Zee Lights

skifreak

Are hunter or bell gonna be open this weekend?? Elk has weak snowmaking. I don't see them opening for awhile.

Elk has quite a bit of snow made. I think they will be able to open the 9th like they plan. They have been blowing whenever temps permit since the 22nd

Edited by jeff

^^ kind of depends on what kind of base they really had on freedom, but they blew sunday night. I think that was pretty much a waste of electricity though. The cams still do actually show some snow on love, which suprises me with the past 2 days weather.

At the very least I think there will be skiing in Vermont and out west for XMAS.

Yeah, the bigger VT hills will have trails to ski on, but long term forecasts, FWIW, aren't showing much cold weather for them either - even northern VT.

The MRG weather guy says there is some kind of oscillation or blocking pattern, or something, that is stuck in place keeping the warm air over the region.  And whatever it is that is stuck there is hard to dislodge.  So probably 2 weeks of this bullshit.

Or something like that....my eyes glaze over at that stuff, and ultimately, there is nothing we can do about.  But his weather blog is on the mRG site.  

Yeah, the bigger VT hills will have trails to ski on, but long term forecasts, FWIW, aren't showing much cold weather for them either - even northern VT.

The MRG weather guy says there is some kind of oscillation or blocking pattern, or something, that is stuck in place keeping the warm air over the region.  And whatever it is that is stuck there is hard to dislodge.  So probably 2 weeks of this bullshit.

Or something like that....my eyes glaze over at that stuff, and ultimately, there is nothing we can do about.  But his weather blog is on the mRG site.

Two weeks of this bull hit isn't bad. I'm just hoping it doesn't continue like this into January. One thing is for sure if blue opens late they won't stay open later to make up for it.

I remember seasons that were slow to start but never one that was a total washout. Has that ever happened?

Nope no total washouts. Worst I can remember is 2001 when blue opened a few days after XMAS. Doesn't matter if its happened before or not. It will likely happen a few times in our lifetimes as the earths temperature continues to increase. When it does happen I'll be fully prepared to spend at least a month in the Rockies.

In 2007 blue was closed January 6th-10th.