the pics from today thread

Justin

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

The WW2 planes come to Hazleton every year in August. I went to see them probably a decade or more ago, but never actually flew in one. Today I debated spending the money to fly and decided to YOLO it.

They do a WW2 weekend in reading every year in June.  Pretty cool to see. I like to take the kayak out on the schuylkill and watch the planes fly just over the tops of the trees 

5 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

They do a WW2 weekend in reading every year in June.  Pretty cool to see. I like to take the kayak out on the schuylkill and watch the planes fly just over the tops of the trees 

I went there in 2010 and got my picture with Lieutenant John F. Kennedy.

IMG_4077.thumb.JPG.aba0f03a000eaf57a9cd457ac451b837.JPG

• Like 5

22 hours ago, saltyant said:

Today I did a thing and flew in a real B-17. Bottom picture is the D&L trail south of White Haven, looking south. The plane flew over Albrightsville so I waved to JFDan. Also saw Blue Mountain the True Mountain in the distance. Pretty sick bird, 10/10.

20190820_161736.thumb.jpg.5ba4680875e856712cbddff01b33a2d7.jpg

Bravo dude....That is such an iconic aircraft...How loud was it inside?I would imagine it's loud AF with no insulation and radial engines....Money well spent

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

Bravo dude....That is such an iconic aircraft...How loud was it inside?I would imagine it's loud AF with no insulation and radial engines....Money well spent

Thanks, It was pretty loud... hard to hear what other people were saying.  The coolest part was sticking my head out the roof at 135 mph and 2,500 feet altitude. I've never done that before on a plane and don't think I'll ever get the opportunity again. Very sick.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks, It was pretty loud... hard to hear what other people were saying.  The coolest part was sticking my head out the roof at 135 mph and 2,500 feet altitude. I've never done that before on a plane and don't think I'll ever get the opportunity again. Very sick.

Did you get to sit in the bombardier area?

22 hours ago, PSUFly said:

I went to the Reading WWII air show for many years with my grandfather where he spoke on his role on the flight crew for both atomic missions. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My uncle, lieutenant Wallace W Furman, was a fighter/bomber pilot in WW11.  He island hopped in the Pacific theater until finally in position to fly daily strafing/bombing runs on mainland Japan. One morning briefing, before their daily mission, he and the other pilots that day were ordered to be off the mainland and returning to base at a certain time... No excuses.  

As he left the mainland to return he felt this enormous shock wave, he turned in his seat and saw the mushroom cloud rising above Hiroshima. Of course he had no idea what it was. Upon his return to base he was told he witnessed history and hopefully an end to the war.

• Like 7

Grand Canyon Pa is beautiful! We are headed out that way in September. Very excited. 

Nice. Have to get back, at the very least, to see the Colton point side. Spent today at Leonard Harrison. Heard from some folks who were there that Colton point has better views. Not sure how true that is but that's what a few people were saying. Cherry springs is next up.