I like trains!!! Train thread...

3 hours ago, Schif said:

I see NS trains more often than any others around here. They really kill the PA market. 

When is the PASR trip to Steamtown? 

Yeah they do. Here are some good maps of the geographic regions where you will find the larger rail services. 

main4_2019_v3.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 5.06.56 PM.png

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Is that across from the hump yard? That's a pretty cool operation to watch as they build up trains.

Just east of the hump yard, with the train heading west towards the hump.  It was moving faster than I've ever seen a train move through that area.

• 2 weeks later...

19 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Accela went by across from work today.  Not sure what the deal was.  Def never saw that before 

When the pandemic first started there were upwards of 3 Acelas parked at 30th street station at any given time. That's down to 1 for the most part. Where do you work? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Schif said:

When the pandemic first started there were upwards of 3 Acelas parked at 30th street station at any given time. That's down to 1 for the most part. Where do you work? 

Right across from the keystone corridor tracks.  It was heading towards Lancaster 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Corridor

I see a lot of electric trains going to/from Harrisburg, plus each day once in each direction I see the diesel locomotives going to/from Pittsburgh.  Also, once per day the freight train makes a trip in each direction to make a pick up from the steel plants in Coatesville.  

18 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Right across from the keystone corridor tracks.  It was heading towards Lancaster 

I see a lot of electric trains going to/from Harrisburg, plus each day once in each direction I see the diesel locomotives going to/from Pittsburgh.  Also, once per day the freight train makes a trip in each direction to make a pick up from the steel plants in Coatesville.  

I lived along that line near Harrisburg for a while. The diesel locomotives ramp up at night. There are usually 2-3 long trains per night on that line. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

I took that line out to Pittsburgh for the stadium series game a few years ago. Not a bad ride. Bunch of other flyers fans on the train and they ran out of beer around Altoona

edit: not to mention “business” first class was like $75 each way or something like that. Nice reclinable chair with power outlets and plenty of leg room.  

Edited by Kyle
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Shadows said:

Trains are the way to go for sure. We need mass bullet rail coast to coast.

The infrastructure cost on such a thing would be astronomical not to mention the upkeep which would jack prices to that of airlines if not higher. For coast to coast travel I would just take it to the aviation thread. 

High speed trains would work best on the east coast (Acela corridor) but for a few dozen interconnected reasons that doesn't work well and likely never will. 

Edited by Schif

• 2 weeks later...