Thoughts on Jackson...

snorovr

So I was in Jackson last during the winter '98-'99 season. Unfortunately I didn't ski during this pass-through, just stayed a night in Jackson, WY with the fam and then did a day of snowmobiling in Yellowstone, which was pretty sick and I'd recommend. I might do it again, we'll see...

Jackson Hole is unlike any place I've ever skied. Whistler has over a mile of vert, but its not Jackson vert. This place is steep from top to bottom. I'm not a convert from Utah, but Jackson is still somewhere I'd like to return to as much as possible. Today was the first day I haven't skied open to close, went to Mangy Moose for apres at 2:30 and worked on the goggle tan after a hike up the headwall and a few tram laps.

The weird thing about this place over Utah is that I really want to come back here, but it would be about a thousand times better with a backpack full of the appropriate gear and a thorough backcountry knowledge, neither of which I have. Maybe its because I've been to Utah so much, but I feel like its easier to find the good stuff quickly in order to put more laps on it. Going through the gates is tempting as sh*t, but after basically standing on top of a huge fracture as it happened the other day it is pretty easy to just stay inbounds. Its weird that this mountain feels small compared to many of the places I've been in Utah. I can ski most of Brighton in a few hours, but I love the place. Jackson feels the same way. The other problem with the vert is that much like Whistler, your snow at the top is amazing and the bottom is knee-twisting mashed potatoes... I kinda like the top-bottom pow runs at Pow-Mow, Bird, Alta, etc... I know it happens, but fortunately I've never run into rain-mix in Utah.

TGR was filming Corbet's today. That was sick.

Just stuff I've been musing over...

Edited by snorovr
  • Like 1

I do agree that Jackson has a 'small' feel, but in reality, the place is fucking huge. Sure, you can see the lower faces from AV, but it's over a mile away. It's a very compact mountain, but almost *everything* wall to wall is skiable sans a few rock outcroppings near Alta chutes. I do love Jackson, but I also have a few things I don't really like.

Things I love about Jackson:

1) Terrain - some of the best. Top to bottom steeps. It's 4100 vertical feet of uninterrupted vertical. Rendezvous to the Hobacks or Rendezvous to ERT to Ten Sleep to the Cirque to a lower face is a fucking killer run.

2) Hobacks - JH isn't complete without the Hobacks. A gap in the trees off Rendezvous Trail with a simple sign with no indication of snow conditions is part of the fun. You really have no idea what it's going to be like until you're in. Once you're in, it's nearly 3000 vertical to the cat track that you can't wait to see. When they're good, they're great. I love going all the way to the boundry, rip down South Hoback to the rock/tree outcropping, then cut left through the trees to get the last bit of fresh hiding near middle hoback. I love looking around and not seeing a single human being.

3) Lifts - even the slow speed lifts are freakin fast. There is no need for Sublette or Thunder to be a high speed lift, as they go straight up. The Gondy is 2700 vert, and the tram the full monty. No better way to get the top in under 10 minutes.

4) You're in JH - After a final run in Saratoga, I love cruising back to the base, skiing through the base area to see all the rockered skis outside of TGR HQ, then over to the Mangy Moose and get a pitcher of Snake River Pako's IPA. Great way to end the day.

Things I don't particularly care for:

1) Locals - they're rude, douchy, and the best skiers in the world. They track the fuck out of JH so quickly, and then track the fuck out of the BC. JH is spent by 10am on a bluebird day. Sucks. Sure, the snow reporter always under reports, but when the report says 8", every Travis Rice/Andrew Whiteford/Tommy Moe is there.

2) Weather - I've had way too many non powder flat light days. I know...wah wah wah, but one of the reasons why I love CO, if it's not snowing, it's sunny. So easy to go a week without seeing Rendezvous without it even snowing.

