the pics from today thread

Justin

52 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Is that normal? Lokks like you're on top of a school of fish. Thats cheating 

Just that many fish (although boat fish aren't as much of an accomplishment as catching them in the surf) - huge schools of migrating striped bass were around the north end of Montauk.  Usually those conditions never happen for me .  They were actually somewhat picky - keyed in on smaller baitfish, so perfect for fly fishing.  

2 hours ago, NMSKI said:

Awesome dude!  It's been rough fishing for me and my crew the last 5 or so times, so glad to see someone is having success.  

Thanks - I was due for a good fishing trip...as far as saltwater goes, I'm catching some fish in Jersey, but pulling an all nighter or running on 2 or 3 hours sleep only to catch one or two fish sometimes still sucks.

Where have you been fishing?  I'm still catching fish on my lunch break at Mill Valley Park near you, but it's definitely slowed down with the colder nights.  (https://www.westwhiteland.org/Facilities/Facility/Details/Mill-Valley-Park-8)

I've only been doing well there with smaller (2 or 3" long) flies, so I would recommend smaller artificial lures if you fish there (trout magnets, small curly tail grubs, etc)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PSUFly said:

Thanks - I was due for a good fishing trip...as far as saltwater goes, I'm catching some fish in Jersey, but pulling an all nighter or running on 2 or 3 hours sleep only to catch one or two fish sometimes still sucks.

Where have you been fishing?  I'm still catching fish on my lunch break at Mill Valley Park near you, but it's definitely slowed down with the colder nights.  (https://www.westwhiteland.org/Facilities/Facility/Details/Mill-Valley-Park-8)

I've only been doing well there with smaller (2 or 3" long) flies, so I would recommend smaller artificial lures if you fish there (trout magnets, small curly tail grubs, etc)

We fished at Locust Lake with zero luck, and other than that mostly at the Charter Chase pond.  Haha, I run by that Mill Valley Park almost once a week.  That little island is weird!  The only luck I had last week at the pond was catching one sunny with a trout magnet.  Usually we would catch bass also with swim baits, but no luck lately.  

Just that many fish (although boat fish aren't as much of an accomplishment as catching them in the surf) - huge schools of migrating striped bass were around the north end of Montauk.  Usually those conditions never happen for me .  They were actually somewhat picky - keyed in on smaller baitfish, so perfect for fly fishing.  

Montauk is an awesome place to fish. It’s been a few years but I used to get out there several days every fall surf fishing, wet suiting and boat fishing. Blitzes like that are pretty reliable up there in September and October. I’ve stood on rocks surrounded by schools of blitzing bass when all you needed to do was hand line a bucktail to catch one lol. Where there any albies mixed in?

10 minutes ago, mikes781 said:

Montauk is an awesome place to fish. It’s been a few years but I used to get out there several days every fall surf fishing, wet suiting and boat fishing. Blitzes like that are pretty reliable up there in September and October. I’ve stood on rocks surrounded by schools of blitzing bass when all you needed to do was hand line a bucktail to catch one lol. Where there any albies mixed in?

Yeah it was my first time there, but it was awesome...I think the last few years haven't been that great, but this year has been really good so far from what I've heard/seen.  Albies were around up until that Friday (I got there Saturday morning).  It was really windy all weekend which I think shut the albie bite down.  I'm planning on trying to get up there and fish again this fall if the fish are still around.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

We fished at Locust Lake with zero luck, and other than that mostly at the Charter Chase pond.  Haha, I run by that Mill Valley Park almost once a week.  That little island is weird!  The only luck I had last week at the pond was catching one sunny with a trout magnet.  Usually we would catch bass also with swim baits, but no luck lately.  

Yeah I've been using "earthy colors" - olive, brown, etc.  and having the most luck on them.  Mostly sunnies, but I did get a nice bass there last week.  I don't know all that much about freshwater fishing once it starts to get colder, but might need to slow down your retrieve.  Using something like a jig n pig might get you some bass

1 hour ago, PSUFly said:

Yeah I've been using "earthy colors" - olive, brown, etc.  and having the most luck on them.  Mostly sunnies, but I did get a nice bass there last week.  I don't know all that much about freshwater fishing once it starts to get colder, but might need to slow down your retrieve.  Using something like a jig n pig might get you some bass

I'll have to try the earthy colors.  Somehow I got it in my head that the "shiner-type" silver swim baits were the way to go, and for some reason my son only wants to use the neon green and orange ones.  I have a bunch of brown ones I'll put into use and see if I get results.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Barb said:

We’re you the only one staying in there? How busy was the trail just curious. Why PSAR instead of PASR?

The trail wasn't crowed at all....Only time there was a lot of people was at Indian head....

I did have the shelter to myself....Thought it would be crowded cause it's really close to a parking lot...

Pa Ski And Ride....But i guess you could look at it the other way too...I dunno... I guess I never really thought about it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2020 at 1:55 PM, NMSKI said:

I'll have to try the earthy colors.  Somehow I got it in my head that the "shiner-type" silver swim baits were the way to go, and for some reason my son only wants to use the neon green and orange ones.  I have a bunch of brown ones I'll put into use and see if I get results.  

Here's a lunch break largemouth from Mill Valley today and the fly it ate...slow retrieval speed = strip the fly in a few feet, let it sink, repeat.  Maybe try that - reel in a few cranks and let it sink each time.  something like a marabou crappie jig would probably work for both sunnies and bass, at least at the Mill Valley pond.  https://www.fishusa.com/Johnson-Beetle-Bou-Marabou-Jigs?quantity=1&L-Weight=333&L-Color1=10583

20201015_124503.jpg

20201015_124443.jpg

Edited by PSUFly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

My last night in the Adirondacks I stayed in a shelter.. Left a PSAR tag in the shelter journal....

20201008_162242.jpg

20201009_080843.jpg

I’ve been watching North Woods Law (based out of Maine and New Hampshire) a lot recently and they covered these shelters on a few episode and I had no idea these were were out there. Super cool that there’s a place for people to get out of the elements for a night while hiking small trails or even the Appalachian trail. 

41 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

The trail wasn't crowed at all....Only time there was a lot of people was at Indian head....

I did have the shelter to myself....Thought it would be crowded cause it's really close to a parking lot...

Pa Ski And Ride....But i guess you could look at it the other way too...I dunno... I guess I never really thought about it...

Glad you had it to yourself. Feel like that would be weird to have to share. 

Had a good laugh reading this news article tonight, how does the editor not read this and go “you know what, that sounds a little raunchy” 😂

17D59341-73EA-437B-A096-244C1F8E3DC9.jpeg

reminds me of this classic clip 

Edited by Kyle