Blivers

Can someone please tell me what the FUCK the deal is with that fence? Bear blew my mind this weekend (in a bad way).

To keep kids from cutting over to black bear and getting killed by someone on that jump. I believe bear did it because black bear is their "advanced" park this year and cascade I the intermediate park and they don't want those trails merging. Any rider who actually knows what they're doing could merge there without a problem but I think it's more for the gapers. I don't like the fence one bit either but I get why they put it there.

Gaper control.

Well that makes a ton of sense to funnel all the gapers into the biggest jump they have. Worked out great for that girl yesterday who looked like she broke both her legs.

There are trail merges everywhere. If it's that big of a problem, make it like a 3/4 length fence so people will at least have to slow down, and put up a couple merge signs or something. If anyone working at Bear is reading this, that fence is infuriating. It does not make sense to restrict peoples options there.

Well that makes a ton of sense to funnel all the gapers into the biggest jump they have. Worked out great for that girl yesterday who looked like she broke both her legs.

There are trail merges everywhere. If it's that big of a problem, make it like a 3/4 length fence so people will at least have to slow down, and put up a couple merge signs or something. If anyone working at Bear is reading this, that fence is infuriating. It does not make sense to restrict peoples options there.

The fence doesn't make anyone go off the jump, it just keeps people from blindly coming into the landing. Is it annoying, sure. But after the shit show of people cutting in on jumps and landings the past few weekends it makes some sense.

The fence doesn't make anyone go off the jump, it just keeps people from blindly coming into the landing. Is it annoying, sure. But after the shit show of people cutting in on jumps and landings the past few weekends it makes some sense.

Obviously it doesn't make them, but you're channeling people right into it. You have to assume some of them are going to end up doing something out of their league when it's there. Just put a little fence right to the right of the landing or something, pushing them just past it so they're not cutting in. Even with that fence, there were still kids/gapers/whatever just rolling over the jumps, playing around on the landings and everything else that has become so normal there.

I agree it isn't the best solution, but at least it is something. The park was down right dangerous 2 weekends ago. I talked to a patroller and he looked at me like I had two heads when I said they need to patrol the park and keep people who obviously ignore park etiquette and simply do not belong in there out. I sent another e-mail about park passes but I doubt that will ever happen.

IMO, BC needs to move the park over to the other side of the mountain. It gets so much gaper traffic because it is right off the main lift. Put it over on Timberline and you could cut that in half.

I agree it isn't the best solution, but at least it is something. The park was down right dangerous 2 weekends ago. I talked to a patroller and he looked at me like I had two heads when I said they need to patrol the park and keep people who obviously ignore park etiquette and simply do not belong in there out. I sent another e-mail about park passes but I doubt that will ever happen.

IMO, BC needs to move the park over to the other side of the mountain. It gets so much gaper traffic because it is right off the main lift. Put it over on Timberline and you could cut that in half.

Some of the patrollers are no better than the gapers. Something does need to be done about it though. I feel like a broken record because this is being said every year but park passes. Please please please. I refuse to ride past 11am on a weekend because its human pinball. I've taken the liberty myself to at least try to tell kids that of you're going to go through the park do not cut across landings or use the lips as jumps. I understand you have to start somewhere but putting yourself in danger and myself in danger by cutting across the lip of a jump is not a good place to start.

Some of the patrollers are no better than the gapers. Something does need to be done about it though. I feel like a broken record because this is being said every year but park passes. Please please please. I refuse to ride past 11am on a weekend because its human pinball. I've taken the liberty myself to at least try to tell kids that of you're going to go through the park do not cut across landings or use the lips as jumps. I understand you have to start somewhere but putting yourself in danger and myself in danger by cutting across the lip of a jump is not a good place to start.

Same here. Anything after 11:00-11:30 on a weekend isn't worth it. Make the A Lift a park only lift on weekends that requires a park pass and fence it off to only allow access to Cascade and the tubing line. At least this way 1 park would be able to be ridden all day on a weekend and the gapers could still crash into each other on BB.

To keep kids from cutting over to black bear and getting killed by someone on that jump. I believe bear did it because black bear is their "advanced" park this year and cascade I the intermediate park and they don't want those trails merging. Any rider who actually knows what they're doing could merge there without a problem but I think it's more for the gapers. I don't like the fence one bit either but I get why they put it there.

Basically correct. Black Bear Park is now the "Large" park for the rest of the season and there's a few reasons why that fence is there.

#1. Before, you were going from a large park to a medium. Naturally, if you choose to go down the large one, you should be able to handle the medium park. Now, if we left that open we would have to do a whole new fence entrance anyway labeled for the large features and we would be intentionally disrupting the flow of Black Bear which is...

#2 It's designed and laid out for more advanced riders in mind. That means larger features and a top to bottom (if you want to, non-stop) flow. What tends to happen with the small-medium parks is we get groups of kids who hit a rail, stop, and wait for/watch their friends in odd spots...Then do it all over again on the next feature. It always happens and there's not much we can do to prevent it. Encouraging that type of traffic in Black Bear is not something we want to do and opening that cross over would be doing just that.

#3 We hope to get another line of rails skier's-right on Black Bear now. Opening that cross over would prevent us from doing that.

Putting the park on Timberline would be like a car dealership hiding a Ferrari in the back of the lot and parking a beat up geo metro on the showroom floor. The parks occupying the trails that they are on right now are the best trails we have for them.

Edited by skeer_tomas
  • Like 1

Comparing bear creeks parks to a Ferrari is laughable.

Bear creeks parks are the Geo Metro of terrain parks for sure!

Obviously you don't understand comparisons. He's saying have a park all the way on timberline is dumb as timberline is on the other side of the mountain and not as easily accessible from the lift. Yes it would control gapers but it would also be a bitch to get to. Does anyone want to either

A) walk to f lift to get to the park or

B ) have to ride up b lift and cut all the way over, having to deal with all the beginners, to get to the park?

Edited by Kyle

Yessir that is me :cheers:

Thought so. Not too many other people in kutztown would have a on3p sticker on their car. Saw you making the turn onto whiteoak around 345 yesterday. I'm the kid who drives the loud ass green jetta

Edited by Kyle

mk3 or mk4? if mk4 I know your car because I also have one haha. Let me know if you ever need help working on the car, me and my roomates work on vw's all the time

Mk4. Good to know there's other people here who know jettas. I'm at the point where I know that car inside and out right now.

There's no such thing as raging at kutztown. Cops cracked down hardcore this year.

Go to shortys. That's the closest to a rager you'll get and it still sucks

Not completely true, I still know of one house that can fit 100+ in the basement and has its own operating bar down there... as well as a few other smaller party houses

Not completely true, I still know of one house that can fit 100+ in the basement and has its own operating bar down there... as well as a few other smaller party houses

I think I know what house you're talking about. But the number of parties has gone way down. I live in apex and there's not much going on in there on the weekends. Last year there was at least 2 parties in every building.

And mix. Thanks for the pics. Looking good there