I do love Jackson, but I'd love to hit Utah with you guys one of these years. The snow gets tracked out BADLY at JH, and afternoons are pretty rough unless it's dumping. The impression I got before my first trip there that it'd be deep powder, all day every day, but there is no such thing as a top-to-bottom powder run there. The locals don't really bother me because I just make fun of people. You can do it cheaply there (if I got my in-law's timeshare and had pizza a couple nights....). I would like to go back now that I'm on skis. That in itself should improve the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree that Jackson has a 'small' feel, but in reality, the place is fucking huge. Sure, you can see the lower faces from AV, but it's over a mile away. It's a very compact mountain, but almost *everything* wall to wall is skiable sans a few rock outcroppings near Alta chutes. I do love Jackson, but I also have a few things I don't really like.

Things I love about Jackson:

1) Terrain - some of the best. Top to bottom steeps. It's 4100 vertical feet of uninterrupted vertical. Rendezvous to the Hobacks or Rendezvous to ERT to Ten Sleep to the Cirque to a lower face is a fucking killer run.

2) Hobacks - JH isn't complete without the Hobacks. A gap in the trees off Rendezvous Trail with a simple sign with no indication of snow conditions is part of the fun. You really have no idea what it's going to be like until you're in. Once you're in, it's nearly 3000 vertical to the cat track that you can't wait to see. When they're good, they're great. I love going all the way to the boundry, rip down South Hoback to the rock/tree outcropping, then cut left through the trees to get the last bit of fresh hiding near middle hoback. I love looking around and not seeing a single human being.

3) Lifts - even the slow speed lifts are freakin fast. There is no need for Sublette or Thunder to be a high speed lift, as they go straight up. The Gondy is 2700 vert, and the tram the full monty. No better way to get the top in under 10 minutes.

4) You're in JH - After a final run in Saratoga, I love cruising back to the base, skiing through the base area to see all the rockered skis outside of TGR HQ, then over to the Mangy Moose and get a pitcher of Snake River Pako's IPA. Great way to end the day.

Things I don't particularly care for:

1) Locals - they're rude, douchy, and the best skiers in the world. They track the fuck out of JH so quickly, and then track the fuck out of the BC. JH is spent by 10am on a bluebird day. Sucks. Sure, the snow reporter always under reports, but when the report says 8", every Travis Rice/Andrew Whiteford/Tommy Moe is there.

2) Weather - I've had way too many non powder flat light days. I know...wah wah wah, but one of the reasons why I love CO, if it's not snowing, it's sunny. So easy to go a week without seeing Rendezvous without it even snowing.

Pretty much spot on. I love Jackson but man it gets tracked out faster than most mountains. Plus its expensive, I can usually get to Whistler for less and get untracked all day long on powder days.

Edited by burton71
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I heard there are going to be direct flights on United airlines beginning in December from Newark to Jackson. Eliminating a sometimes chaotic connection in Chicago would be Steezy. I'm hoping central reservations has some sort of special on lodging. A few years ago it was book three nights get one free so for an eight night trip you get two free nights which is worth about $150. Enough for a whole lot of happy hours ate mangy moose plus beers for the bus.

Direct yes...daily throughout the winter? no. Looks like the EWR-JAC direct ends few days after New Years and resumes first week in February. Makes sense, January is usually a low time for skier visits.

• 3 weeks later...

Next storm is bringing 15-25 inches..brand new Casper high speed quad opens Thursday. Some of the terrain off the Moran faces is really playful and some nice 1,000 vert shots..closer to 2k if you combine Jackson Face. Will save about 5 minutes on the lift ride.

New hsdq is a 3 min ride vs the old 9-10min triple chair. one of the more uncomfortable chairs i've ever been on. will be a nice addition to some quick laps up there if things are still nice in there late in the day.

Marmot, gondola and thunder open Saturday and the team opens Sunday.

Tram not team

Where did you see that?

I have been tossing around the idea of driving up there this weekend, and this may make my decision a lot easier...although it is currently raining down low on the mountain...