How badly has the mountain coaster screwed up the intersection of Cliffy, Nile Mile & Bactrian?

JollyJake99

Scattered about the area but still around.

They have eased up on the parking lot deal......of course ya' kinda' have to when you sanction a drunk fest at the end of the season and give away awards for best in show. And remeber to reserve your spot for the party even if you get there at the ass crack of dawn to ski, the Sunbowl lot is reserved for that day.

Man that word circus keeps coming up.......

http://bonald.blogspot.com/clown%20on%20skis%20garmisch%20feb%2005.jpg

IMGP0619.JPG

10-09-09b.jpg

Edited by DiMe

• 1 month later...

Doesn't seen to have really impacted the skiing, but it doesn't seem real popular either (despite their having dropped prices quite a bit and offering $4 coupons at local businesses).

I expect they are losing a bunch of money on this project.

Only way I can see it being a money maker is if the variety of summer options gets their planned hotel lots of business for things like corporate retreats (that may use ropes courses) in the off season. Though I imagine a lot fewer of such things occur in this economy.

Edited by RFreeman

• 1 month later...

After a season of skiing predominately Cliffy, I did not detect much effect from the Bactrian-Cliffy merge. HOWEVER, skiing was only done on weekdays, so traffic was way down. Even in the week before Easter, when they painted the blue "this way to the Mountain Coaster" path across the entry into the Stevenson liftline, I had no trouble. Perhaps we didn't stay late enough into the day to be bothered by the "tourists".

Went this AM for two hours. Mid-winter hard pack with flurries. Plan to be there Wed & Thur., too!!

My senior year was their first season of trying the new extended opening... I went on April 6 and they had the 8 trails off the Sullivan open with great coverage... I don't know what it looks like right now, but with cold temps they can push snow to where they need it, and hopefully offer a solid product...

• 1 month later...

I can't believe it is finally happening, especially at that size, scope, and price. It's crazy enough they are building a hotel, but 453 room is massive. That's almost 4 times what I expected it to be. I think it is a hell of a reach, but with some good promos, they should be able to fill a couple rooms year round.

• 4 years later...

Ummm. I believe my full quote was...

"Hate to say it because I like the mountain but it seems like the place is becoming a circus."

Emphasis on the circus part which is exactly what it is and why I'm not a fan. I never said trails like Pharaoh, Nile, Birches and Cliffhanger aren't fun. Bottom line Blue is better though from a terrain perspective and a lack of roller coaster, water slide bullshit perspective.

20 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Ummm. I believe my full quote was...

"Hate to say it because I like the mountain but it seems like the place is becoming a circus."

Emphasis on the circus part which is exactly what it is and why I'm not a fan. I never said trails like Pharaoh, Nile, Birches and Cliffhanger aren't fun. Bottom line Blue is better though from a terrain perspective and a lack of roller coaster, water slide bullshit perspective.

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1689.PNG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know why the installed the mountain coaster queue directly across a busy ski trail? What a stupid decision. Yesterday I was speeding down Rhod Glen and need momentum to get back to Stevenson Lift, but there was so many damn mountain coaster tourists lollygagging in the middle of the trail. I like Camelback but that whole setup is very stupid.

24 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Does anyone know why the installed the mountain coaster queue directly across a busy ski trail? What a stupid decision. Yesterday I was speeding down Rhod Glen and need momentum to get back to Stevenson Lift, but there was so many damn mountain coaster tourists lollygagging in the middle of the trail. I like Camelback but that whole setup is very stupid.

It was like that four years ago...

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Maybe ski with a whistle to alert those people waiting in line that 50 mile per hour saltyant is coming through

I should try this. I had to yell a few times yesterday and then slowed down to a crawl. Then i needed to work a little to regain momentum