the pics from today thread

Justin

10 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Super cool pictures, the escarpment Blue sits on goes for 150 miles or so and becomes the Kittatiny Mtns in NJ and the Gunks in NY. It may seem pedestrian but it's actually pretty interesting geologically and we learned metric fuck tons in general from the whole coal dealio and where PA got folded. 

It's a highway for glider pilots 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=40.701520774466275%2C-75.53044918691228&z=8&mid=1LHFN5CNHKPlPYfwpVFSCiwyZbvU

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, indiggio said:

And also the old uranium mines along 209 heading down into Jim Thorpe (FKA Mauch Chunk)...
Used to dream about venturing down into them as a kid riding past on the way to grandmother's house up in Nesquehoning before they closed them permanently.

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1985-03-03-2455714-story.html

Near Butte MT, they put spas in old uranium mines for the health giving properties of radon😅. And here I am blowing it out of my basement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Super cool pictures, the escarpment Blue sits on goes for 150 miles or so and becomes the Kittatiny Mtns in NJ and the Gunks in NY. 

And out to Harrisburg. Was always interesting to take an early morning Detroit flight and follow it over coal county past Sunbury. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Super cool pictures, the escarpment Blue sits on goes for 150 miles or so and becomes the Kittatiny Mtns in NJ and the Gunks in NY. It may seem pedestrian but it's actually pretty interesting geologically and we learned metric fuck tons in general from the whole coal dealio and where PA got folded. 

After circling Blue da True I literally just followed the escarpment mountain range to Shawnee.

Screenshot_20230123-103828-302.thumb.png.3207a9dbb69e15b9a3b9103e72a3a892.png

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

After circling Blue da True I literally just followed the escarpment mountain range to Shawnee.

Screenshot_20230123-103828-302.thumb.png.3207a9dbb69e15b9a3b9103e72a3a892.png

When you're up there it looks like you're flying by following things on the ground that you can identify. Is that right? Also when it's time to go home to the airport do you follow landmarks or do you use instruments or a compass? 

14 minutes ago, Schif said:

When you're up there it looks like you're flying by following things on the ground that you can identify. Is that right? Also when it's time to go home to the airport do you follow landmarks or do you use instruments or a compass? 

I know the area's geography pretty well so I usually fly by pilotage, or looking at landmarks. However, it can be confusing from seeing things from a different perspective. I've been to Pottsville (on the ground) numerous times but when flying, I'm still not certain if I'm seeing Pottsville, Schuylkill Haven, Frackville, or some other coal mining town. 

There are multiple ways to navigate. First is carrying the New York sectional chart. The plane has a GPS and autopilot, and I can enter any airport and the plane will fly there on its own. Finally I have my phone and a flying app which basically provides the same functionality as a GPS. It overlays the plane on the sectional chart and I can also punch in any destination and it'll draw a magenta line. So unless there's a massive satellite outage, electronic navigation is virtually guaranteed. It's still good to be aware of location at all times just in case.

One of these weekend I'll take you up to Wilkes Barre if you're interested, or anywhere else you'd like to fly (within eastern PA or Jersey).

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, C1erArt said:

Near Butte MT, they put spas in old uranium mines for the health giving properties of radon😅. And here I am blowing it out of my basement. 

The interesting thing about the uranium and radon thing in PA is its a totally different rock than the rest of PA. Its named after my hood and is a crystalline structure most similar to New England called the Reading Prong. It's PreCambrian like 500 million years ago where the escarpment is Allegheny orogeny which is like 250 million years ago. What we call South Mtn is part of the Reading Prong which is totally different than Blue or the Poconos all within a relatively small space. 

PA got folded up like a NY door mat pizza as Africa and NA collided so in that sense we have alot of cool shit going on near the surface. All the coal areas get their bang from the Carboniferous period where for like 50 million years nothing could decompose trees so they just piled up.  PA at least geologically is a cool state. 

• Like 3
  • Boner City 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

The interesting thing about the uranium and radon thing in PA is its a totally different rock than the rest of PA. Its named after my hood and is a crystalline structure most similar to New England called the Reading Prong. It's PreCambrian like 500 million years ago where the escarpment is Allegheny orogeny which is like 250 million years ago. What we call South Mtn is part of the Reading Prong which is totally different than Blue or the Poconos all within a relatively small space. 

PA got folded up like a NY door mat pizza as Africa and NA collided so in that sense we have alot of cool shit going on near the surface. All the coal areas get their bang from the Carboniferous period where for like 50 million years nothing could decompose trees so they just piled up.  PA at least geologically is a cool state. 

Of course you know this. Of course.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Johnny Law said:

You would be the coolest college professor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

I would love Professor Law to give a talk in the lot one day. Preferably with a PowerPoint. No rules. Just get up there, show what you want and talk about whatever. 

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

Of course you know this. Of course.

Radon is kinda a big deal here and it's interesting because it's not at all 20 mins in the right direction. Same with coal or 1000 other things. Plus the big one is when you look at a topo map of PA for the first time and are like what the fuck happened ? It's also interesting but mostly useless so par for the course.  

1 hour ago, mute1080 said:

Until I go off on some tangent like this and everyone is there for accounting 101 

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

Am I the only one that reads people's posts the way they talk if I know them?

Isn't that everyone? Is this like the people that don't see pictures in their heads ? That has to be very strange. 

• Haha 1