The official 2013 / 2014 Ski Season Thread

RidgeRacer

Gore is a much longer drive but a very big mountain. The 2D trailmap doesn't do it justice. It's a 3D mountain. Worth the trip with the "free" ticket on the WNEP card. I was there last weekend at the Harvest Festival.

i liked that it skis like a different mtn in each of the areas. good varity of terrian. but the max vert you get off any one lift is 1700 ft (the gondy). most of the other lifts are like 700 to 1000 ft.

i liked that it skis like a different mtn in each of the areas. good varity of terrian. but the max vert you get off any one lift is 1700 ft (the gondy). most of the other lifts are like 700 to 1000 ft.

Oh no someone else is talking about Vert. Did Doug hack your account?

• Like 2

True, but most eastern areas are a collection of pods and you need to take multiple lifts to get the full vert. The Adirondack Express is 1500' and Burnt Ridge Express about 1450'.

The K1 Gondi is only 1647' at Killington. You need to take stage 1 & 2 of the Skyeship Gondi to get any more and the bottom is all flat.

Did you get your commission check from WNEP yet?

;-)

Well, I didn't want to say anything, but I worked out a deal that if we help sell all the cards by a certain date, all the PASR staff get a free card. :rofl

Edited by RootDKJ

If Killington opens this weekend it will likely just be for season passholders and express card holders like last season.

I would be one of those folks, but I'm on my way home right now, so that wouldn't happen. Regardless, it's getting close. Next week or so looking good for night time snowmaking at elevation.

Welcome back. U still in college. I will say Blue is cooler with you around. Sorry to hear you chose JF/BB

champlain screwed me with 15 credits left. long story short, it was going to take me 2 years to take 5 classes, and I literally ran out of electives...they wouldn't let me take classes outside of my major either. so basically I had to drop to part-time if I wanted to stay. being on an academic scholarship, I need full time status and a 3.2+ so they pulled it because of my drop to part-time status, I pretty much was forced to leave. that school sucked anyway, and UVM was too expensive to be an option.

thankfully drexel came in clutch and accepted most of my credits, plus they offered me a nice scholarship because of my grades and age. couldn't say no, so now I'm here. doing that full-time and working a bunch. life is a lot simpler and I'm spending much less money to live than I did in burly, it was getting old. really got sick of the town. I want to just finish school, save money, and move back out west in a few years hopefully.

I'd love to be back at blue but the $249 season pass deal is what sold me. Blue won't even give me their college pass since I'm 23, so I'd have to pay over $600. I'm not even sure how many times I'll be able to get out anyway, hopefully once a week but it might be less than that. For $249 it makes much more sense.

Interesting that there an age thing. Siblet gets college status and she's moved into "late 20's". Do they seriously think you can hold a real job and go to school full time?

yeah, it's total bs. even their "college rate" is still too much at nearly $500. 22 is too young! not everybody goes to school right at 18 and graduates in 4 years....especially skiers, since they tend to move around and waste time when their young chasing snow. what about those in masters and doctorate programs? usually an older student is much more financially stressed than a typical college kid, 18-22, anyway. I work 30 hours a week and go to school mon-fri. it already costs me $20-$30 each day just to get to the mountain being in philly...I just want to be able to ski just a little bit without having to shell out major bucks to do it.

Wow...2 years for 15 credits is some bullshit. Speaking of college remember when we smoked weed in the parking lot at Lehigh back in 2007 after supper at the blue mountain drive inn???

how could I forget? I think that was the night I rear ended your car on 22. haha. I'll have to make it up to blue at least one day this season, if there is a PASR day I'll definitely come out for that.

Well, but think about that. If you've also got a full time job, in addition to full time school, when exactly are you skiing? I'm suspecting your butt won't be taking up room in the liftlines very often.

Siblet is getting her Masters and is a Teaching Assistant. She has a tough time doing her grocery shopping and laundry. Skiing? Ha! At Christmas. And I don't know if she'll get much in then either, she's got a thesis she can't find time to do.

Well, but think about that. If you've also got a full time job, in addition to full time school, when exactly are you skiing? I'm suspecting your butt won't be taking up room in the liftlines very often.

Siblet is getting her Masters and is a Teaching Assistant. She has a tough time doing her grocery shopping and laundry. Skiing? Ha! At Christmas. And I don't know if she'll get much in then either, she's got a thesis she can't find time to do.

It can be done, I just have to make time for it. I'll mostly be going during the week on the days when I get out of school early...possibly some night action. I only work at night fri-mon but fridays I'm usually out from 7pm until 5-6am. Saturdays and sundays are doable I just need to be back in philly by 5ish. Ideally if I can get one midweek day and one weekend day in every week I'll be very happy, but I can survive with just one day a week as well. With the pass being only $249...and typically the longest season in PA it'll pay for itself rather quickly.

I was really responding to Doug's comment that you can have a full time job, presumably being able to AFFORD a full price pass, and still go to school full time. And my point is that with that much time being used up, you're not going to be using a pass as much as someone who is just going to school. Therefore, you only have time for a cheap pass. I don't think you want to argue that point? Or do you think that you can afford and justify the high price pass?