark Metro 48 but it's a non zero turn walk behind.  My back and biceps get huge during the summer pulling it to make the curve at the top of the "Y".  

image.gif

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Schif said:

I can't say I know what a "Y" turn is, care to enlighten me? 

You mow straight ahead in a line, which represents the stem of the "Y".  Then at the top, you angle to either the left of right at about 45 degrees. Then you back up in a half circle, ending at the top of the next row.  If you don't do this with a big, heavy non zero turn mower you end up making a divot where the mower pivots on the lawn.  Of course none of this is necessary to even consider if you aren't trying to make stripes. 

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-y-turn-mowing-56287.html

7 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

You guys are all fancy with your lawnmowing. My lawn consists of grass, clover, dandelions, and kids toys. Its green for the most part which is all that matters for me.

Im with you. Personally i think both toast and nmski must have some type of disorder to be this obsessed with lawn cutting.  Or its just that i have so little patience for lawn care. I do have more landscaping at this house in the way of flower beds and whatnot that need weeding more often then not. Unfortunately i found out the hard way i have poison ivy out front. Fuck that weeding bullshit at this point to. Im gonna pave over everything and put up the prettiest fake bushes/shrubs/flower thingys i can find. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Schif said:

Bold move with the grateful dead logo. 

Yeah the babies dad was a big dead head. Doesn’t look that prominent but was a $13,000 job. The funeral director who sold it is gonna get a fat commission check next week. Red granite came from India, the blue granite and sculpture work from China. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yeah the babies dad was a big dead head. Doesn’t look that prominent but was a $13,000 job. The funeral director who sold it is gonna get a fat commission check next week. Red granite came from India, the blue granite and sculpture work from China. 

Just curious; Do you do any actual cutting at you place other than engraving names and dates? Is all of the carving work done in China?

29 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Im with you. Personally i think both toast and nmski must have some type of disorder to be this obsessed with lawn cutting.  Or its just that i have so little patience for lawn care. I do have more landscaping at this house in the way of flower beds and whatnot that need weeding more often then not. Unfortunately i found out the hard way i have poison ivy out front. Fuck that weeding bullshit at this point to. Im gonna pave over everything and put up the prettiest fake bushes/shrubs/flower thingys i can find. 

Use stone instead of mulch

this past weekend when i was walking in the lower east side i smelled aerosol paint.  sure enough, down the block NYC legend Host was painting a permission piece on a truck.  i didnt say anything cause i figured he wouldnt want his identity blown up like that, but here is the finished truck

1 hour ago, Shadows said:

A non zero turn walk behind. Who's idea was that?

I could get the little thing with wheels you stand on, but I kind of like the exercise.  

I got it from a buddy who was getting divorced and selling all his shit for $600.  

37 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Use stone instead of mulch

i have stone in one bed, and it seems like thats where i do the most weeding.  i am a total noob when it comes to  landscaping a whatnot. I wouldnt do well on the gameshow "flower or weed."  i really have mostly just had grass at previous homes.  But i'm gonna have a hard time ripping all the landscaping out around here.....the PO was loved by all the neighbors and all of them have told me how much he cared for the outside, and all his wonderful flowers/shrubs/plants, and how great the place looks when everything is in bloom.  I doubt anybody is going to come up to me and say "i think that asphalt looks way better in those planters than any of those shrub/bushes/flowers that were there."

I really did think about cutting my own lawn, but that would require me to go out and purchase lawn equipment, and there is no fucking way a push mower would be on the shopping list, i would want to sit and get it done fast, so i would buy some fancy thing like you have.  And then i would have to get a new shed since the existing one is in less than stellar shape, and is super damp inside, and there is no way im putting a mower in the garage.  The cars would be pissed. With what the lawn elves charge me, it would be years before i was in the black on the mower anyways, and i am more than happy sitting on my porch watching the grass grow instead of mowing it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had to buy a new push mower a few weeks ago since the gas one blew up l, ended up getting a kobalt 40v electric push mower from Lowe’s (only push mow this back section) and have been pleasantly surprised with how well it cuts. The batter doesn’t seem like it would last too long as I only got 3 cuts out of the first charge. 

BD1F410E-A05C-49A1-B322-6517B1387D3F.jpeg

On 6/30/2019 at 10:37 PM, theprogram4 said:

Camden yards. 14th mlb ballpark for me.  Next on my list are an indoor game, and then wrigley

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You could tie a cubs game in with a White Sox game.  I went to Camden yards a few times in high school with student government.  In 9th grade it was my first visit to Hooters and back then a cheesesteak there at inner harbor was $8.50 a fool and their money lol...I’ve been to veterans stadium, where the braves play, Camden yards and three rivers stadium. I remember when I was in Atlanta with the JCC travel camp in 1993 and John Smoltz stopped by the JCC and I thought it was pretty neat.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

35 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You could tie a cubs game in with a White Sox game.  I went to Camden yards a few times in high school with student government.  In 9th grade it was my first visit to Hooters and back then a cheesesteak there at inner harbor was $8.50 a fool and their money lol...I’ve been to veterans stadium, where the braves play, Camden yards and three rivers stadium. I remember when I was in Atlanta with the JCC travel camp in 1993 and John Smoltz stopped by the JCC and I thought it was pretty neat.  

you are correct about the white sox, i would make it so i could go to both in the weekend, but im assuming they rarely play home at the same time (I could be totally wrong on this, but 3 years ago it was a pain in the ass finding a time when both the San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's were home on the same weekend).  this was actually only my second time in baltimore (third if you count going to their airport), the other time was a 7th grade field trip to the science center in the inner harbor