Whitefish today pic

sibhusky

I don't even need to look at the link. All about my buddy Fred... Who I rarely ski with because he's like a machine... God forbid you stop half way down to talk... Unless it's to my daughter, who he seems to have a "thing" for...

Of course, the mountain community here is pretty small.. Pretty much all of the people in the top 100 at least know the other ones by name.

• Like 1

Not tremendously scenic today. Quite cold due to high winds, so almost no one there. Wind on the front blew things right down to the hardpack in many places and where the snow landed it was quite dense. After it gets stirred up it'll be nice, but it took effort to go off piste today.

891906_10151486157322488_517829140_o.jpg

IMG_9771.jpg

• Like 1

some friends are out there now and posting some great pics as well. stop 1 on a whole montana tour - gonna have to put that on the must do list!

Are they back yet? Did they have a good trip? I've done several Epic Ski tours this season, one more today and another on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Another blue bird day, but temps started higher in the AM, so things were getting slushy by 1 PM. Brought out all the nuts, and a ton of anklebiters. Sorry, I guess I am a spring grouch, prefer frigid, windy weather with FRESH SNOW to this stuff.

884379_10151494314402488_907575072_o.jpg

• Like 2

Are they back yet? Did they have a good trip? I've done several Epic Ski tours this season, one more today and another on Wednesday.

They had blast, tons of pow with some bluebird! They hit whitefish, disco, big sky and maybe bridger. I need to stop looking at yours and their pics - as good as conditions have been here it seems so lame....

• Like 1

Conditions are such that every day I've got to be convinced to take a second run, so...not sure if this is the last pic of the year or not. Tried my powder skis in the slush today and it seemed to improve the swamp skiing, so maybe I will ski another day or so...

887002_10151506671512488_1835681111_o.jp

Not sure about "normal", but worse than last few years. I keep meaning to do a look up for snowfall and base going back in time. I know it's the worst since 09-10.

Oh, and probably won't make 1.3 mill. It was forecast to be pouring today so I didn't go up. 100% probability, but...guess what... wasn't that bad up there. Showers if anything, but mostly sun near as I can tell. Will go on a SATURDAY (gasp) to make up for it. But...can't make myself ski longer days when conditions are getting hazardous, so will probably miss that 1.3 by a few feet.

Edited by sibhusky

Looked up what was available.

snowhistory.jpg

To date this year, 256 and 96. So, yes, not a stellar year. But, the base depth has been worse on closing day. Of course, that's in two days, so if the weather doesn't cut it out, the numbers could get worse. Fortunately, they are calling for snow. We'll see.

Edited by sibhusky

Before someone starts on about snow depths vs. snow fall.... The snow fall number is whatever the depth is on opening day without any regard to how much snowfall came in the prior months. Then they start adding daily new snow fall to that settled base starting point. Other mountains start counting their snow with the first storm in October and never report that all that stuff melted before the base started holding. They don't do it that way here. If we get a foot in October, and it melts, it is NOT included. Only the remains of that foot that are still around on Dec. 8 or whatever are included.

Edited by sibhusky