Jump to content

the pics from today thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First day out, First time on a skin track, hell of a workout. Alta, from the base up to Catherine's two quick Laps off the back side then back to the base. Around 2600' of vert. Great day with quite a

My thirteen-year-old and I got out on the citadel yesterday.  This was a big deal for him and was his first true ski-mountaineering adventure.  

Did a little night tour through the hood...  

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

So this isnt really what i wanted to come home to today. 
BA5369C5-AC5E-4D69-9EB2-86610AD497FE.thumb.jpeg.ef3969bb9100531fa2bcf5162d345594.jpeg
and for those playing along at home, the answer is “B”, water dripping from the ceiling. 

Looks like the reason you have homeowners insurance. Like every friend I have who owns a home has needed a new roof.  They run like 8-20k. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Looks like the reason you have homeowners insurance. Like every friend I have who owns a home has needed a new roof.  They run like 8-20k. 

Low chance its the roof, but im still in CSI mode. 
and your friends need to find new roofing contractors. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

So this isnt really what i wanted to come home to today. 
BA5369C5-AC5E-4D69-9EB2-86610AD497FE.thumb.jpeg.ef3969bb9100531fa2bcf5162d345594.jpeg
and for those playing along at home, the answer is “B”, water dripping from the ceiling. 

Plaster ceiling?...

That's an interesting corner detail on the crown.....

Edited by Mixilplix
Link to post
Share on other sites
So this isnt really what i wanted to come home to today. 
BA5369C5-AC5E-4D69-9EB2-86610AD497FE.thumb.jpeg.ef3969bb9100531fa2bcf5162d345594.jpeg
and for those playing along at home, the answer is “B”, water dripping from the ceiling. 
I feel your pain. Same thing happened at TLCITW two weeks ago... Damn!...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

Plaster ceiling?...

That's an interesting corner detail on the crown.....

yup.  Plaster.  

9 hours ago, Shadows said:

Let me know if you need water vacs. Pro bono

All good, thanks.  It wasnt horrible, there was a little water on the floor, hopefully it doesnt fuck up the hardwood.  Once i popped 2 small holes in the ceiling it drained into a bucket.  

9 hours ago, rummy said:

I feel your pain. Same thing happened at TLCITW two weeks ago... Damn!...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 

Still not sure whats the cause.  i shut the water off to the bathroom, and its not leaking anymore.  the tub is right above that, so it kinda points to that, but i havent found the smoking gun yet.  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

yup.  Plaster.  

All good, thanks.  It wasnt horrible, there was a little water on the floor, hopefully it doesnt fuck up the hardwood.  Once i popped 2 small holes in the ceiling it drained into a bucket.  

Still not sure whats the cause.  i shut the water off to the bathroom, and its not leaking anymore.  the tub is right above that, so it kinda points to that, but i havent found the smoking gun yet.  

That sucks!

One morning around 2am I was awakened to a hissing noise and leapt outta bed to discover a braided water hose to one of the faucets in our master bath had broke.
I was able to shut the water off in a minute or two, but even in that short time enough water escaped to get through the floor and fuck up the ceiling below.

The joys of home ownership!

Edited by indiggio
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, indiggio said:

That sucks!

One morning around 2am I was awakened to a hissing noise and leapt outta bed to discover a braided water hose to one of the faucets in our master bath had broke.
I was able to shut the water off in a minute or two, but even in that short time enough water escaped to get through the floor and fuck up the ceiling below.

The joys of home ownership!

Yeah, indoor plumbing is such a great thing, but it can fuck some shit up when things go wrong.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Yeah, indoor plumbing is such a great thing, but it can fuck some shit up when things go wrong.  

Whenever we go on trips, the well breaker goes off!

I've contemplated various water monitoring systems that put sensors in key spots for just such cases.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, indiggio said:

Whenever we go on trips, the well breaker goes off!

I've contemplated various water monitoring systems that put sensors in key spots for just such cases.

Same.  i shut the water off for the weekends here when i go to the Poconos, and the well always gets shut off in the Poconos when i leave, and i let the water run for a bit, there is more water than you think in the expansion tank.  I am shocked by the amount of people i hear in the Poconos that had water damage from leaving the well pump on.  Silly humans.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

With all the snow we've had this year ice dams can be a problem too.

This has crossed my mind as well, i bought this house 2 years ago, so since i have lived here, it hasnt snowed up until now.  As of yesterday afternoon, i dont think there was any snow on the roof, but there was a little ice on the lip of the gutter.  The roof is relatively new, and the PO definitely did not hire low bid contractors to do anything around the house, but again, still doesnt rule out ice dams.  See what kind of surprise i come home to this afternoon.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

With all the snow we've had this year ice dams can be a problem too.

Here we go!

One year, back in the 90's I think, when we got tons of snow, came home to the wife screaming that there's water coming in the bathroom window.   I go back and see just a stream of water coming in the top of the window frame, WTF???
I go outside to see a 3' ice dam running the entire width of the roof.    Luckily it was a cape cod and I immediately got out the ladder and hand axe and broke a channel for the water to escape.   Never seen/heard/known about ice dams before that!

Wasn't gonna happen when I built the new house.  I had electrician run a separate line to outlets under the soffits on the North side of the house specifically for ice melters that I had installed the first year.   Now, whenever it starts to snow, I flip the breaker and leave the melters on until it stops.  Haven't had an ice dam since.

For the front of the house, I have a roof rake.  All you need to do is take about a foot or two of snow from the gutter back and the sun does the rest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, indiggio said:

Here we go!

One year, back in the 90's I think, when we got tons of snow, came home to the wife screaming that there's water coming in the bathroom window.   I go back and see just a stream of water coming in the top of the window frame, WTF???
I go outside to see a 3' ice dam running the entire width of the roof.    Luckily it was a cape cod and I immediately got out the ladder and hand axe and broke a channel for the water to escape.   Never seen/heard/known about ice dams before that!

Wasn't gonna happen when I built the new house.  I had electrician run a separate line to outlets under the soffits on the North side of the house specifically for ice melters that I had installed the first year.   Now, whenever it starts to snow, I flip the breaker and leave the melters on until it stops.  Haven't had an ice dam since.

For the front of the house, I have a roof rake.  All you need to do is take about a foot or two of snow from the gutter back and the sun does the rest.

You remember my incredible fear of ladders, correct?  There is no way im getting to the upper roof to get snow off of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JFskiDan said:

You remember my incredible fear of ladders, correct?  There is no way im getting to the upper roof to get snow off of it. 

Luckily our old house being a cape, I could use an A-frame ladder and reach the bottom/gutter area enough.

The back of the current house is a walk-out basement and the roof is 30' up, uh, NOPE!  Hence the melters.

The roof rake has extensions, so I can easily reach the top roof from the ground.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...