Vail TR 2/9/13

Barb

Vail's ticket prices are inflated to attract a certain type of clientele, and it works for them.

The mountain is awesome though.

Exactly, this is what I'm saying.

Its just like DV, DV is expensive but that is what the people who ski at DV want and its the same deal with Vail or the Beav etc etc. Fuck some schmuck in a chef's outfit has to come out at 3 and serve warm cookies because that is what this type of crowd wants.

What I don't like is the death of the OG hardcore skiing hill. It has lifts and a building, you go skiing and that's it. Skiing is getting too expensive, for a family of four a couple days at Killy or Vail is 2k no problem and there are less and less alternatives every year.

People want to blow up Powder into the next Vail, Stowe mother fucking blew up with the Spruce monstrosity, shit even Bridger strung a lift up Slushman's and the loaf, five hours from Boston is set to become the biggest east of the Mississippi.

I'm not saying everywhere should be Magic or MRG, I'm saying skiing needs these kinds of places if not for what they represent than just for the simple fact that they are relatively cheap.

• Like 4

Pow now is the biggest area in acerage I think a shame its flat.

yeah it sucks don't ever go there.

If you have not skied there you do not understand.

I have ridden Powder, I have ridden Vail, Powder claims more terrain but it ain't even close Vail is 3x the size of Powder. Blue Sky basin takes 20 mins of legit riding to get to. Vail has 10 fucking bowls that are like 3/4 Baldy size and about a billion lifts.

Vail is what you expect Aspen to be in your mind. It is huge, like crazy huge, with nice shit everywhere and pimp lodges and shit. People mother fucking flock there and hence why its 110+.

Riding at Vail is about the whole Vail dealio which is why its fucking expensive.

Snowbasin who has lots of nice shit and HS lifts will have to go this way to eventually, UT adjusted of course. Most of that resort was Olympic and state money and the dude who owns it has deep pockets from his O&G empire but they are running out of $$ to subsidize the lift ticket price.

The Basin is raising their prices. You used to be able to go there and pay $61 for a lift ticket. Now I think they are mid $80s from what I remember this year. PowMow is still the deal and if you know where to go (which you do) then its game on.

• Like 1

The Basin is raising their prices. You used to be able to go there and pay $61 for a lift ticket. Now I think they are mid $80s from what I remember this year. PowMow is still the deal and if you know where to go (which you do) then its game on.

No one should go to UT ever its terrible.

80's fuuuuucccck figures marble and brass and all that shit ain't cheap. The highway out there is all UT state money, Robert Holding who owns it and Sinclair oil is big buddies with Orrin Hatch, word is he simply called Orrin and said I want x dollars and a highway for my resort --cough- Olympics and bam it was done.

Only place I've ever been where they bring all the gondy cars in underground every night.

• Like 2

I wanna ski Alta I heard there are freshies for days after storms and best of all no snowboarders. Brighton looks sick all 1500 vert of it!!!

Brighton is a sleeper - we still got knee deep turns there days after a storm. Sorry you judge your mountains on vert. Like said before, Utah sucks. Don't every go there so there is more for us.

No one should go to UT ever its terrible.

80's fuuuuucccck figures marble and brass and all that shit ain't cheap. The highway out there is all UT state money, Robert Holding who owns it and Sinclair oil is big buddies with Orrin Hatch, word is he simply called Orrin and said I want x dollars and a highway for my resort --cough- Olympics and bam it was done.

Only place I've ever been where they bring all the gondy cars in underground every night.

Yeah I can't even imagine what the access road was like into that place before the olympics. In a way, i wish it never would have happened because there would be so many less people there. A buddy of ours who works there said its turning into the Bird since they sold 10k+ season passes for $425 this year and all the people in SLC bought passes there so they can gape it up after they gape up the Cottonwoods after a storm. (he is a jaded Utah local now, but selling that many passes has to bring in a lot more people than normal)

I think I paid $42 at Pow Mow last year with the industry discount. My have been the best $42 I ever spent.

What is skiing ?

There is a dictionary definition certainly and that's all well and good but its equivalent to saying sex is a penis and a vagina for procreation, it only tells part of the story.

In that sense every resort is an answer to the above in their own style, DV has a narrative about what skiing is and so does Silverton, both are valid but wildly different.

If you limit yourself to one place your only going to get one story and the richness of the adventure, the multiple ways in which you can answer the above is what is maybe most interesting to me.

Why would anyone ski Suicide Six beyond the bad ass name ?

Slokemo, Stratton, Magic and Bromely are a stone's throw and are bigger, faster and way more posh.

Because it tells its own story, short but steep with all day long freshies in the trees, its family and mainly focused on riding.

JH is amazing, Vail is amazing, Blue in its own way is amazing so if you limit yourself to one place your only getting 1% of the experience.

• Like 4

Any more TR Barb? I'd love to hear more specifics on what you did and didn't like.

I'm assuming you don't like the conversation this thread has produced?

Barb's TR was great. But what's even greater is the fact that it sparked a vibrant conversion about the mountain she reported on and even better, skiing in general. That's whats supposed to happen in an open forum such as this.

Barb keep the Colorado TRs coming.

Edited by Ridge Racer
  • Like 1

I'm assuming you don't like the conversation this thread has produced?

Barb's TR was great. But what's even greater is the fact that it sparked a vibrant conversion about the mountain she reported on and even better, skiing in general. That's whats supposed to happen in an open forum such as this.

Barb keep the Colorado TRs coming.

:wub:

• Like 1

Tried to edit the other post but wouldn't let me. So to answer your question SK, there was just something I didn't like about Vail. My snowboarding abilities are not good enough to ride the stuff Vail is famous for, plus we had kids in tow. My older son loves Vail, he went a bunch last season because he had the epic pass. But he rides hard and loves the steep stuff (which scares me). We only went with my younger son and his friend and they are more about just having fun on the mountain.

Vail gets really crowded. About an hour after the lifts opened there was already a 10+ minute wait. People flying into Denver who want the Colorado experience are going to go to the big name places like Vail, Breckenridge etc. I find Winter Park to be a much more laid back place, plus you don't have to drive through the tunnel to get there.

I had planned on going to Copper this weekend since my pass is also good there so my son could see his friend who flew in from NJ for the week. But yesterday the little SOB cut school and took a bus to Denver because he didn't want to wait till the weekend to see his friend. Now he's grounded and we are not going. Hopefully I'll get on the snow the following weekend.

• Like 3

I had planned on going to Copper this weekend since my pass is also good there so my son could see his friend who flew in from NJ for the week. But yesterday the little SOB cut school and took a bus to Denver because he didn't want to wait till the weekend to see his friend. Now he's grounded and we are not going. Hopefully I'll get on the snow the following weekend.

Barb laying down the law!

Vail is reporting 153 inches so far this season. Alta / bird is reporting 240. Jackson is reporting 265. Brighton is reporting 270. Just saying.

Seasonal stats mean exactly zip. Some start counting in October, some start opening day. What counts is what is ON THE GROUND.

Seasonal stats mean exactly zip. Some start counting in October, some start opening day. What counts is what is ON THE GROUND.

Because ski areas are oh so truthful when reporting what's on the ground? LOL

Point I'm making is other Rocky mountain resorts get a lot more snow and charge half of what Vail charges.

Edited by Ridge Racer