My VT Tour. Need advice/tips

vinnyv11

So my trip up to Killington is back on for this weekend which coupled with my trip next weekend of Saturday at Plattekill, Sunday-Monday at Bolton Valley and Tuesday at Mount Snow it looks like I'll be doing my first experience outside of PA with a bang. I know a bunch of you are regulars up North so I was hoping to get some advice/tips on anything I should make sure to do/hit while i'm up there (i.e. trails to make sure I hit, restaurants/bars/attractions, etc.). Thanks in advance for any input i'm super stoked and this will be my first step toward next year when I hope to go out west but thats another topic.

Also on a side note if there is any considerable snow over the next two weeks/weekends should I consider demoing a pair of ski's since my ski's are definitely not powder skis in any way I would imagine?

Go just a bit past killington and visit the long trail brewery and restaurant.

Get off 89 before bolton in waterbury and visit the alchemist brewpub and restaurant. Go a bit further north on 100 and visit the cold hollow cider mill, go in the morning for fresh cider doughnuts. Alchemist is just off 89 in town, cider mill might be 5 or 10 minutes up 100 if I remember correct.

If you've got the time drive past bolton into burlington and visit the magic hat brewery for some cheapish growlers.

I like beer what can I say.

• Like 4

Cold Hollow is the greatest place on earth, get a pin and rock it proud. Alchemist is boner city too.

I've eaten italian food in italy and I'm telling you in my life the best italian food I've ever had is at Trattoria Delia in Burlington, VT. LOL Swear to god

In the Killy area there is the Back Behind Saloon, which is down behind skyeship. It is not VT's only gay bar rather think delicious smoked meats and a sweet tap list.

Oh shit and the swedish pancake place and the smuggs muffin gas station....so many places.

• Like 1

Haven't been to Alchemist, but call ahead... I remember reading an article somewhere that their brew equipment was in their basement and was damaged in Irene... Article went on to say that they couldn't get more insurance and weren't going to relocate...

http://articles.boston.com/2011-11-18/lifestyle/30415621_1_brewery-craft-beer-lovers-pub

Definitely demo some skis. Maybe midfats if it doesn't dump just to get a feel for wider skis..

obviously try to demo from the ski shop at the mountain, so you can switch out and try a couple different pairs. most places will hook you up with as many as you want to try for around $50.

There really isn't all that much snow up there. I was at Killington and Stratton the last two weekends. While trail coverage is good the tree skiing is minimal (tracked out) or non existant. That said, crowds are also really light so just blasting around on nice long empty runs is a pretty good time.

Edited by burton71

Check out a place called Sugar & Spice. I believe it's on the access road - They make maple syrup in the basement. It's a tourist trap fo sho but maple syrup from there will turn your pancakes into pure gold.

Tourist trap shmourist trap, I don't care, that place serves a mean breakfast. Just outside rutland in like mendon or something, ya can't miss it cause it's a huge wood building with a large parking area on the left. Eat upstairs to stay warmer in the morning.

• Like 1

Tourist trap shmourist trap, I don't care, that place serves a mean breakfast. Just outside rutland in like mendon or something, ya can't miss it cause it's a huge wood building with a large parking area on the left. Eat upstairs to stay warmer in the morning.

We hit that on our way home 2 weeks ago...nothing better than a 3000 calorie breakfast before a 6 hour drive.

I would stay away from killington on the weekends...it's a zoo with what they have open, the conditions are horrible by 10am.

The Killington trip was arranged through some other people so that’s why we are going there. Bolton is farther up north so hopefully that’s good. Mount Snow on the way back is kind of based on hitting somewhere on the way home and I figured it would a better stop then hitting something in NY on the way back but it is open for discussion.

Some new snow today across Vermont...and a foot plus expected this weekend in northern Vermont. I'm thinking about an early April trip to Stowe after Blue closes. Maybe combine it with a business trip so company pays for expenses.

We are going to be hitting up Stowe at the end of March or first weekend, April 6-8th. We went up last year on 8-10th and on the 11th they shut down the gondola and the high speed up to Spruce Peak was closed the whole weekend too( coverage was fine). I'd like to hold out for the 6th but don't want to run into closed lifts/ bad weather and then not get the chance to get up there. Closing day is the 15th.

Will probably plan on last weekend of March and then postpone if the weather is anything but perfect. We got spoiled last year with 55+ degrees both days and not a cloud in the sky. Can't beat riding and then hitting up the swimming pool.

Storm looks to bigger than first expected. K-Mart is expecting 15-23in. My weekend plans might have just changed...might go pow hunting.

It is definitely going to take some upslope to hit those numbers... Storm itself won't drop more than a foot at best...

Stowe reported 36" in 36 hours from this past storm. I will tell you from first hand witness, the reports were wrong. I was routinely blowing through 40+inches of fresh yesterday. Face shots on every turn, and absolute necessity to stay on steeps, because chest deep pow just stopped me on flats. I was pushing my 48" ski pole into drifts, and having it disappear up to my elbow. It was seriously the most epic pow day I've ever had east of the Mississippi.

Edited by Freeski919

I was in Southern VT this weekend.

Stratton had around 4"-7" of fast new snow on Saturday. Wind was blowing it everywhere. No direct B2T lift. American Express to Ursa. That actually worked in my favor, because a lot of people were just skiing off the lower lift due to the insane winds. Conditions remained good until around 2:30-3ish when things were becoming really windblown. Very cold Saturday night.

Bluebird day with moderate winds on Sunday at Mount Snow. Karma paid me back, as on my very first ride in the bubble some dudes from CT wanted to discuss safety. Thanks to some wind holds, it was a long discussion. Interesting enough, one of the dudes was also on 184 '09 Mantras. Skied 1 run with them, but they wanted to go over to Carenthia and I wanted to burn groomers. I love Mount Snow. Not so much to ski runs that challenge me or make me a better skier. I love it because I can ski amazing wide, long stretches of trail, without having to do any safety speed checks because of people. It's really nice just to let 'em run long all day.

• Like 3

Stowe reported 36" in 36 hours from this past storm. I will tell you from first hand witness, the reports were wrong. I was routinely blowing through 40+inches of fresh yesterday. Face shots on every turn, and absolute necessity to stay on steeps, because chest deep pow just stopped me on flats. I was pushing my 48" ski pole into drifts, and having it disappear up to my elbow. It was seriously the most epic pow day I've ever had east of the Mississippi.

this makes me mad, lol! def picked the wrong weekend to go up to stowe. oh well....tis the nature of outdoor sports, right??

root, glad you had a good time at stratton and mt snow. stratton's def a lot of fun and their lift system and layout is pretty sweet. i've never been to mt snow.