the pics from today thread

Justin

2 minutes ago, Barb said:

Gold Hill @Mayflower Gulch?

On second thought no way that’s where it is because it would be packed with people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close 😀

One drainage to the north of Mayflower (Humbug Creek) drainage.  

• Like 1

Cut and trimmed the lawn today.....Since hiring a lawn service I haven't pushed a lawn mower in about three years.......But she  started right up....more amazing was the weed wacker started after a couple of pulls....That thing hasn't been running in a long time....

20200401_140044.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

Cut and trimmed the lawn today.....Since hiring a lawn service I haven't pushed a lawn mower in about three years.......But she  started right up....more amazing was the weed wacker started after a couple of pulls....That thing hasn't been running in a long time....

20200401_140044.jpg

Did you just cut the lawn service all together? Or are they not working during this time. I know landscapers are still allowed to work to some extent according to PA. 

17 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

20200401_140044.jpg

Your lawn is small enough to cut with a reel mower and you have to hire someone to do it? How much time does it save you?

Edited by trackbiker

It takes me an hour and a half to two hours to cut my lawn(that's just cutting it..no trimming)...If you know anything about reel mowers you know that you can" let the grass get too tall or it just sucks to push it...So when the grass is really growing you have to cut the lawn a couple of times a week....and when I come home from work and it's stinkin hot out the last thing I want to do is cut the lawn...The lawn service saves me a lot of time.....

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

It takes me an hour and a half to two hours to cut my lawn(that's just cutting it..no trimming)...If you know anything about reel mowers you know that you can" let the grass get too tall or it just sucks to push it...So when the grass is really growing you have to cut the lawn a couple of times a week....and when I come home from work and it's stinkin hot out the last thing I want to do is cut the lawn...The lawn service saves me a lot of time.....

Wow. That's a big lawn to cut with a reel mower. I looked into a modern reel mower a few years ago for cutting my 1/3 acre trying to be environmentally conscious. But they cut the grass to short. I cut mine high to help discourage weeds. People think cutting it short will let them get by with fewer cuts but it doesn't work that way and is bad for the lawn.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Wow. That's a big lawn to cut with a reel mower. I looked into a modern reel mower a few years ago for cutting my 1/3 acre trying to be environmentally conscious. But they cut the grass to short. I cut mine high to help discourage weeds. People think cutting it short will let them get by with fewer cuts but it doesn't work that way and is bad for the lawn.

When I lived in Bethlehem and had a yard the size of my current driveway I used my grandfather's old reel mower and it had adjustable height settings (high, low). I'm surprised newer ones do not have that? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

We had about 1/10 acre at the old house that I used to cut w/ reel mower and keeping it cut is the ticket.
If/When it got too long, forget using the reel mower.
The quality of the cut is excellent.  The effort to use it, that's another story.  Good exercise though!

58 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

I think the one I have will cut it up to two inches or so.....Another down side is you don't want to cut it when the grass is wet....If you can keep up with regular cuttings you get a great looking lawn...

• Like 1