Socks

phillycore

I think pretty much everything has been discussed on here before equipment wise but the hell with it....

What kind of socks do you prefer and why.

Advantages of a certain material over another?

Obviously the thinner the better pretty much and definitely not cotton..

Merino wool or synthetic?

I've never really put much thought into socks to be honest, but they do make a difference.

Too thick or thin of a sock can have an effect on your skiing. (cold feet, shin rash, etc)

I've been using under armour socks pretty much the past 3 seasons and spyder before that. I personally like a synthetic, high, thin sock (little thicker than just a liner) with an arch support and thinner around the front of the shin, thicker behind. With a toe cap that is stitched on top of the toes rather than at the tip.

(yes I'm pretty anally specific about what I like...lol).

Considered switching over to Merino wool but most of those aren't as specific as I'd like...

I'm sure most people just say eff it as long as it's not cotton.

I can't imagine what stank his boots have but I heard GSS goes without socks at all.

smartwool lightwt and midwt merino blend wool socks (PHD socks, specifically).  the wool does an awesome job keeping up with my nasty feet.  plus, I like the feel of the merino wool blend. I have found them at tj maxx and marshalls for good prices.  also, check out socksaddict.com.  they have good prices as well.

Edited by guitar73

Smartwool makes good socks that last for several seasons.  When I switched back to skiing, I tried those CEP compression socks since I could get them discounted through work.  The compression thing is nice before and after you have your boots on, but once you have them on, the squeeze from the boots is tighter than the squeeze from the socks, pretty much negating them.

Last year, I tried Fits socks, and really liked them.  Again, I got them through work, so the price was good.  They are merino, so they're warm and don't smell like a Chinatown dumpster when you are done for the day.

I'm partial to thin, fitted, and haven't found a noticeable difference between merlino or a synth blend, like em both.  Good elasticity, old socks tend to crumple up in the toes sometimes. If your boot fits properly, you shouldn't need thick sox, imo.

Edited by moe ghoul

I got talked into a thin pair of merino Fox River socks a while back and I've worn that same pair for a couple years exclusively now. They are really durable and comfy.

I remember last year in the parking lot someone telling me how they had to borrow 1 sock from somebody. In middle school I used to keep 1 sock under the bed but it wasn't for skiing!

I wonder what brand of socks Robert2 recommends when it's time to dress like an astronaut

Pretty sure it was something like this:

I get the 6-pack of tube socks from Walmart. Put on first pair. Wrap feet in Cling Wrap. Put on second pair. Dip feet into buckets of roofing tar. Pull on third pair. Insert tootsies into boots that are four sizes too big. Astronaut warmth achieved.

• Like 5

I exclusively wear SmartWool PhD Downhill Racer socks.  Very light cushion where you need it and no where you don't.  If you have a tight boot, they're a good choice.

http://www.smartwool.com/socks/ski/mens-phd-downhill-racer-socks.html

I have two pairs of those.  Nice socks indeed.  I also have two pairs of these which I also really like.

www.backcountry.com/euro-socks-ski-supreme-sock

• Like 1

Anybody tried those CEP compression socks? I see ads for them all over but haven't tried them. I'm more of a $20 sock guy than a $60 sock guy, but if they are that great than what the hell maybe.

I tried those CEP compression socks since I could get them discounted through work.  The compression thing is nice before and after you have your boots on, but once you have them on, the squeeze from the boots is tighter than the squeeze from the socks, pretty much negating them.

Yeah, I tried them for about 20 days.  Overpriced for basically a normal thin ski sock.  The science to compression in the endurance sports field is changing.  Tons of triathletes and long distance runners use compression socks, but now that there are studies that compression of that level really doesn't do anything more than keep you warm.

• Like 3