I like trains!!! Train thread...

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

Its alright. It really doesn't compare to train travel in other countries. The infrastructure was there, but now we have all of these rail trails and crap that occupy the right of ways. 

One of Amtrak’s issues is they own a very very small percentage of their tracks.  They are supposed to get right of way over freight, but when you don’t own the tracks this is harder (this is one of the reasons Amtrak is so slow).  Also, Amtrak was originally created to keep long distance passenger travel alive in the US, as all these routes were run by separate companies and couldn’t be profitable. However, Amtrak soon learned they also could not make these routes profitable.  Thus the reason fares on popular routes like northeast corridor and Harrisburg line are usually pretty damn expensive, to make up for the routes that bleed money 

6 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Its alright. It really doesn't compare to train travel in other countries. The infrastructure was there, but now we have all of these rail trails and crap that occupy the right of ways. 

I got my gameboy stolen on Amtrak.  The train I was on from Amsterdam to Basel Switzerland I had my own little compartment like one bench seat on each side and just when I was falling asleep ticket checkers came through with flashlights.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Sad 1

When I took Amtrak to Florida and to Atlanta as a teenager I liked the snack and dining cars.  I remember decent pancakes and sausage.  On a video I recently watched about Amtrak it was said that the steak dinner is quite good and comes with a salad and baked potato.  Having a nice meal while the scenery passes by sounds good to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amtrak's model should shift to a luxury travel experience on some of the longer, less utilized lines through the middle of the country and focus on trying to make northeast corridor travel less expensive to entice travelers or commuters. 

24 minutes ago, Schif said:

Amtrak's model should shift to a luxury travel experience on some of the longer, less utilized lines through the middle of the country and focus on trying to make northeast corridor travel less expensive to entice travelers or commuters. 

Riding the Amtrak accela is on my bucket list and I definitely want to visit Japan sometime and ride the bullet trains. @saltyantif you visit Japan you can stay in a capsule hotel and visit the bath houses. 

18 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Riding the Amtrak accela is on my bucket list and I definitely want to visit Japan sometime and ride the bullet trains. @saltyantif you visit Japan you can stay in a capsule hotel and visit the bath houses. 

Wow TFTI. While I did the hot springs in Steamboat, watersports really aren't my thing. 

8 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Not train specific, but here are some really cool photos of the "last cast" at Bethlehem Steel on the day that they should down all operations. 25 years ago yesterday.

https://www.nmih.org/the-last-cast/?fbclid=IwAR1u6bqKfq1hn1FS5K0PNqWKME5UKddRt31Saf8L2JuIihniDRBd_u31mUE

These are the remote controlled engines my dad used to fix for PBNE:

1727056111_ScreenShot2020-11-19at11_28_13AM.thumb.png.3c913ad56242a6cd16db021ae9db3daa.png

• Like 5

Anyone ever take Amtrak to killington?  I did 12 years ago, but didn’t take it to rutland and instead got off at Fair Haven station, which no longer exists.  That station averaged 6 passengers per day, which believe it or not is not even close to being the least used Amtrak station (some stations average less than 1 passenger per day).  Fair haven station was 0.9 miles from the VT border, so I didn’t even ride in Vermont for a full mile

ive also taken Amtrak to Burlington Vermont, it took hours longer than driving. I had always assumed passenger rail was on a 4ish track ROW with overhead electric wires.  It was weird going on a single track, no over head wires, in a passenger train thru the rolling fields of Vermont.  At one point there is a pullover for one train to let other train pass.  In CT we had to switch from electric to diesel locomotive

Edited by theprogram4

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

Anyone ever take Amtrak to killington?  I did 12 years ago, but didn’t take it to rutland and instead got off at Fair Haven station, which no longer exists.  That station averaged 6 passengers per day, which believe it or not is not even close to being the least used Amtrak station (some stations average less than 1 passenger per day).  Fair haven station was 0.9 miles from the VT border, so I didn’t even ride in Vermont for a full mile

ive also taken Amtrak to Burlington Vermont, it took hours longer than driving. I had always assumed passenger rail was on a 4ish track ROW with overhead electric wires.  It was weird going on a single track, no over head wires, in a passenger train thru the rolling fields of Vermont.  At one point there is a pullover for one train to let other train pass.  In CT we had to switch from electric to diesel locomotive

What did you do in Burlington?  Was one of these trips to meet VTMark?