Boot Fitting Costs?

Mess

How heavy, tall, and aggressive are you? The stiffer the boot you need, generally the more expensive it will be. For an in season mid level boot, you'd be looking at 350-450. Stiffer race or free ride oriented boots that are in the 120+ flex range are going to run you $500 and up more than likely.

Price aside, make sure you get the boot that fits best, not the 'best' brand, or what you think looks best. It should fit like an even, firm hand shake, not a slipper. Get a boot that's snug and expect to go back for some tweaking after skiing in it a few days.

• Like 1

don't forget that you may or may not need work done to the boot so that it fits you properly and each shop has different rates for that work. custom footbeds could easily add $100 or more (depending on the kind of footbed). alignment adjustments, grinding or blowing out the shell, these all can add a bit of money to the base price of the boot. every one is different...you may not need much of anything else done with the boot. me, my feet and legs suck...so I need a bit of work done to my boots.

good luck!

Justo is pretty much spot on. Footbeds are a must...will make a dramatic difference in performance and skiing comfort. Crazy to spend $500 on boots, and not spend the $100 on the footbeds.

This. If it comes down to a cost issue, often you're better off getting the slightly cheaper boot without the ski/walk feature, removable soles, etc and spending that money on a proper set of custom foot beds if your alignment is off. Your knees and feet will be less sore, get less tired, your skis will feel more responsive and your feet will be warmer.

I have custom insoles that just moved to my new boots. The local shop includes all the fitting in the boot purchase. That's the norm here. But then again, I don't have weird feet and my stance on their fancy machine was alignable with just cuff adjustments. The only time we've paid for extensive bootwork it was for Siblet to have plug boots she got on a pro form from the rep to be carved to her feet. Friends who've had to pay got the boots elsewhere as well. It's not the normal thing here to have to pay for fitting at any of the stores. They have prices posted, but if you buy there, I don't know of anyone who has been charged.

I have custom insoles that just moved to my new boots. The local shop includes all the fitting in the boot purchase. That's the norm here. But then again, I don't have weird feet and my stance on their fancy machine was alignable with just cuff adjustments. The only time we've paid for extensive bootwork it was for Siblet to have plug boots she got on a pro form from the rep to be carved to her feet. Friends who've had to pay got the boots elsewhere as well. It's not the normal thing here to have to pay for fitting at any of the stores. They have prices posted, but if you buy there, I don't know of anyone who has been charged.

I think most/all shops around here work the same way, excluding the cost of foot beds.

Fortunately, all the canting I needed was solved through the cuff alignments. Plus, you know, if you're mostly on soft snow, a lot of the precision you need in tuning and alignment is negated because of the 3D surface. The terrain is uneven, the snow is soft, the skis have way more to deal with other than you. Reaction is more important than precision.

day one in the zipfit liners went very well. I had them initially heat molded in the shop when I bought them, but as you ski in them they continue to fit and mold. dude said it should take a couple of days' skiing to get the liner fit to stabilize. there was no real hard pressure points or excessive slop (with the exception of my right heel and instep...may need some, but not much, more cork/clay compound added to the right liner). my toes were nice and toasty warm (thanks to the neoprene and sheep's wool in the toe box), I didn't loose any feeling in my toes....no tinglies either. no shin bang either! towards the end of the day, however, the outsides of both my heels were a bit sore. looking forward to getting more days on the snow in these liners.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...