Montage Mountain 30th Year

Skiier14

It could be done..when I took over the operation of the fb page it was at 700 likes...pitiful, and when I left it was at 14,000.  With Social Media they need to push it hard.  One thing that dissapoints me a little is there really wasn't any slope side pics like I used to take, and that brings people to the page...even those silly "Lift Follies" pics I took each weekend, people used to love them.  Too many bar scene pics to my liking and not enough of what is happeneing on the mountain, but...it's their gig now and I still root for them.

• Like 5

It could be done..when I took over the operation of the fb page it was at 700 likes...pitiful, and when I left it was at 14,000.  With Social Media they need to push it hard.  One thing that dissapoints me a little is there really wasn't any slope side pics like I used to take, and that brings people to the page...even those silly "Lift Follies" pics I took each weekend, people used to love them.  Too many bar scene pics to my liking and not enough of what is happeneing on the mountain, but...it's their gig now and I still root for them.

what are you up to now? miss your updates for sure - thats what got me there a few years ago and kept me coming back at least once a year...

• Like 2

Kinda both.....Spring of 2013 when the new guys took over I was all excited as was everyone for we felt that things would finally turn around, and..they did.  My last official job for them was doing a flyover for the Peach Festival doing aireal shots, went crazy..get a plane last minute, drop what I as doing atm and hurry up, shoot pics, land, edit and run up the mountain to get them there so they could be posted.....shot 100 or so....1 made the page.  Now if I had control and was able to post like I did in the past...all those pics would have been up, also..I would have spent the entire weekend on the ground shooting and posting like I did the year before.  Didn't happen.

No fault of theirs...new cheifs, some of us old indians..new ideas and some indecision on stuff, to be expected.  As the season approached I just coudn't get an answer as to what I would be doing, the social media, photography, all around good guy with all the answers with the silly cowboy hat on..or what.  Around Novemeber I was offered a real neat business opportunity to franchise out and operate a Pro bike/skate/scooter shop at an indoor skate park in Camp Hill, Pa, mainly a weekend gig.  I just coudn't pass it up as it in in line with what I do for a living, so..I spent last Winter in a much warmer enviroment, and that will be continuing this year as well.

I miss the people most of all, and alltough I'm in my 50's, I miss walking up and down that mountain to the tune of about 10 miles a day.

I wish they would send someone out with a camera on the slopes instead of just the lodge/bar area, I feel they are missing a lot there.  I think it is one reason regrdless of all the bad stuff that went on the years I was there that kept people coming back..we, or...I'll be selfish a little here, I did my best to be omnipresent and visible, and that meant a lot to everyone that skiied there.  "Have a problem....look for the cowboy hat."  It worked.

• Like 6

Kinda both.....Spring of 2013 when the new guys took over I was all excited as was everyone for we felt that things would finally turn around, and..they did. My last official job for them was doing a flyover for the Peach Festival doing aireal shots, went crazy..get a plane last minute, drop what I as doing atm and hurry up, shoot pics, land, edit and run up the mountain to get them there so they could be posted.....shot 100 or so....1 made the page. Now if I had control and was able to post like I did in the past...all those pics would have been up, also..I would have spent the entire weekend on the ground shooting and posting like I did the year before. Didn't happen.

No fault of theirs...new cheifs, some of us old indians..new ideas and some indecision on stuff, to be expected. As the season approached I just coudn't get an answer as to what I would be doing, the social media, photography, all around good guy with all the answers with the silly cowboy hat on..or what. Around Novemeber I was offered a real neat business opportunity to franchise out and operate a Pro bike/skate/scooter shop at an indoor skate park in Camp Hill, Pa, mainly a weekend gig. I just coudn't pass it up as it in in line with what I do for a living, so..I spent last Winter in a much warmer enviroment, and that will be continuing this year as well.

I miss the people most of all, and alltough I'm in my 50's, I miss walking up and down that mountain to the tune of about 10 miles a day.

I wish they would send someone out with a camera on the slopes instead of just the lodge/bar area, I feel they are missing a lot there. I think it is one reason regrdless of all the bad stuff that went on the years I was there that kept people coming back..we, or...I'll be selfish a little here, I did my best to be omnipresent and visible, and that meant a lot to everyone that skiied there. "Have a problem....look for the cowboy hat." It worked.

Glad you are doing well with your business. Thanks for what you did there - like I said before, I wouldn't have gone up there if you didn't post. Mostly because of that stupid moose...

• Like 1

Thread jack: when did scooters become acceptable at skateparks?

Right now Scooters are hammering the juvenile bike catagory nationwide (BMX, BMX Racing, Street Bikes, etc)  What started out as us here in my shop selling a few plastic core wheel sets has turned into well over 70% of my total sales.  Even commercial operated parks that didn't allow scooters in the door have done a complete about face on that..or they were going out of business.  I was fortunate...sponsored scooter riders before they started catching on, and when I saw it coming I invested a whole load of $$ into it and now control a 75 mile territory with about 45 different brand names in completes and parts/accessories.

• Like 3

I guess that would explain all the kids I see cruising around town on scooters. Weird how things change like that. I can't imagine being a kid and using a scooter as my get around town vehicle. It was all bikes all the time. I can't even imagine seeing a front yard full of ditched scooters, we probably would have made fun of those kids. 

• Like 2

Anyway, to get back on topic...I just checked their FB and there is not much of a change in new "Likes", so unless they really push it hard everyday and people notice it (should have it on the website as well if they don't already), looks as though people will have to pony up the $$ for opening day.

• 2 weeks later...

hey all,

montage is offering 20% off on-line lift tix purchases.  used promo code "BUCKMANS" at check out. offer is good through 10/24/2014.

Thanks for the info. Not so easy to navigate to the daily ticket page on the website but I bought one of the weekend 9:00 to 1:00 tickets. Not a bad deal for $23.20 good on a holiday when all the other deals are blacked out and other places are mobbed.