Where was your earliest ski day?

Ride Delaware ?

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

No that would be super gay. 

I pictured you and RideDE on your way to Killington carpooling together and stopping in Hazleton on the way up to ski a hill a few times. But then I reread his original post and it didnt say anything like that hahahah

Edited by saltyant
  • Confused 1

@GrilledSteezeSandwich This must be on Lofty Road. That's my favorite road to bike on! I've rode on it 111 times according to Strava.

What on Earth were you doing on that road? Virtually no one drives it except locals. Did you just go there to look for a hill to ski down?

image.png.dc64f2de851693f4024ba11162712f2a.png

Edited by saltyant

32 minutes ago, saltyant said:

@GrilledSteezeSandwich This must be on Lofty Road. That's my favorite road to bike on! I've rode on it 111 times according to Strava.

What on Earth were you doing on that road? Virtually no one drives it except locals. Did you just go there to look for a hill to ski down?

image.png.dc64f2de851693f4024ba11162712f2a.png

i just found the spot on google maps.  @GrilledSteezeSandwich i remember when this happened but dont remember the story.  did you just drive to where the snow was?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

i just found the spot on google maps.  @GrilledSteezeSandwich i remember when this happened but dont remember the story.  did you just drive to where the snow was?

This is great! @GrilledSteezeSandwich tomorrow I'm going to bike there and plant a commemorative plaque in your honor. I'll take my GoPro!

I'm just thinking about how funny it would be driving on that road, basically in the middle of nowhere, and seeing some random guy skiing down the hill there.

image.png

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

This is great! @GrilledSteezeSandwich tomorrow I'm going to bike there and plant a commemorative plaque in your honor. I'll take my GoPro!

I'm just thinking about how funny it would be driving on that road, basically in the middle of nowhere, and seeing some random guy skiing down the hill there.

image.png

That’s so awesome!!!  Great stuff. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, saltyant said:

image.png

No you aren’t. 

• Confused 2

Today I visited and commemorated the hill near Lofty, PA that @GrilledSteezeSandwich skied down in 2008. 

I've been biking this road since 2014 and it's my main thoroughfare for southern routes. As I bike, I often thing of the historical events that took place on the hallowed grounds around me. Were there Apache and Tomahawk battles here? Did George Washington walk these grounds during the Revolutionary War? Did anyone from PASR ski here? Of course, the memories of these events often die along with those involved, but in this case the memory is now preserved on PASR and through this plaque for future posterity.

While I was a sophomore in college, a legendary PASR poster drove miles and miles in search of white Perder and came only miles from my house to ski a little tiny, tiny hill with dangerous shrubs, rocks, and sticks, because he had such a passion for skiing. That is great and true dedication to the sport, and I hereby forever deem this hill Steeze Hill.

20191109_130948.thumb.jpg.42fa3c6c2313eab20d10dbd047125ce9.jpg

20191109_131020.thumb.jpg.45921c364b23d01212ab26e00a5fdaa3.jpg

20191109_131120.thumb.jpg.813ed0b2eb10620224f0acfda1137230.jpg image.png.c48b76585b9d61fa8d1638bc4489a53c.png

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Today I visited and commemorated the hill near Lofty, PA that @GrilledSteezeSandwich skied down in 2008.  I've been biking this road since 2014 and it's my main thoroughfare for southern routes. As I bike, I often thing of the historical events that took place on the hallowed grounds around me. Where there Apache and Tomahawk battles here? Did George Washington walk these grounds during the Revolutionary War? Did anyone from PASR ski here? Of course, the memories of these events often die along with those involved, but in this case the memory is now preserved on PASR and through this plaque for future posterity.

While I was a sophomore in college, a legendary PASR poster drove miles and miles in search of white Perder and came only miles from my house to ski a little tiny hill with dangerous shrubs, rocks, and sticks, because he had such a hard on for skiing. This is great and I hereby forever deem this hill Steeze Hill.

20191109_131120.thumb.jpg.813ed0b2eb10620224f0acfda1137230.jpg image.png.c48b76585b9d61fa8d1638bc4489a53c.png

Great write up Salty..I was kind of feeling blah today and that dedication made me smile.  You’re alright

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Today I visited and commemorated the hill near Lofty, PA that @GrilledSteezeSandwich skied down in 2008. 

I've been biking this road since 2014 and it's my main thoroughfare for southern routes. As I bike, I often thing of the historical events that took place on the hallowed grounds around me. Were there Apache and Tomahawk battles here? Did George Washington walk these grounds during the Revolutionary War? Did anyone from PASR ski here? Of course, the memories of these events often die along with those involved, but in this case the memory is now preserved on PASR and through this plaque for future posterity.

While I was a sophomore in college, a legendary PASR poster drove miles and miles in search of white Perder and came only miles from my house to ski a little tiny, tiny hill with dangerous shrubs, rocks, and sticks, because he had such a passion for skiing. That is great and true dedication to the sport, and I hereby forever deem this hill Steeze Hill.

this is fucking awesome.  a bunch of posters are gonna hate, but this is an epic PASR moment.  Salty, you are a gift to this site.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 years later...

Jan 1980 on a 2 day trip with a group of at least 20 kids from school that went in together to charter a bus to Elk.

Took a beginner group lesson then hit Lehigh off the top which took me all day to make it down. Was too sore to do much beyond the lesson on day 2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Jan 1980 on a 2 day trip with a group of at least 20 kids from school that went in together to charter a bus to Elk.

Took a beginner group lesson then hit Lehigh off the top which took me all day to make it down. Was too sore to do much beyond the lesson on day 2.

Skiing came easy to me because I spent a lot of time at the fun rink first day was big boulder February 1989 with my dad for beginner lesson rode chair to top skied beginner trail fine.  Then I really became a skier with ski club in 6th grade first day at blue January 4, 1991 when the mountain most of us ski at was just a young teenagers going through growing pains.  Back then there were long liftlines for the t bar and the challenge chair but you could enjoy all 923 vertical feet from the old peak. Since then the ski area or as they call it now a resort has gotten both higher and lower. 

I remember my first ski day very well , 1974 Doe Mountain . It's amazing anyone skied a second time after dealing with those nightmare Spademan plate bindings , I probably spent a good hour of a full ski day getting the snow off the bottom plate to re attach my boot to the skis . 

The rope tow ,I managed to get up for 3 runs and my buddies are .."Yeah you're good" So up the chairlift to the top . They spot a jump and I wait my turn ....looks easy ,no problem . I plant both tips and windmill my face into the course granular , I get up and blow out the ice and blood from my nose , my tail is between my legs now . The first pitch was terrifying, but I navigated it very slowly . By the end of the day I could make a top to bottom run without crashing .

I spotted another of my neighbors just ripping the place up and I set my goal to ski like him . He's my age and still rips ...I'll get there eventually . 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My earliest time on skis I think is actually the daks where we were on skis at around 3am. At a resort i think my earliest is one of them opens at 7 which is stupid early. Maybe Fourrunner at Stowe. It's still dark af.

The earliest I've started a ski day was  around 8am the day before, a couple of times I've driven through the night up north to ski a storm. Gotten there at like 630am, skied all day and then finally passed out. Driving all night sucks though kinda as if i try to skip a night's sleep I start falling asleep everywhere eventually.