New Snowboard Boots

Schif

I know it's a long shot, since hardly anyone on here rides anymore, but my boots have finally gone belly up, I'll probably be able to salvage one or two more rides on them for this weekend, (so sad to see them go) but I'm going to need new ones.

What do you guys think of BOA vs. other speed lacing systems? I have Salomon boots from about 4 years ago with a quick lacing system, and it seems like a lot of bots are now doing a variant of that, or simply BOA, Pros and cons of each?

Other Criteria: Size 12, stiff flex,

I've got a pair of Burton's that use a speed lacing system. They've worked beautifully for the past couple years. The only downside I see is the one day the will inevitably come where I go to tighten them and a lace breaks, ruining the day whereas with regular laces I could easily get a replacement set. As far as actual function, they're beautiful. I can boot up in half the time it used to take

The only downside I see is the one day the will inevitably come where I go to tighten them and a lace breaks, ruining the day whereas with regular laces I could easily get a replacement set.

Burton's customer service is pretty baller. If you call them with size and color of the boot, they will most likely send you a free speed lace that you can keep as a spare. I buy my own traditional laces, but for something like that, they will probably hook you up.

As for the use of BOA and speed lace, I have only used BOA. I have the K2 T1 boots that have a traditional external lacing system with an internal BOA. They hadn't laced the BOA system correctly when I bought them, so they sent me the BOA tool and a new lace, and I was able to fix it fairly easily. Although the boots aren't the most durable I have had, the BOA fits all my needs. I was skeptical of going for them at first, but the internal BOA really locks my ankle down and can be easily adjusted by just pulling out the crank or tightening it. All of my roomies have Flow boots with the double BOA lace system, with the quick tighten mechanism where you push it, and it auto cranks the slack. Then you tighten to where you want it. One had the crank break, but BOA and Flow both sent new ones, and they were also an easy fix. I was also surprised with the strength of the wire.

On the flip side, my boss at SR uses the speed lace system and all his boots the past 2-3 years have had it. He seems to be very happy with it considering he goes back to it year after year. If the teeth that catch the lace break your in a little bit of a pickle though. I'm not sure how easily they can be replaced.

Overall, I am still in the middle with the BOA. However, now that I have owned a BOA system, I won't have a problem with using them in the future. I won't aim to just get a BOA system, but if the boot I want has BOA, I won't shy away from it.

Since my boots this year have had some durability issues, And I can't send them back because I need them to work, I will most likely buy two pairs of boots next year. One of those will be the Burton Ambush, so I could end up with both.

I've had several pairs if BOAS and would not go with anything else. Regular lace ups are horrible, can never get them tight enough. Guy at the shop told me to not rest your board on your foot when on a lift with no footrest and they will last longer.

I had a pair of Vans with the Boa; I liked the how quick they laced up, but I had trouble at times finding a medium between too loose and too tight with the foot vs ankle part of the boot. When I was looking at new boots this season I wanted to look into the the dual boas systems( separate adjustments for the foot and ankle/shin.

I however ended up with a new pair of Saloman F20 with there speed lacing system and I love them. I can make the boot as tight around the foot and hold the ankle/foot in place and leave the shin looser if desired or vise versus. I really like these boots.

I had a pair of Vans with the Boa; I liked the how quick they laced up, but I had trouble at times finding a medium between too loose and too tight with the foot vs ankle part of the boot. When I was looking at new boots this season I wanted to look into the the dual boas systems( separate adjustments for the foot and ankle/shin.

I however ended up with a new pair of Saloman F20 with there speed lacing system and I love them. I can make the boot as tight around the foot and hold the ankle/foot in place and leave the shin looser if desired or vise versus. I really like these boots.

How are the new F20s? That is the boot I"m on now, but I haven't seen a pair around. Are they still a low profile style?

Sorry Schif, didn't see your flex criteria. The K2 T1 is incredibly stiff. I have put about 100 days on mine, and they are just loosening up a little now. I got the 11/12s, and they were a 9.5 out of 10 on stiffness. I think the 12/13s are a little more flexible at 9. Took me awhile to get used to not bending my knees, but I'm happy with them now. Unfortunately, the external lace loops are pointed and have cut my laces several times. I don't know what the 12/13s are like, but they need to be rounded.

I much prefer lace up exteriors, but I like the BOA inside... Gets tighter and stays tighter than the pull up lock laces...

I do have BOA liners, I like them but I also like having the laces on the exterior as I tend to keep my boots somewhat loose. Couldn't tell you why but Im pretty sure it's because I left my hockey skates loose for the 14 years I played competitively.

How are the new F20s? That is the boot I"m on now, but I haven't seen a pair around. Are they still a low profile style?

I like them. I guess they may actually be the 2012 version. http://www.evo.com/outlet/snowboard-boots/salomon-f20-2012-2.aspx

The boots in the link is what I own; I bought them in december up at Ski Corner in Dickson City. The definitely have a much smaller footprint than my old Vans. I like that they are soft but I can get them stiffer by just tightening everything up.