the pics from today thread

Justin

Top of Flagstaff Mountain in JT. They call it "Free 100 mile view". I'm not sure why they don't just call it 100 mile view or something else. The Free makes it sound like views typically come at a cost...which they shouldn't. Anyway if you've never been up there check it out before it's gone (they're going to build homes up there). Probably one of the best views in the area. Can see down into Bethlehem (sands / steel stacks).

2020-06-03_14-54-25.jpg

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I've been there too, in fall though. It's pretty neat and if anyones driving through I'd recommend it. 

In exchange for the 'free' view, you get to drive through the development and can see promo material at the top for buying lots. Still worth it. 

I've been there too, in fall though. It's pretty neat and if anyones driving through I'd recommend it. 

In exchange for the 'free' view, you get to drive through the development and can see promo material at the top for buying lots. Still worth it. 

Yeah that's pretty tacky. They've been talking about building up there forever.

18 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Top of Flagstaff Mountain in JT. They call it "Free 100 mile view". I'm not sure why they don't just call it 100 mile view or something else. The Free makes it sound like views typically come at a cost...which they shouldn't. Anyway if you've never been up there check it out before it's gone (they're going to build homes up there). Probably one of the best views in the area. Can see down into Bethlehem (sands / steel stacks).

2020-06-03_14-54-25.jpg

That's another good rowdy gravel / easy mtb ride with some switchback trail  thrown in. Is the Inn and the observation platform still there?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

2020-06-03_14-54-25.jpg

I've gone there with my binoculars but couldn't see Bethlum, just the cut in the mountain where it is, if I recall correctly.

Edited by saltyant

yep with a monster climb on High (?) St. behind the opera house. One my favorite rides of the summer is to keep going on the switchback up to summit hill to catch a Free Range Folk and/or Serene Green set  at the Summit Hill Hootenanny, guess it ain't happening  this year :(

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

Have you biked up the switchback trail from Jim Thorpe?  Looks like a nice steady climb @saltyant.

I've hiked Switchback several times. It would be fun on a mountain bike but would probably be difficult on anything else.

Flagstaff Mountain road is a really nice climb. A fun 40 mile loop is from Tamaqua via Owl Creek Road up Flagstaff, then back west thru Mahoning Valley.

Edited by saltyant

5 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I've hiked Switchback several times. It would be fun on a mountain bike but would probably be difficult on anything else.

Flagstaff Mountain road is a really nice climb. A fun 40 mile loop is from Tamaqua via Owl Creek Road up Flagstaff, then back west thru Mahoning Valley.

Aren't there two different routes?  I read that one is mountain bike friendly, the other is gravel?

10 minutes ago, mbike-ski said:

yep with a monster climb on High (?) St. behind the opera house. One my favorite rides of the summer is to keep going on the switchback up to summit hill to catch a Free Range Folk and/or Serene Green set  at the Summit Hill Hootenanny, guess it ain't happening  this year :(

I went to a Hootenanny once with this chick named Yvette in Jackson hole.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

Aren't there two different routes?  I read that one is mountain bike friendly, the other is gravel?

Idk. I start at Mauch Chunk lake. The trail might be ok with your bike since you have really thicc tires. If you ride east, there's a really narrow ledge over which you have to carry your bike.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Idk. I start at Mauch Chunk lake. The trail might be ok with your bike since you have really thicc tires. If you ride east, there's a really narrow ledge over which you have to carry your bike.

I think there is an "up" and "down" route from the originally gravity powered train?  The original up is an improved trail according to what I read?

48 minutes ago, saltyant said:

No clue, ask @mbike-ski

2 hours ago, AtomicSkier said:

I think there is an "up" and "down" route from the originally gravity powered train?  The original up is an improved trail according to what I read?

improved is a matter of opinion, its a little rowdy with a  sketchy rock ledge portage in one direction as @saltyant mentioned. I haven't gone that way in a few years. it gets washed outr and always debris sticks etc.

• Thanks 1

I'm jelly. Did you max out Salty's car at 65?

I was so high on speed that I forgot to check the speedometer. Lol. I did make sure to take turn 1 high up against the wall. Best part is my wife recorded it and was screaming "go go go" the whole time.

Another pic for BenM and JFSkiDan below.84b119f8c636bb5ff2c6e30e52552b23.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1