I like trains!!! Train thread...

1 minute ago, Benm said:

most of you are prob aware that the train in jim thorpe was threatening to leave because of the entertainment tax or whatever it is.

jim thorpe has dropped the lawsuit. 

I just saw that too. I haven't heard if the train operation is still planning on staying or not because of that. 

I think they'll stay. JT says it will be in talks with them about the tax in future years. unfortunately for JT, the railway knows that it has huge impact on the economy there and they will never, ever pay that tax.

good for the railway for telling JT to get fucked. its a beautiful story of business vs bullying govt where the underdog won.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Benm said:

I think they'll stay. JT says it will be in talks with them about the tax in future years. unfortunately for JT, the railway knows that it has huge impact on the economy there and they will never, ever pay that tax.

good for the railway for telling JT to get fucked. its a beautiful story of business vs bullying govt where the underdog won.

Agree 100% 

I hope they stay because Jim Thorpe is a perfect location for them, but at the same time I'd love to see them (Jim Thorpe) get screwed because the operation leaves. I wouldn't want the businesses and residents of the town to get screwed because of the council's decision, but they are the ones who voted them in.

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

i'd love to explore philly's subway tunnels, however it seems like a great way to get arrested.  of particular interest is the closed pedestrian tunnel that runs from city hall to race/vine streets

also, the two abandoned segments of tunnel under arch street between 10th/11th streets and 12th/13th streets would be crazy to see.  they were abandoned when World War I began.  i've only been able to find 2 pictures online, however on Google Street view you can see possible ventilation grates between 12th and 13th streets

looks like almost nobody has been down there, as the usual graffiti and homeless trash are missing.  however, the new cinderblock support pillars, wooden steps, and empty soft drink cup in left hand corner show somebody has been down there

IMG_1967.jpg

edit:  just found a 3rd pic taken in 1952

default.jpg?highlightTerms=

MediaStream.ashx?mediaId=107761

Edited by theprogram4
  • Like 4

If I remember correctly, there is a blocked off corridor at the 30th and Market corner of 30th Street Station.  I used to walk through 30th street station from the Cira center to the Market-Frankford line every day, and I'd always wonder what was beyond the blockade.  

Edited by NMSKI

2 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

If I remember correctly, there is a blocked off corridor at the 30th and Market corner of 30th Street Station.  I used to walk through 30th street station from the Cira center to the Market-Frankford line every day, and I'd always wonder what was beyond the blockade.  

you are correct.  30th street station and the MFL used to be connected underground, but the passage way was closed off years ago due to crime concerns.

pretty much all of center city from race street to south street, and suburban station to jefferson station is connected underground, however some tunnels and walkways are closed

Edited by theprogram4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 1:29 PM, theprogram4 said:

also, the two abandoned segments of tunnel under arch street between 10th/11th streets and 12th/13th streets would be crazy to see.  they were abandoned when World War I began.  i've only been able to find 2 pictures online, however on Google Street view you can see possible ventilation grates between 12th and 13th streets

TFTI. I just walked down Arch between 12th and 13th and it's fascinating thinking about walking over the tunnels just a few feet below. Tomorrow I'll look for the ventilation grates.

20191210_190407.thumb.jpg.3641f492d8217b5763cfabd591747723.jpg

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

Speaking of trains, did you know that the former Bethlehem Steel in Southside Bethlehem had over 52 miles of track just within its property? Pretty crazy. Here is an interesting article about the restoration of a narrow gauge engine that used to run in factory grounds and is now at the National Museum of Industrial History in Bethlehem.

http://nmih.org/restoration-highlight-1941-bethlehem-steel-whitcomb-narrow-gauge-locomotive/?fbclid=IwAR3Hrf20RVPmv5IxaV59OzlvjnNptZNxxSBh2cOJkD74bIC0EtI5FkVLprs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Speaking of trains, did you know that the former Bethlehem Steel in Southside Bethlehem had over 52 miles of track just within its property? Pretty crazy. Here is an interesting article about the restoration of a narrow gauge engine that used to run in factory grounds and is now at the National Museum of Industrial History in Bethlehem.

http://nmih.org/restoration-highlight-1941-bethlehem-steel-whitcomb-narrow-gauge-locomotive/?fbclid=IwAR3Hrf20RVPmv5IxaV59OzlvjnNptZNxxSBh2cOJkD74bIC0EtI5FkVLprs

My dad helped out with the restoration as well. He sent me some photos when they wrapped up the project. He was stoked to get to operate the engine again like he did when working at Bethlehem Steel. 

54A7BAC3-3CF0-4CDA-BB72-3A45C2782636.jpeg

AF719EEF-DCAB-48D6-AAB1-EE32EBC96196.jpeg

6E306E6E-74E9-46E2-AAE6-B5043B57C3A3.jpeg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

Awesome pics @toast21602...where is that first picture?

I believe that is where the American Legion is, if not the same exact buildings. 

the image is looking south. The road continues to the right of the man on the switch and goes back to the pavilion and banquet hall. The left side of the screen shot that I posted. 

B3BD87EE-EA0C-4030-A3F4-89FBF048C828.png

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 1