Bar Down Please

NMSKI

I saw this on the Today show this morning when I was getting ready for work. Apparently the kid threw a snowball at his buddies in the chair ahead of him (who were filming) and his momentum carried him right off the chair.

Looks like he fell into Chile's Glade which happens to be an awesome run.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0zioMFv2_pk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by NMSKI

There is absolutely 0 reason to leave the bar up. I really don't understand why you wouldn't put it down.

i think it's gotta be a PA thing...or at least a non-northern ski area thing. i used to never put the bar down until we went to VT for the first time. i guess peeps don't think you need the bars if you're not that high up. and let's be honest, most lifts in PA aren't very high off the ground.

As you all know, I'm a bar girl. I just say I need it down and they should watch their heads and then I make sure it comes down only when everyone is ready for it. This tendency of some to announce bar down and then mindlessly clock someone who doesn't react quick enough drives me crazy.

• Like 1

My daughter and all her friends never put the bar down, it drives me crazy. Most people I've ridden up with don't mind when you put the bar down, as long as you give them plenty of warning. I've gotten clocked in the head by the bar, and it is annoying.

Yet another reason to wear a helmet!!

Good for a clunk in the helmet at least 1 time a session...

• Like 1

ZZSlope and Sexkitten are the only PASRs I know of who don't wear helmets.

Helmets are preferential. If you don't want to spend $50 to potentially save your life, that's your prerogative.

Not putting down the bar affects possibly 2-5 other people...

Many don't realize that they can feel fine after banging their head and go about their business, only to have brain swelling set it and a day or two later they're dead...

Edited by indiggio

There is absolutely 0 reason to leave the bar up. I really don't understand why you wouldn't put it down. I was on the lift the other day with some kids who got pissed that I put the bar down, then starting getting really antsy 1/2way up Challenge that the bar was still down.

Because in every major study as many people fall off the lift with the bar down as up. If you can't ride a moving couch without falling off.....shit homey life's going to be real tough.

Lots of places don't even have bars, Alta has no bars and yet somehow everyone manages to stay seated on the lift.......When it comes around you sit down, when it gets to the top you stand up....sounds so difficult

Because in every major study as many people fall off the lift with the bar down as up. If you can't ride a moving couch without falling off.....shit homey life's going to be real tough.

Lots of places don't even have bars, Alta has no bars and yet somehow everyone manages to stay seated on the lift.......When it comes around you sit down, when it gets to the top you stand up....sounds so difficult

Beat me to it. Alta doesn't even have bars on the wildcat lift. Collins has a bar but no foot rest. I never put it down unless I have a student with me or if I'm "in uniform" with other people riding with me. Laziness I guess.

ZZSlope and Sexkitten are the only PASRs I know of who don't wear helmets.

Most people wear helmets and it makes sense. I should have one on. I like the bar down, it gives me a false sense of security. I've been on the lift with people who pull the bar down instantly upon sitting down, but then push it up 3/4s of the way up the hill.??? We were on the six with a guy recently that got bonked with the bar when we got on, then bonked again when we put it up to get off, then the chair got him in the head after he stood up at the top, it was good he had a helmet on.

There should be no law regarding helmets, if you don't want to wear one that's fine.

However its a pretty god damn good idea to protect your brain with some plastic and kevlar while traveling at 40mph 20ft away from 100's of very hard trees. Shit's nice for when an edge gives and you slide out or if a ski puts you down.

The chair lift thing is ridiculous, I love that the same peeps who are all self responsibility on the VT thread are the same ones who can't sit on a moving coach without falling off. If you ever noticed it sits of the hanger at an angle as well. Don't fuck around on the chair and you'll be just fine.

• Like 1

Don't fuck around on the chair and you'll be just fine.

Bar up or down, this sums it up.

Some people can't sit still for 5 minutes without fucking around.

How pissed are that kids parents that he had to get airlifted out of there? Insurance usually doesn't cover that.

Most people wear helmets and it makes sense. I should have one on. I like the bar down, it gives me a false sense of security. I've been on the lift with people who pull the bar down instantly upon sitting down, but then push it up 3/4s of the way up the hill.??? We were on the six with a guy recently that got bonked with the bar when we got on, then bonked again when we put it up to get off, then the chair got him in the head after he stood up at the top, it was good he had a helmet on.

I get bonked so often, it was probably me... :lol:

The reason I put the bar down is to rest my knees.. I shattered a knee cap a few years back. The only reason Alta is not my favorite ski area is this footrest bit. Top of every lift I had to wait for my circulation to return before I could head down. A pain! Was losing all feeling in my legs every darn run.

• Like 1

The reason I put the bar down is to rest my knees.. I shattered a knee cap a few years back. The only reason Alta is not my favorite ski area is this footrest bit. Top of every lift I had to wait for my circulation to return before I could head down. A pain! Was losing all feeling in my legs every darn run.

Several of the main lifts here at Sunday River lack footrests... I here complaints to that effect quite often...

• Like 1

Bar up or down, this sums it up.

Some people can't sit still for 5 minutes without fucking around.

How pissed are that kids parents that he had to get airlifted out of there? Insurance usually doesn't cover that.

Why wouldn't insurance cover that? If medical personnel treating the injured person feel it is necessary, then the insurance company should pay. Medivac helicopters are not flown at the drop of a hat! I think when my family member was medivaced, we only owed them about $100.00. I think we got a bigger bill from the ambulance that transported her to the area where the helicopter landed!