East Coast Road Trips

NMSKI

It's out in the middle of nowhere. Limited amenities. Some of the terrain got repetitive, but I enjoyed the steepness, view, snow quality, and lift infrastructure. I'll go back this year.

That being said, I still prefer Gore...

Not even close. WF destroys Gore. Take the snow out of the equation because unless you're at Jay it's irrelevant. WF offers true 3k plus vertical T to B. Plus some great trees, steeps etc. Gore is great but it's a bunch of mountains stacked on top of one another. 800 vert at a time.

Sorry thought Phillycore was also in those woods actually on second thought if Phillycore entered those woods he would have probably ended up on his belly head first with his skis stuck against a tree lol.

Actually he did jump off of the East mountain lift that day. Gotta give him that.

Personally, I still find Mt. Snow and Bromley to be similar to Okemo in terms of terrain. Not a make or break, but just how I feel.

Magic, bar none, has the best terrain in the southern half of VT. It's just tough getting it sometimes with limited terrain and lift openings.

Mt snow has some fun trees and terrain on the north face and the parks are pretty impressive which give them the advantage, the bars and restaurants are way better than stratton or okemo imo. bromley's got some fun trees and bumps and has that skiing in the sun vibe, everyones happy! Ive nothing against okemo, ive been ther e twice and can't remember one damn thing about the mountain other than being the only 5 dudes there without any kids in tow which says somethingin itself...

MBike how do you like Okemo compared to Whiteface??

no comparison... I like whiteface a little more than gore for reasons other than skiing (I have roots and family around there and love the high peaks area), gore's got some great woods and terrain but some of the traverses are a bit of a pain in the ass

It's true, the fact that Gore has very distinct pods that are only accessed by flat traverses is annoying. It's just personal opinion that I like it better for reasons I can't quite quantify. Once you've dealt with the flatness known as SR, Gore doesn't seem so bad...

Edited by Ride Delaware ?

It's out in the middle of nowhere. Limited amenities. Some of the terrain got repetitive, but I enjoyed the steepness, view, snow quality, and lift infrastructure. I'll go back this year.

That being said, I still prefer Gore...

Seems to me there are a lot more things to do in the lake placid area with the Olympic complex than there are near Gore

Seems to me there are a lot more things to do in the lake placid area with the Olympic complex than there are near Gore

Completely agree, but Lake Placid isn't what I would call close. Everyone thinks Lake Placid is synonymous with WF, but I thought it was closer than it was. I go to ride. Surrounding amenities don't do much for me.

You must have really been trying...

No a snow snake bit me. Most seasons I fall 3-4 times.

I'm always down for an east coast trip! Preferably a resort with some descent night life!

Justin M recently contacted me and mentioned that dbamf and him were trying to plan a trip.

Sickbird!!!!!

theres awesome bcXcd skiing near both - gore has botheration pond http://www.wildernesspropertymanagement.com/trail-maps--docs.htmland theres tons in the high peaks to check out, hoping to do more of that this winter, so fun!

Whiteface is anticipating a November 27th opening. Its like really northern poconos.

I think most resorts in NY, VT, ME, and NH will be targeting that date this year so that Thanksgiving isn't a total bust. Jiminy and Wa-Wa will probably make a go for it too.

• 2 months later...

Booking some lodging today. Question: Burlington or Montpelier?

I know shit about either area, these are the 2 cities with the cheapest hotels. I really don't feel like sharing a shitter with anyone, so the hostel thing is out. Hope to do 2.5 days at some combination of Stowe, MRG and Sugarbush.

• Like 1

Booking some lodging today. Question: Burlington or Montpelier?

I know shit about either area, these are the 2 cities with the cheapest hotels. I really don't feel like sharing a shitter with anyone, so the hostel thing is out. Hope to do 2.5 days at some combination of Stowe, MRG and Sugarbush.

I would say Stowe or Waitsfield or Montpelior. The barre/Montpelior comfort suites is pretty nice and pretty much equidistant from Stowe and sugarbush. Not Burlington is a solid hour from the major areas.

Montpelier is more central to those resorts. it's a quaint little town. I was there for work last fall. stayed at the comfort inn.  don't stay there, it sucks. good bars and resturants downtown.

That's where I stayed when I visited suppliers in Barre. I thought it was ok but was several years ago.

Bahahaha screw staying in a hostel unless you are an old hippie like Tarponhead :-)

• Like 2

Bahahaha screw staying in a hostel unless you are an old hippie like Tarponhead :-)

Hostel Tevere has a jumpin bar scene on weekends. Wore my fuzzy slippers while hanging at the bar. Highly recommended (wearing fuzzy slippers to a bar that is. I would recommend hostel Tevere too but understand no interest here)

• Like 1

Hostel Tevere has a jumpin bar scene on weekends. Wore my fuzzy slippers while hanging at the bar. Highly recommended (wearing fuzzy slippers to a bar that is. I would recommend hostel Tevere too but understand no interest here)

I was checking that place out and it did look awesome, but as cool as it seems I know I'm going to want more privacy than it offers probably.

Think I'm going to go with the Montpelier econo lodge. Should be a hilarious shithole, but the $ is right