the pics from today thread

Justin

So my tree guy absolutely flaked out on me. Contracted him to do finish work back in August including splitting all my cut trees into firewood. He told me a week ago he couldn’t do it until spring. Everyone sold out of firewood around here so my husband and I decided to try and tackle it ourselves. 

pile available

93042EFD-F38C-4ED6-802B-75A1799408DF.thumb.jpeg.4b5f8b74f61d6b084b649da03393477b.jpeg

logs on left are from 2 summers ago and ready to be split. I wasn’t brave enough to try the chainsaw. But I did split some with the axe until I kind of missed and almost hit my foot.  

9DEFCC52-26C8-448A-A155-93624F24AB5C.thumb.jpeg.eeee726b6779a48c23cc1717c0d0af56.jpeg

My husband split about 1/2 of what we cut with the axe. I also bought a log splitter. 
BE796BCC-69DA-4802-8AB7-F3399004B6F8.thumb.jpeg.8c2f04f7d86ea9707cc21b25a6864b95.jpeg

I admit, log splitter was very satisfying  

We worked for 5 hours with a small break and I don’t even think we got a cord done.

EB343AB4-3ABC-4BF5-B3F4-9116981080DB.thumb.jpeg.c78e06e156b5820cb73e956aa610ea64.jpeg

BBCFFA5C-B33B-48B7-9D6E-5C8B04C8CBB8.thumb.jpeg.57051c3a99e4603ac515fc90c79c28c7.jpeg

There was a large rock in the wood pile that husband hit. So we can’t do any more till he sharpens the blade. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Barb said:

There was a large rock in the wood pile that husband hit. So we can’t do any more till he sharpens the blade. 

Get a rechargeable dremel with a chain sharpening bit. Makes it a lot easier to frequently sharpen. A lot of dirt on those logs, probably. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Barb said:

My husband split about 1/2 of what we cut with the axe. I also bought a log splitter.

Ash borer beetles are ravaging trees in our woods.
I love spending the Fall outside cutting up downed trees and splitting it for fire pit to get back used to the cold for ski season.

• Like 2

There are some possibilities I am going to check out for sure. Gonna leave my xc skis up here. Heard you can xc ski at the air strip in my neighborhood, and wooded areas adjoining. Even though it’s private property they allow it. 

Edited by Barb
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Barb said:

Love this!  How are the temperatures there?  Are you camping?

We are in Vegas for a wedding and we decided to head over and spend one night and day in Zion since that is more our thing.  Temps were chilly but nice in the sun.  Low was in the 20’s but it got up to around 50.  Can’t wait to come back and explore more another time.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

We are in Vegas for a wedding and we decided to head over and spend one night and day in Zion since that is more our thing.  Temps were chilly but nice in the sun.  Low was in the 20’s but it got up to around 50.  Can’t wait to come back and explore more another time.

Where are you staying in Vegas?

34 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

We are in Vegas for a wedding 

On 10/3/2022 at 1:38 PM, NMSKI said:

All of my negativity toward Vegas is a direct result of me being totally out of control and doing stupid shit a number of times.  

Going to need a trip report for this one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Where are you staying in Vegas?

We’re staying at the Grand downtown. First time for me not being on the strip.  Downtown is pretty gross but it’s nice being in the hotel with all the friends.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1