Gore Mountain 1-25-14

RidgeRacer

Fun day. Gore is a cool place. Reminds me of Killington in that your basically skiing different mountains. They're just stacked up on top of one another. Dan and I started off on the gondi early on which offers a legit 1700 of vert. After meeting up with guitar73 and Vicki from the ski diva (who is a local) we hit the high peaks chair. Skied some blues then I took an epic fall on hullabaloo when I hit what appeared to be an icy cliff.

Later we hit lies (rumor was closed) which is a pretty nicely pitched trail. Slippery as hell except for the sides.

We pretty much skied the entire mountain. Skied a bunch on straight brook and off the Gondola. Sagamore off the burnt Ridge quad was probably the run of the day. Like the Wilmington trail at WF.

Snow was OK. Better in the morning. Lots of ice by days end. Lies was straight up survival. Unfortunately the trees were closed.

Overall Gore is awesome. Not skiing tomorrow but I'll be back for sure.

y2yresyv.jpg

Base

ju5yhyry.jpg

High peaks chair

a5usa2um.jpg

Lies

• Like 2

snowed all day but didnt really amount to much. lots of fun trails. unfortunately they have been plagued by the same weather pattern as the Poconos, thus, the glades are un-skiable. lunch was excellent. real nice skiing with a few "oh shit" moments thrown in there with some ice.

I came in last night, have the whole family with me so the skiing for me was limited to Saturday only. We are currently enjoying some fine local Adirondack cuisine though

what exactly is local adirondack cuisine? I spent a lot of time up there growing up and nothing really struck me as 'local'.

We are in warrensburg, where they roll the sidewalks up at about 7 pm. More gas stations around here than anything else. They do sell beer though. The hotel is pretty cool, but it might be worthwhile next time to stay in lake george, where i would imagine there is a little bit more in the way of food and beverages.

I stayed in Warrensburg when I went up 7 years ago, and stayed in a ghetto 60s style motel where I was sure I would be axe murdered. TV remote didn't work and the buttons on the TV were broken out so OutCold and I had to use a screwdriver to put it in the TV to adjust volume and channels. OutCold almost got arrested while talking on the phone and the gas stations cut off the gas outside at 9. Ghetto for sure.

RideDE how did Outcold almost get arrested???

He was on the phone walking out by the road because cell service was spotty, and some cop stopped him and have him a bunch of hassle. He would know more than me. After 7 years my recollection of events are a little hazy...
  • Like 1

He was on the phone walking out by the road because cell service was spotty, and some cop stopped him and have him a bunch of hassle. He would know more than me. After 7 years my recollection of events are a little hazy...

Your memory is better than mine. I thought we stayed in North Creek.

I was basically the only person outside at 10pm in the town so the cop thought I was up to no good. Trying to find cell reception wasn't a good enough excuse for him. He just gave me some shit about looking suspicious, nothing major.

Your memory is better than mine. I thought we stayed in North Creek.

I was basically the only person outside at 10pm in the town so the cop thought I was up to no good. Trying to find cell reception wasn't a good enough excuse for him. He just gave me some shit about looking suspicious, nothing major.

Maybe it was North Creek, but we were at least 20 minutes from Gore...

1-26-14 Day 2 @ Gore Mtn:

vicki, tinymoose, tinymooses' friend skisuki (from the skidiva), and i rolled into the base lodge around 8:15AM to grab some quick b-fast and boot up. jfskidan showed up around 8:30. tinymoose and skisuki headed off to their second day of the women's clinic while jfskidan, vicki, and i hit up the gondi and headed over to the top ridge triple area. first run of the day was on uncas....aka scary-ass skating rink. boiler plate ice and wind scoured man-made, steep and turny trail, and loads of people on it made for a harrowing first run of the day. we did not return to uncas again that day.

vicki went back to lap the gondi (to wait for her hubby to arrive) and jfskidan and i went down to burn ridge mtn via showcase....nonstop 1929 ft legit vert and 3.5 miles later our legs were burning as we got onto the burnt ridge highspeed quad (def the best lift at gore mtn). echo def had the best snow all day....we didn't find any ice on it at all. sagamore was good as well, but a little crispy in spots. clocked myself at 48.1 mph on echo.

we went in for a quick warmup around 10:45am, then we back up the gondi to the darkside (high peaks chair) to access the legit steeps. lies head wall was still a sheet of ice, but the skier's left was the place to be. below the headwall the snow on lies was great. we heade back to the base lodge for lunch and to meet up with tinymoose and the rest of our crew. open roast beef sandwich w/ fries was the lunch special....and that def hit the spot.

we all headed up to the dark side again for a few laps. tinymoose's clinic didn't get to do too much steeps, so she was chompin' at the bit to huck a cliff or two. jfskidan, vicki and her dh checked out early. tinymoose, skisuki, and i spent the rest of the afternoon on burnt ridge until closing.

all in all a good trip up to the dacks.

• Like 2