switch to skiing?

Barb

Anyone snowboarded then switched to skiing? I originally started snowboarding because my then 7 year old son hated skiing and wanted to try snowboarding. He said he would only learn if I did with him.

All my friends out here ski, they always have to wait for me to strap in and WP seems to have a lot of flat areas that drive me crazy on a board. I don't exactly rip on a board but don't want to spend an entire season learning a new thing.

I started out skiing as a young fella, switched to snowboarding around 1994, then back to skis last year. I honestly don't see going back to a snowboard, especially now that I'm the best skier on the mountain. The first couple days on skis will suck, but you already understand how to work your edges and how to carve. It just takes a little time to retrain your brain. It's especially nice having poles to both push yourself along with and to whack your friends in the back with. Ski boots are now comfortable enough that you don't have to give up having cozy tootsies. Lots of shops now do seasonal rentals so you can ski for a year and not have to worry about dropping a ton of cash into a sport you may not like.

• Like 1

I did it last year and picked it back up almost right away. Obviously the first couple of runs were a little bit rusty but it all came back to me pretty quickly. If I had the money a decent setup id buy skis and do both. I would say go for it, worst that happens is you go back to snowboarding.

If you never skied before it probably will be tough. I find that most people can learn to get down the hill on skis very quickly, but most people never become good skiers. On the other hand it takes longer to get down the hill on a board, but after a couple seasons most people can carve on a board pretty well.

I've been wanting to do this for a while now, just never took the plunge.

Here is a question for the ski guys here, my brother got a sweet pair of Rossignol skis a few years ago, and has since stopped skiing. His feet are about 2 or 3 sizes smaller than mine, so I can't just pop into his boots and go like I would like to. Are bindings easily adjusted to fit a bigger boot if I got a pair, or are these skis just not going to ever work for me?

I know a boarder who picked up skiing so fast he was getting down Connie's Coulee after six days of instruction from Siblet. Athletic guy, though.

Here is a question for the ski guys here, my brother got a sweet pair of Rossignol skis a few years ago, and has since stopped skiing. His feet are about 2 or 3 sizes smaller than mine, so I can't just pop into his boots and go like I would like to. Are bindings easily adjusted to fit a bigger boot if I got a pair, or are these skis just not going to ever work for me?

I'm guessing they'll have to move the bindings for you. Depends entirely on the Boot Sole Length not your foot size. Doable if it's the first move, usually.

Depending on the binding, it might be able to be adjusted considerably without re-drilling. Take it to a good shop and they should be able to either adjust it (best case/cheapest scenario) or re mount the binding if is too big a difference to adjust. I think as long as they fill the old holes and drill the new ones far enough away from the old ones then you don't risk damage to the ski.

I know a boarder who picked up skiing so fast he was getting down Connie's Coulee after six days of instruction from Siblet. Athletic guy, though.

I'm guessing they'll have to move the bindings for you. Depends entirely on the Boot Sole Length not your foot size. Doable if it's the first move, usually.

I'd love some instruction but the rates for lessons are pretty pricey. You around Jordan? I have plenty of buddy passes left.

Assuming they are a rossi binding you got a decent chance its a P series and there is a worm screw on the heel, adjust that correct the din and off you go.

PX series has a tab

FKS has about a 1bsl adjustment in the arms

Most skis can do three mounts and be ok, two no problem. Four if its got alot of metal but your probably out of real estate by then anyways. If the patterns overlap drop a heli-coil in the hole and that fucker ain't going no where.

In other news the Look Nevada is 63 years old this month.....crazy because every modern binding is essentially a look Nevada with less metal.

• 4 weeks later...

post-1419-0-86168800-1364254417_thumb.jpg

Bought these last night. Ski equipment is definitely more expensive than snowboards, especially the boots. Took a 3 hour lesson today. It felt very wierd to have to keep track of that other rogue leg not attatched to a single board. Took me a good hour to get the hang of keeping my hips forward, after that it was easier. If i can walk tomorrow, I'll go back out for round 2.

• Like 6