Sno Mountain???

Rambo

Could some of you guys tell me how Sno compares to Elk Mtn.?

The closest ski areas to me are: Greek Peak - 34 miles (40 minutes). Elk - 45 miles (50 minutes). Sno Mtn. 57-60 miles (probably about an hour).

If Sno's trails and skiing are on a comparable level to Elk, Maybe I should try to check it out on one of those $10 Tuesdays.

I always buy a seasons pass to Greek Peak but they are also in bankruptcy now and the FDIC told them to try and find a buyer.... rumors have it that Jay Peak, Windham and Bristol may be interested in buying and a few others. Anyways the news articles way back said Greek was 36 million in debt, but the actual figure seems to be 50 million - WOW!! All this debt is from building a huge Hotel - Water Park complex and an Adventure center with a mountain coaster, Zip lines, and year round tubing center geared mostly at 14 year olds.

I like both places but Elk is an overall better mountain. As you know its pitch is sustained top to bottom. Sno's layout is good for some, not so good for others. It's flat at the top and steep at the bottom. Good skiers will stick to quad that services the north face basically cutting the vert in half while beginners stick to the top.

That being said the steeps on the bottom are steeper than anything at elk. Sno has the long haul but it's kinda out of the way. Elk also has the winding trails like kickapoo that sno doesn't have.

The lifts aren't the best at either place and the snow is good at both. In fact I think sno may actually have a leg up on elk with their fan guns.

Every time I ski sno I'm riding the north face only (except for the last time I went where I got hooked on nastar.) whereas at elk I'm arcing wide turns on top to bottom trails like Susquehanna and slalom.

Bottom line is drive the extra ten miles and go. You'll like it. Comparing sno to elk, I put elk ahead but that being said sno is by far better than most places south of it.

Lets just remember, the reason Greek Peak is in bankruptcy is not because they over extended themselves, which could be the situation, but actually because their loan came to term and they couldn't find anyone to extend them another loan. My understanding is that they were covering their debt costs fine, but they didn't have the $34 or $50 million they needed to pay it off when it came to term.

That's being said, I'll have to defer to the others since I've only been to Elk. However, I would love to try Sno sometime, especially with some of those deals they have going on.

Lets just remember, the reason Greek Peak is in bankruptcy is not because they over extended themselves, which could be the situation, but actually because their loan came to term and they couldn't find anyone to extend them another loan. My understanding is that they were covering their debt costs fine, but they didn't have the $34 or $50 million they needed to pay it off when it came to term.

That's being said, I'll have to defer to the others since I've only been to Elk. However, I would love to try Sno sometime, especially with some of those deals they have going on.

Wrong. Overextended or not, what happened at Greek was their lender folded and no one bought the loans. The FDIC assumed them and forced them to file and now is forciing a sale. Gonna be an interesting march...

Wrong. Overextended or not, what happened at Greek was their lender folded and no one bought the loans. The FDIC assumed them and forced them to file and now is forciing a sale. Gonna be an interesting march...

Fair enough, but essentially the money got called in and they didn't have it. They haven't been able to find a lender. I'm sure that if they could find a lender, then the FDIC would allow them to keep it instead of sell it. Then again, government agencies don't use logic, so maybe they just want to sell it anyway.

eitz said the timetable approved Jan. 24 by Federal Bankruptcy Court
Judge Jean FitzSimon set a bid deadline of Feb. 25 for interested
parties looking to acquire the 440-acre property and its assets.

Seitz said the bids will be reviewed, and the ability to close on the
property will be a deciding factor as to whether those entities will be
invited to a private auction of the complex that will take place three
days later.

At that event, the highest bid from the sealed bids will be revealed
and other bidders will have a chance to increase their bids in an
auction-style sale. Then the new high bid will go back before FitzSimon
for approval or denial on March 6.

With this timetable I could see it happening though unlikley

The sale or auction (whatever you want to call it) is scheduled for the 28th. I would say thats where that came from. I think a desicion is to be made on march 6th, with a hopefull closing the end of march. I hope they are able to hang in till late March, but if there is a definite sale on the 6th, is there any type of financial benefit to staying open past then?