I like trains!!! Train thread...

2 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Probably a fuel containment barrier.

That's what I have also concluded after checking some video footage from the ground. Looks like they cleaned up quite a bit by yesterday and pulled the choo-choos out of the river. That must be a logistical nightmare.

Edited by saltyant

13 minutes ago, indiggio said:

And not the engineer?

I’m not train savvy. How many people does it take to operate?  My wife and I had a discussion the other night about there being two locomotives. Is the second one connected electronically or is there a separate crew? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

I’m not train savvy. How many people does it take to operate?  My wife and I had a discussion the other night about there being two locomotives. Is the second one connected electronically or is there a separate crew? 

They have been running with minimal crews lately because of increased technology. usually a minimum of two but it depends and the load, the length, and destination usually. There are not specific crews for each engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My understanding is that one crew of two people can run just about any train now. Even if there are two locomotives they are hooked up so that they are controlled by the first one. There's also a new trend of putting two locomotives in the middle of a mile plus long train that are controlled by the one in the front as well. So in that situation there could be a crew of two running 4 engines, two of which are 3/4 of a mile behind them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, a friend works for NS as a conductor and one of the biggest issues between the union and management is that the companies are trying to whittle crews down to just 1 person and eventually 0 because of all the automation.  The unions keep fighting these reductions claiming fully automated trains are too unsafe.