Whitefish today pic

sibhusky

Anyone interested in SERIOUS vertical achievements. A guy here will crack 5.6 million vertical feet today...That's in ONE SEASON. When you factor in that not every scan registers, his actual achievement is much higher. Personally, I'm glad he's done doing it. He needs to explore the whole mountain, really, not just the straightest point between the top and the bottom, but in addition, I stayed the hell away from some runs this winter. He's a GREAT skier, but I didn't want to be in front of him.

Totally agree. Told him today that I hoped that now that he has set a record unlikely to ever be broken, that he'd start exploring the 3000 acres of mountain we have and that I'd come across him in the trees next year.

A friend and I had an uproarious time this year getting totally turned around and lost inbounds in some trees on the back. 45 minute journey full of bushwhacking in some beautiful trees. Can't do that if some number is important.

Edited by sibhusky

Hadn't seen that yet. Thanks for the link. As to visitors, I had a new record of EpicSki visits, I know that much - five different visits. I think the last two years of having way more snow than Colorado is the reason this is happening. I bet Schweitzer is seeing even more increases than we are.

Thinking about it, they are also doing a great job on social media, not just the mountain, but also the town. Plus, we had... yech.. The Bachelor a few months back.. People apparently watch that horror. And they are going to be filming a movie shortly.. Then Powder and SKI had us highly rated. Native Eyewear had a big contest we won. Huge ad campaigns in Seattle, Minneapolis, and New York.

And, of course, there's my website. :D

One of the men I took around was intimidated by the height of the mountain - his hill was 300 feet. But we took him down a bunch of things while he was here that he didn't think he could do. Crowds are very low here, which helps. You just need to sorry about yourself. What might be a problem for her is the fog. But if she comes, I'll help out.

Big Sky is way more intimidating than Whitefish visually. Lone Peak, soaring into the sky, with those cliffs, makes for quite a sight.

Edited by sibhusky

You get used to it. I just tell myself, "You've been down this hundreds of times, you know the trail, just believe that." And I stay away from certain areas that I know will induce vertigo due to the lack of visual reference points. The Bowl, Inspo Ridge, Toni, and sometimes Moe-Mentum, are all things to stay off of due to lack of trees and changes in pitch that you really cannot see.

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate visibility. Ideal is thick clouds hovering ABOVE my head. Brilliant blue days are only okay if it's in the teens or lower.

Edited by sibhusky

• 3 months later...

Apparently, Warren Miller Entertainment was here in January. http://player.vimeo.com/video/71989338

There's three glimpses in the trailer - probably means 30 seconds in the actual movie. My understanding is that 5-7 minutes of the film is in Montana, which includes Big Sky, and maybe Red Lodge as well, so how much time will we get?

I do know that they were shooting something with a guy named David Steele sometime last season..

• 1 month later...

it was an 80 hour train ride. details escape me.

from the website....

between Havre, MT and Minot - the Nez Peirce National Historic Park – Bear Paw National Battlefield,

i was really dissapoited i missed everything though. it got dark before we entered whitefish so i missed all the good stuff in MT.

comin into portland was banger though.

oh, border patrol came on and swiped some guy in malta too. we were refueling and that happened.

• 2 months later...

Franky, Doug, I don't recognize that as Elkweed. Elkweed had trees on it last I looked. Could maybe be Fault 3, which leads into Elkweed, but I've never entered from there. It LOOKS LIKE the top of Hogan's East alongside Elkweed. When I saw that label I had this "It's been a long summer" WTF feeling..

Will keep watching that, but.. when things are deep you can ski steeper stuff.

I've skied all the places I've taken pictures of on my site.