I like trains!!! Train thread...

On 12/17/2021 at 10:24 AM, C1erArt said:

Are you working at that Warbird restoration place in Reading?

No, without going into too much detail on the public forums, it's with general aviation down in Delaware

That sounds like a cool job though!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, abe said:

No, without going into too much detail on the public forums, it's with general aviation down in Delaware

That sounds like a cool job though!

Are they still rehabbing the chinooks down there? 

Edit: I may be thinking of a different complex than the one you’re at 

Edited by Kyle

On 12/18/2021 at 7:29 PM, Kyle said:

Are they still rehabbing the chinooks down there? 

Edit: I may be thinking of a different complex than the one you’re at 

Wilmington actually, where Mr. Joseph R Biden Jr flys in to bless us with the "Joe Jam" ramp freeze, no fly zone, and I95 closure as he rolls into his crib with his secret service Beast whip.  Kind of cool though.

Not sure if you mean DE air guard base ILG or the dover afb, not really in the loop what's going on down there

Re: trains, tried to get the train working under the Christmas tree, I have really crappy track and transformer for that job and is going to be a massive headache figurung out what is shorting out... a problem for later

Edited by abe

• 2 weeks later...

I put my wiring up in smoke before... I had used too thin a wire gauge for the connection to the track, when the train derailed not enough current passed through to trip the circuit breaker and the insulation burned off of the wires

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Steamtown

IMG_20220409_142006_HDR.jpg

Very very curious about the cars that are shrink wrapped on the left side of your photo. Shape wise I'm assuming they are antique coaches. 

Might have to stop by here next time I go up to visit. 

• 2 months later...

Helped someone buy Amtrak tickets today, picking them up this afternoon. I didn’t know the 2 Amtrak routes I’ve taken to Vermont (the Vermonter and Ethan Allen express) were not only the least ridden lines, but the least ridden by far.  Vermonter is 18,600 passengers annually while the Ethan Allen express is 12,500 passengers annually.  The next lowest routes are in the 50,000s.  Vermont is the second least populated state so it makes sense.

been watching a lot of Amtrak vids lately.  The 66 hour texas eagle route from chicago to Texas to California sounds awesome, although the California Zephyr route from chicago to the Bay Area hits both the Rocky Mountains and the Sierra Nevada’s. I’d want a roomette, don’t need a bedroom, but both are wild expensive 

Edited by theprogram4

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

I'm really curious to know what headphones he's rocking... looks like the new Sony xm5 which is a fine choice.

Do you have any bluetooth recommendations? Something decent and reasonably priced? I could look into it myself but it seems like you would know. You can text me if you want.

22 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Do you have any bluetooth recommendations? Something decent and reasonably priced? I could look into it myself but it seems like you would know. You can text me if you want.

I'll text you some links. What's your preference (sound quality, active noise cancellation, comfort etc)?

Best of everything IMO - Sony XM5 but they're expensive at $399. You may be able to get a pair on eBay for $50 to $100 less.

Sound quality and realllllly long battery life - Sennheiser momentum 4. Good ANC but not as good as Sony. They're new so every place has em at $349

Great sound (slightly below the XM5) and ANC (again just slightly below the XM5) - Sony xm4s. You can get them for around $249

If it's your first foray into Active Noise cancelling and want great sound and great ANC - highly recommend the Cleer Audio Alpha. They're $219 but I found a pair for $149 so I picked them up and did a full on comparison with my XM5s. It was really close but I decided to keep the 5s and gave the Cleers to my wife. They're a great start up company based out of San Diego that is focused on Audio

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Thanks 1