2015/2016 new gear thread

Justo8484

I'm incredibly nervous about cutting them to size. I saw that dynastar makes pre-cut skins for my exact ski, but they make it almost impossible to figure out how to actually buy them. Me: take my money please. Dynastar website: no thanks we're good.

Sorry dude I didn't see your other question but justo nailed it.

MC are pretty good, if you do alot of touring you'll end up hating the connectors but that's after like 100's of beater ec touring where you bend the front clip on rocks, stumps, ice bulges basically shit your not supposed to do with skins.

Don't worry that much about trimming them, kickers are only a small strip down the center of the ski and they work well, as long as you don't mangle them they will work, they might look like shit but that doesn't really matter.

The debate with skins is mohair vs nylon or a mix, mohair packs smaller and glides better but holds more water and doesn't climb as well particularly on drier snows, Nylon is definitely cheaper too. Honestly though it's like religion on mohair, mix, nylon. Buy something decent, beat the fuck out of them and then buy your next pair based on whatever you didn't like about the first pair.

It is mostly based on what you want to do with them, in the east touring tends to be straight up straight down, were as out west say CO longer very flat approaches in that case I'd go straight mohair for the glide. Honestly though shit now is so good it almost doesn't matter.

The first time you go your going to fall at least once, you'll attempt to tear your pectoral muscle getting them apart, the wind will blow either when your putting them on your skis or putting them back in the bag and they will most likely get stuck in your hair which totally sucks. Rest assured this is all part of the wonderful process of ski touring.

Lastly when climbing steeps if you start to slide you have to lean back on the tails which is counter intuitive, you likely lean forward and you'll face plant this too is all part of the process.

Obviously its best if you can do all of this while touring with some legit OG western types who subsist of nothing but gluten free water and the positive vibes of the universe, they of course will climb like a billy goat on meth but at least your foibles will provide lots of entertainment.

RE:New Gear

Got a sweet baby blue helly hansen outfit.....apparently I've gone full investment banker.......

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 4

Jlaw what's the latest beta on touring up north? Seen some dudes doing tucks, since I guess they got some snow, but not sure how much was even skinnable. Gonna be up in vt in a little over two weeks and wanna at least get a day in skinning up a closed ski area or something.

Jlaw what's the latest beta on touring up north? Seen some dudes doing tucks, since I guess they got some snow, but not sure how much was even skinnable. Gonna be up in vt in a little over two weeks and wanna at least get a day in skinning up a closed ski area or something.

ehhh.........tuxs is doable generally. Sherby is gone, the tux's trails up last I heard was hiking to the bowl lots of flowing water ice from Hojo's to the base of the bowl. Runs are narrow and boney, Hillman's is considerably more technical than normal and the biguns like Dodges/Cathedral don't go. 

East Snowfields I heard are the best right now and they have been getting some psuedo corn harvests but it's pretty rowdy. Two semi serious injuries last weekend late day freeze up is hard and fast. That said I'm sure it will be fun as long as you know going in it's gonna be a bit spicy.  I would definitely have crampons in the bag and use an axe for sure.

I've thought about tuxs but concluded unless something major changes it isn't worth the drive, I'll take a couple tours in CO.

VT resorts there is snow around but maybe less than you would think and their should be plenty of closed resorts. Burke is throwing in the towel this week and laying off 160 workers.

In order of probably best to probably worse areas it would be Jay, Stowe/Smuggs/Bolton, Killy, Okemo, Bush. Lots of snow snakes around for sure.

Edited by Johnny Law

Parts???

There's the main binding part, the brakes, then there's a plate kind of thing that I assume the main binding attaches to, then there's 2 plastic things that I have no clue. Didn't read instructions yet so maybe not so confusing.

try mounting them yourself! talk about scary...

I will likely be paying someone to perform this task.

There's the main binding part, the brakes, then there's a plate kind of thing that I assume the main binding attaches to, then there's 2 plastic things that I have no clue. Didn't read instructions yet so maybe not so confusing.

I tried do it yourself plumbing before...involves a plunger and a Johnson wrench..who needs a plumber when you have YouTube

It's actually pretty easy to do and it can be tough to find a local shop

• 3 weeks later...

Just need skins now! Only 7 more months until I get to try these bad boys out! I'll probably end up shuffling around on the carpet in my hallway to see what it feels like with the heel detached.

68465e1ca64192bd9d0f954a79279ea0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5