Vail TR 2/9/13

Barb

Just skied Magic on prez day sunday for $56 (buy in advance online price). Got some really interesting terain too

For me its like the perfect EC mountain, normally one lift, a small lodge, relatively cheap, good beer, good people and generally not very full.

The terrain for the EC is hot shit, steeps, tons of glades and an entire mtn to tour to that is connected to Magic.

I'm 1/100,000 owner of that place, I have 1/100th of a share or something LOL

I'm assuming you don't like the conversation this thread has produced?

Barb's TR was great. But what's even greater is the fact that it sparked a vibrant conversion about the mountain she reported on and even better, skiing in general. That's whats supposed to happen in an open forum such as this.

Barb keep the Colorado TRs coming.

No no... I totally learned from it and enjoyed it. I just wanted more specifics from Barb as I often see things the same way she does.

Tried to edit the other post but wouldn't let me. So to answer your question SK, there was just something I didn't like about Vail. My snowboarding abilities are not good enough to ride the stuff Vail is famous for, plus we had kids in tow. My older son loves Vail, he went a bunch last season because he had the epic pass. But he rides hard and loves the steep stuff (which scares me). We only went with my younger son and his friend and they are more about just having fun on the mountain.

Vail gets really crowded. About an hour after the lifts opened there was already a 10+ minute wait. People flying into Denver who want the Colorado experience are going to go to the big name places like Vail, Breckenridge etc. I find Winter Park to be a much more laid back place, plus you don't have to drive through the tunnel to get there.

I had planned on going to Copper this weekend since my pass is also good there so my son could see his friend who flew in from NJ for the week. But yesterday the little SOB cut school and took a bus to Denver because he didn't want to wait till the weekend to see his friend. Now he's grounded and we are not going. Hopefully I'll get on the snow the following weekend.

Thanks Barb. We have friends with a house out there but I've always been hesitant to go because I feel like it would be a lot of travel time and money for what I'd end up skiing.

No no... I totally learned from it and enjoyed it. I just wanted more specifics from Barb as I often see things the same way she does.

Thanks Barb. We have friends with a house out there but I've always been hesitant to go because I feel like it would be a lot of travel time and money for what I'd end up skiing.

You could ski 10-20% of Vail, almost entirely the front side shit show. Go to Copper or better yet ski more, get better at skiing and then go to Copper.

• Like 1

inst it about time jordan came on here and told us how awesome he is and how knowledgeable about CO he is.

Vail sucks. The bowls face south and are at like 9000 feet so unless it just snowed two feet and the sun has not been out, they have a super fun ice crust on them

• Like 2

Oh you know it. Possibly some video too if Philly core lends us his go pro and if we can figure out how to attach it to our pole like you do.

It's just me and jf dan the Man. Philly core couldn't make it this year.

So pissed my buddy bailed on me for my Utah trip so I guess my out west trip isn't going to happen this year.... Unless I go by myself.

So pissed my buddy bailed on me for my Utah trip so I guess my out west trip isn't going to happen this year.... Unless I go by myself.

I agree with the others, go alone. I've done a couple solo trips, sometimes I've met new friends to ski with and other times I've just explored on my own and enjoyed the quiet solitude. Can't go wrong, but you don't want to pass up a trip west. Hope you have an awesome time.

I understand the safety concerns, no doubt you gotta be safe but you can still have tons of fun just ripping long groomers, taking in the views, and challenging yourself a little bit in some "on trail" difficult terrain. Pay attention to fences, signs, and if you're not sure about something don't do it or ask patrol before you do. Or don't go, but no guarantee your buddy won't back out again next year.

• Like 2

You know, on Epic you can often make arrangements for meet ups with the area Epic Ski ambassadors. For instance, a new arrival here in Whitefish contacted me because she needed a ski buddy and I'm skiing with her every Sunday now, showing her around. Not sure which Utah resort you're going to, but it's worth a try.

Also, many large resorts have free tours offered to show you around the place so you can get a feel for it. We have groups leaving the summit twice a day here. They break you up according to ability and interest and take you on a tour.

I know it's intimidating to travel alone, but when I was your age I jumped on a train down the boot of Italy and got on a boat to Athens and then another to Crete. Had never been to Greece and didn't speak the language. Had almost no money and was traveling with the goats. I slept on a beach at night and soon was meeting up with a ton of people. If I could do it, so can you.

• Like 2