New

GeorgeCostanza

we here at PASR are not big fans of elk. if there is a park, it will fucking suck

He's just trying to start a flame war. That's not really an accurate statement at all. Lots of us like Elk for what it is. It's got good intermediate cruisers, slow lifts, and a long run out. It gets a bad rep for its slogan and the ridiculous drive to the middle of nowhere. It's got solid conditions and solid grooming. But the park is basically non-existent...
  • Like 1

^ how much coke did you loose in that hookers ass last night ?

Elk is an vastly overrated hill that people that want to appear hip and cool pretend is there favorite because they are desperately seeking the approval of other wannabes

EDIT:trackbiker not Ride

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 3

Elk is a fun mountain. Worth going to for the long runs and relatively uncrowded trails. It's in the middle of nowhere, so you get some nice views from the top, and the slow lifts give you plenty of time to drink a beer on the lift. They're not fans of it at all, but there is some fantastic tree skiing if you go for it.

^ how much coke did you loose in that hookers ass last night ?

Elk is an vastly overrated hill that people that want to appear hip and cool pretend is there favorite because they are desperately seeking the approval of other wannabes

EDIT:trackbiker not Ride

Of course Elk is not like skiing at the bigger mountains in Vermont but it does have some of the best and longest black diamonds in PA with a much shorter runout than anything at CB or Blue, the best bump run in Tunkhannock, several long blue cruisers, and two long green runs from the top.

The lifts are not high speed detachables but they are not "slow" by fixed grip lift standards.

They could greatly benefit from offering some glades. They get more snow than the Pocono's and the glades would be open more than other areas.

Hey, everybody has their preferences. I hate crowds and wouldn't go near Blue or CB on a weekend. I don't do park so I couldn't care less about their park. In fact I like that their lack of a big park keeps the park rats away.

• Like 1

Elk is a fun mountain. Worth going to for the long runs and relatively uncrowded trails. It's in the middle of nowhere, so you get some nice views from the top, and the slow lifts give you plenty of time to drink a beer on the lift. They're not fans of it at all, but there is some fantastic tree skiing if you go for it.

Clues on the best tree areas?  

To the right of Iriquois and left of Delaware and down off Mohican...

Thanks.  I think I saw those spots the one and only day I skied at Elk.  

It's a shame the sections left and right of that Tunk run have nice pitch and would be fun if they would lighten up about tree skiing.

Such a waste of all that snow to not let anyone in the trees.

Fuck that place. Why anyone would drive there for less is beyond me.

Edit:Im basically coming from philly, so if I was to drive to elk I would Just stop at Montage. Or go further.

Edited by rgrwilco
  • Like 1

Ski anywhere at Montage?

(Honestly, I think PA places worry about tree skiing mainly because rarely is there enough snow for the sections well off the trails and because they have created their own obstacles...ie: alpine slides etc....  If your waiver said "ski anywhere at your own risk, risks inherent in skiing include hitting trees...." that's one thing, but the first time some one double ejects under and lands on your old alpine slide - well, then that kind of sounds like negligence...you left that decrepit thing in the woods and told people to go skiing there....)

Montage lets you ski trees and even has a designated nicely spaced non steep gladed area up top that lets intermediates get a taste of it

And the bottom area at Montage is the most challenging skiing in PA and much of it is often left ungroomed.

Their $28 weekend morning ticket is the best deal in PA, particularly as there is never a line for the expert terrain lift even on holiday weekends

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

I'll give elk one thing, they have some funky terrain to goof around on if you don't get caught.  Little boulder drops and such here and there.  Great woods, just like everyone else is saying watch out for the redcoats.......oh and don't end up in some condo's backyard or fall in the pond ha.

• Like 2

Ski anywhere at Montage?

(Honestly, I think PA places worry about tree skiing mainly because rarely is there enough snow for the sections well off the trails and because they have created their own obstacles...ie: alpine slides etc....  If your waiver said "ski anywhere at your own risk, risks inherent in skiing include hitting trees...." that's one thing, but the first time some one double ejects under and lands on your old alpine slide - well, then that kind of sounds like negligence...you left that decrepit thing in the woods and told people to go skiing there....)

Hook up with Schif, he can give you a good tour of Montage.  I really like Montage as a alternate to break up what can become mundane at JF.  

And Frost really doesnt care about where you ski in the woods at all.  Its almost encouraged,  i stopped to chat with some patrolers in between the E glade and the Elevator, and they were trying to come up with a line to ski from there to Floyds, straight through the woods.  i thought that was pretty cool.  

• Like 1

I'll give elk one thing, they have some funky terrain to goof around on if you don't get caught. Little boulder drops and such here and there. Great woods, just like everyone else is saying watch out for the redcoats.......oh and don't end up in some condo's backyard or fall in the pond ha.

Been there done that (condos driveway not pond)