I like trains!!! Train thread...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some great shots here of LVRR. 

Shot of some engines and cabooses in what is now a parking lot across the street from the old Main Street station in Bethlehem. 

LVRR pulling a load west towards Allentown our of the yard with Martin Tower in the back which was recently imploded. 

LVRR outside of Manhattan with the Twin Towers in the back. 

Lastly my two favorite color schemes of LVRR. The maroon, yellow writing, and white warning hash nose. And the white with black diamond flag. The White was my favorite but always do dirty. 

03C3E560-120B-4A2A-A472-ABDFC70834A8.jpeg

E13735A0-9B06-4413-94EF-EF4336197FDA.jpeg

F3CFB2A1-7BAC-49DB-99BA-DA946871E9E3.jpeg

303FC702-8AF3-434E-8437-740E19B3954B.jpeg

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 4

My dad sent me this just now. He volunteers at the National Industrial Museum in Bethlehem and gets to help organize the archives and found this while sorting through. This is a picture of him (left) with a colleague working on an engine in the machine shop. They are pulling out the old trucks and replacing them with new. 

8162FFC2-71FA-4DFF-BE75-77DC5C4C2E78.jpeg

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

Some great shots here of LVRR. 

Shot of some engines and cabooses in what is now a parking lot across the street from the old Main Street station in Bethlehem. 

LVRR pulling a load west towards Allentown our of the yard with Martin Tower in the back which was recently imploded. 

LVRR outside of Manhattan with the Twin Towers in the back. 

Mans my two favorite color schemes of LVRR. The maroon, yellow writing, and white warning hash nose. And the white with black diamond flag. The White was my favorite but always do dirty. 

03C3E560-120B-4A2A-A472-ABDFC70834A8.jpeg

E13735A0-9B06-4413-94EF-EF4336197FDA.jpeg

F3CFB2A1-7BAC-49DB-99BA-DA946871E9E3.jpeg

303FC702-8AF3-434E-8437-740E19B3954B.jpeg

You had me at load!!  That song I’ve been working on the railroad applied to your Dad.  My fourth favorite train song...

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Republicans ruin everything. 

21 hours ago, indiggio said:

Greed ruins everything.

im not sure who is ruining what here.  Who knows what the truth is, but i have read just about enough stories on who to blame here, i think the next one will have zombies, or aliens in it.  Basically the guy running the tourist train says he "does it for basically no money, and just a way to thank the town".  Thank the town?  thats what flowers are for.  

My money is on this -  the guy makes plenty of money with the tourist train, but in the past the town has waived the tax.  Now he cant afford to put 20's and the alligator skin leather seats in his porsche.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

im not sure who is ruining what here.  Who knows what the truth is, but i have read just about enough stories on who to blame here, i think the next one will have zombies, or aliens in it.  Basically the guy running the tourist train says he "does it for basically no money, and just a way to thank the town".  Thank the town?  thats what flowers are for.  

My money is on this -  the guy makes plenty of money with the tourist train, but in the past the town has waived the tax.  Now he cant afford to put 20's and the alligator skin leather seats in his porsche.  

I’m other news, here is a shot of a LVRR when it used to run those lines. This is in Jim Thorpe. 

507F1380-B238-456D-972E-FF74EED36F0D.jpeg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

The typical 3 sides to every story...

I think the town never really bothered to enforce the taxes, mainly because it was symbiotic.
Now something happened (who knows what?) that pissed off the town, auditor, mayor, whomever and they decided now to stick it to the guy, so he's just gonna give them the finger, take his toys and go home.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I think the town never really bothered to enforce the taxes, mainly because it was symbiotic.
Now something happened (who knows what?) that pissed off the town, auditor, mayor, whomever and they decided now to stick it to the guy, so he's just gonna give them the finger, take his toys and go home.

pretty much. Best. case scenario would have start enforcing the tax now moving forward, not charge for the previous years. It gives him notice, and the town gets money, business from the operation, etc. But, everybody had to swing their dicks and now nobody wins.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

pretty much. Best. case scenario would have start enforcing the tax now moving forward, not charge for the previous years. It gives him notice, and the town gets money, business from the operation, etc. But, everybody had to swing their dicks and now nobody wins.

Thats not quite the information i got off FB.  Remember, thats where i get my news from.  Most people on FB are blaming the local government.  

27 minutes ago, indiggio said:

My guess is, another local business person figured out he's not really paying all of the taxes he should, and is finding that unfair.  (as would i)  i have read on FB the "guy" is making plenty of money riding people around on his train.  Its on FB, so, you know, all true.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shadows said:

I'm paying to go for a ride. How is that not amusement.

Thats my take on it as well.  Its a fucking amusement.  It doesnt fit into the definition of commuter train.  You get on it, you ride around on it, and it brings you back to the exact place you got on it.  

Obligatory train pic.  

image.jpeg.2b9cc01e27ebdc2d216c4c8311dca2c2.jpeg

14 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Thats my take on it as well.  Its a fucking amusement.  It doesnt fit into the definition of commuter train.  You get on it, you ride around on it, and it brings you back to the exact place you got on it.  

Obligatory train pic.  

image.jpeg.2b9cc01e27ebdc2d216c4c8311dca2c2.jpeg

I recently read that per city code, there is an exemption to that tax if there is civic benefit...

I found a gem of a collection of Lehigh & New England railroad photos from the area. Here is a photo of one rolling down from Wind Gap, back towards Bath with the mountain in the background. This photo is taken just north of Summit Station. Jeff and I crossed this right-of-way on one of our runs this summer. The satellite image shows where the train is heading south towards the bottom of the photo with the ROW marked in yellow and the yellow circle showing where the other picture of @AtomicSkier was taken just after crossing. Cool shit. I like trains.... Choo Choo. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 9.30.19 PM.png

Screen_Shot_2019-10-25_at_9_33.53_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2019-10-25_at_9_38.47_PM.png

• Like 3

One of my favorites so far. This is the line that comes out of Bethlehem and weaves its way along the Monocacy Creek into Bath and Nazareth. The line is still in use today by Norfolk Southern. This photo is approaching the Union Boulevard crossing. The buildings in the back are no longer standing and senior housing is now in its place, but the ones on the hill are still on Main Street. notice the man standing on the 4th hopper car.

Screen_Shot_2019-10-25_at_10_00.32_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2019-10-25_at_10_01.21_PM.png

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 2