I like trains!!! Train thread...

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

I hope the Jim Thorpe railway doesn't go on strike. I wanna fly over the Lehigh River on Saturday and maybe catch some live Choo choo action on my GoPro.

Always wanted to do a low level Ultralight run through the gorge , although there is one yuge high tension line that crosses it a little north east of Glen Onoko . 

Almost leaf peeping season when those New Yorkers migrate west and jam traffic in JIm Thorpe. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Always wanted to do a low level Ultralight run through the gorge , although there is one yuge high tension line that crosses it a little north east of Glen Onoko . 

Almost leaf peeping season when those New Yorkers migrate west and jam traffic in JIm Thorpe. 

If I fly the gorge, I'll be staying 500 feet or higher AGL. Thanks for letting me know about the tension line, those can be a little scary.

19 hours ago, C1erArt said:

Looks like Warren Buffet and the railroads didn’t want to take on Dark Biden. 

It'll be interesting come the 27 when the "deal" goes to the rail workers for a vote.

I know some rail workers and they're not happy with the deal, as it doesn't address the needs that they wanted addressed, mainly work/life balance. 

What's likely to happen is that the workers will vote no and say they're gonna strike, which will be sent back to congress who'll say FU, no strike, get back to work, you get what you get.  Warren Buffet and other railroad execs will win in the end.

Will be interesting to watch the chess game play out.

7 hours ago, indiggio said:

It'll be interesting come the 27 when the "deal" goes to the rail workers for a vote.

I know some rail workers and they're not happy with the deal, as it doesn't address the needs that they wanted addressed, mainly work/life balance. 

What's likely to happen is that the workers will vote no and say they're gonna strike, which will be sent back to congress who'll say FU, no strike, get back to work, you get what you get.  Warren Buffet and other railroad execs will win in the end.

Will be interesting to watch the chess game play out.

The points system for time off sounds pretty horrific for workers. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

With the heavy schedule at the sports complex this weekend, will commuters get to use the elusive lower level platform at NRG/Pattinson station on the broad street subway?  In all my years of using that station I’ve only seen it open once, and can only find one picture of it on google

I'm interested in this. Keep me posted.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

This is interesting it came up in my YouTube suggested videos to watch.  

Without watching, I’m guessing the gist is that the long distance routes eat up so much money, the prices on medium and short distance routes are expensive to make up for the long routes?

Edited by theprogram4

That video popped up for me last night too. I watched it but I didn't think it really explained the price issues very well. 

As much as I would love to use trains more (or at all) they are just too impractical and expensive compared to planes. 

I could see the train they talked about running between Las Vegas and Los Angeles as being a real winner of a project but honestly just based on past history in this country the construction of the system will definitely somehow wind up costing something in the $Billions and therefore make the fares necessary to recoup the cost extremely high and it won't beat out cars or flights. 

Side note, I just found out my company is in the beginning stages of working with Amtrak so I'll track down the specific people to blame for not having a high speed train between Philly and Blue Mountain. 

4 hours ago, Schif said:

That video popped up for me last night too. I watched it but I didn't think it really explained the price issues very well. 

As much as I would love to use trains more (or at all) they are just too impractical and expensive compared to planes. 

I could see the train they talked about running between Las Vegas and Los Angeles as being a real winner of a project but honestly just based on past history in this country the construction of the system will definitely somehow wind up costing something in the $Billions and therefore make the fares necessary to recoup the cost extremely high and it won't beat out cars or flights. 

Side note, I just found out my company is in the beginning stages of working with Amtrak so I'll track down the specific people to blame for not having a high speed train between Philly and Blue Mountain. 

I don't disagree but the caveat is the US has by I believe many accounts to have the finest freight rail system in the world. We can do whatever if it's a priority and for alot of reasons passenger rail in the US is not a big priority now or post war really.

They are inherently way more practical than single cars as they can hold way more people and travel significantly faster. Our problem is we built freight lines and they will not share them with Amtrack so you want to build something new along the EC or in CA and it costs billions as imagine if I said to you find a new relatively straight line from Philly to NYC without endless shit in the way.  Tunneling is fucking more expensive than straight up burning money.

I do think there is a huge difference with trains too that you don't get with flying. If nyc to LA is 20hrs on a train 8 of which is overnight and you get to see the country along the way often away from roads without all the hassle of flying I think you have to then think of the travel as part of the trip and it becomes alot more attractive.

We need more critical mass in the system too and from a certain perspective the only party that could fork over the money is govt hence why they are always involved but it's not that way in lots of other places You need enough riders but to get that you need a big system but little private money is interested in paying up and building shit if its I think people will ride kinda deal. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...