New high speed?

Skiier14

I saw the video, but I don't have any idea what it could be. I think the end was just a cool time lapse look at the lift. That side of the mountain couldn't support a high speed because it doesn't service enough terrain. Not to mention you would have to be able to ski a black diamond to get to it, which would either limit the people using it, or even worse, encourage people to go down a trail that they can't handle.

The new owners have thrown a ton of cash at the place, and what they have done to it has been awesome. i would think they would want to re-coup some of that before laying out that kind of bread for a high speed. If they do, i think they would pretty much be following the previous owners playbook for failure.

Can't imagine they would even feel a need to replace long haul if it broke, since it has been operating no more than 20% of the times I have been there.

I'd like to see a high speed replace Phoebe Snow

um...i can think of 914 vertical and 4245 horizontal reasons to upgrade the long haul lift......

• Like 1

According to skilifts.org the long haul lift is 4730 feet long which I believe is the longest in PA. Makes sense since most of the terrain at montage is pretty flat

i just grabbed the map distance off of google earth....actual ground distance would be longer, so i don't doubt the 4730 ft length. either way, that's a long ass lift (dist and time).

Agree that a high speed lift is a great idea (Elk could use one also). I have not made it up to Montage this year (yet) but sounds as though there are a shitload of improvements and the attendance is way up.

Hope it continues and then the new owners make some money and can invest in a HS lift. I ski a lot at a small mountain in southern NH called Crotched; they bought a HS and installed it about two years ago, It makes a world of difference.

I always enjoyed Sno (Montage) great conditions and low crowds. Not being on Route 80 proximity of the NY/Northern NJ yahoos is a big plus.

I wish them the best and if they build a HS lift "they will come" reference to an old baseball movie that most of you are too young to remember. Let it snow.